Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
///MG
3rd Gear Member

mods wish list for my 330ci

Hey guys,

as many of you know, I recently picked up an 03 330ci convert in Imola red.

I'm thinking of a couple of small cosmetic upgrades, nothing crazy, just tasteful stuff. Would like to get your opinion.

1) Tints? It's a convertible so in the summer time the windows would most likely be down however I was thinking of going with some very light tints (around 35%?) just to create a better sense of "privacy". Then again, if I'm tinting I might as well go with 20% tints because it'll give the car a stealty look and look pretty cool when the top is up. 35 or 20? what do you think?

2) HID fogs - This one I'm doing for sure. I'd like them to match the Xenons as much as possible so I'm thinking of going with 5000K 35watt ballast or 6000K 50watt ballast. Any comments on 35W vs 50W? (I'd be going digital slim)

3) Angels/halos - I must have read a 100 posts already about these. Seems like a super hard decision. I don't want them to be too bright (overpowering) and I'm looking for that cool white colour all the way around. I've seen some very bright LED ones but I didn't really like them too much, especially when you can really tell each individual light from another. I guess I'm gonna have to do more research about this but if anyone knows of a particular make/model then please share.

4) LED taillights upgrade?

5) blackout grills - matte black

6) red calippers

7) Rims - not on a priority list. I've got the 17" M wheel on it right now with summer Toyos that will last me for the season. I'd like to go up to 19s but my heart is torn between the double spoke Ms and CSLs. For this one I'll keep my eyes out if a good deal comes up. (This might involve lowering the car and such so it's definately the last on my list due to possible costs involved)

8) Exhaust - again, not sure what to do. I'd like a deeper tone to the exhaust but at the same time I can't have it too loud. I'm thinking it would get annoying especially on long summer cruises with the top down.

9) Decals/debading - I was thinking od getting rid of the 330ci and putting an ///M3 and a couple of AC Schnitzer + DINAN + M POWER badges... jk.. lol Just debadging the 330ci. Overlay for the emblems with black out colours. Got some bimmersport stickers... when's the next meet? I gotta get a maxbimmer sticker again lol

10) I'll leave this one to you, any other ideas? I haven't really looked at E46s as much as E36s so I'm not exactly sure what's out there lol

There used to be some guys on here that did tints/vinyl wrapping. Wasn't able to find them in sponsors. Where did they go? My buddy has some stuff that he wants to wrap and I'd like to get the tints done.

Hope to get some feedback from you guys,
Much appriciated,

Mike.
2004 Mitsubishi Galant SOLD
1993 Plymouth Duster SOLD
///MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
dbworld4k
Addict

1) Vert's look good with 35%. Any darker is a bit weird with the top down and windows even remotely up.
2) 5000K 35W seems like it would be more than adequate
3) Get whatever you can that's LED based. They're all similar enough: Orion/60/80/Aurora/whatever. I got mine for less than $100 shipped from Khoalty.com back in the day and have had zero probelms. And they are SUPER bright. At night, they light up my whole driveway without any other lights on. Still visible enough in the day. Mine are also wired to the remote lock/unlock. I love them.
4) ABSOLUTELY! This will update your car SO much. Get the Depo LED tails. One of my favourite mods - it makes the car look half its age from the back.
5) Matte black or Imola
6) Meh, you're choice. Mine are done and they looks pretty crap as they're covered in brake dust and road grime. Ideally get a BBK for that beefy caliper look if that's your aim.
7) CSLs never look bad, but if you want to stay at stock height why not the OEM Style 135M from the ZHPs? One of the best stock E46 wheels IMO.
8) Precisely why I haven't gotten one. The stock exhaust is nice and bassy at low revs. Grab an intake - they make a HUGE difference on the 330s sound. Mine is actually quite loud when I step on it, and completely quiet otherwise. Definitely something you should do IMO. I have a CF Gruppe M style replica. I believe Umnitza still sells these.
EDIT: Speak of the devil: Look what was just listed For Sale! http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141671 Get on that.
9) Debadge or blackout
10) Trunk lip and/or MTech spltters!

Just my $0.02

PS. I love your car. Makes me wish it was mine! I love verts and yours being Imola is just icing on the cake (Imola is my favurite E46 color lol). I look forward to seeing it on the May cruise!

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black

Last edited by dbworld4k; 03-31-2011 at 11:03 PM.
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

1. Go here: www.auto-links.ca I had my tint done there and they are the cheapest (by far) for ceramic tint. I paid under $280 taxes in for pinnacle tint.
2. HATE HID FOGS...no comment otherwise
3. If you don't want the halos to be too bright, there's a diy on fanatics so that you can set the brightness you want (basically wiring in a dimmer switch). Otherwise, support for khoalty, their prices can not be matched.
4. Get OEM LED tails only. I can not stress this enough. It will cost more from the get go, but will save in the end. Eagle eyes are $#!T !!! I had some on my previous car, and much like everyone else had rows of burnt out LEDS. Buy it nice, or buy it twice.
5. This one is personal preference, mine is matte black.
6. If they're stock calipers, don't draw too much attention to them, go black or silver just so they look clean. Stock calipers that are bright red/yellow/blue are for pontiac sunfires.
7. Buy wheels that are easy to clean. I love the look of zhp's, but cleaning between the spokes must be a nightmare. Our brakes dust...period.
8. Not knowledgeable enough to comment.
9. Shave.
10. Maintenance before mods. There's no point putting on $1500 coilovers if your bushings are shot. And mtech ii doesn't help much if your clutch is slipping. And a good detail helps too, it's the cheapest way to make your car turn heads.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
///MG
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the comments guys. Very valuable points. Maintanance is key, in fact I just spent over 1600 at Bimmersport to make sure everythings good to go. Clutch was replaced along with a number of other things. FYI: the cruise control (as per my previous post) was not working because the clutch was worn. With the new clutch in the cruise is back in business . Also, my key fobs are fixed - they had to replace the mirror cause the transmitter was shot and the mirror they got me is actually an upgrade from the stock - it comes with the garage door buttons - thanks World Fine Cars.

I'm gonna check out the site for the halos and I think I will go with the HIDs.

Good idea with the intake.

Matte black coming soon.

Shave badges coming soon.

For the tails I heard mixed reviews. Most agree to get OEM.

I don't know if the BBK has a point. I wouldn't track the car so I won't have a real use for it.

Rims... Gotta keep the eyes open for now.

I'll keep you posted and if you come up with any other ideas let me know.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
dbworld4k
Addict

As for the LEDs, I've been using the Depo ones for about two years without a single problem. If you have a 02+ car (which you do) then OEM can be more reasonable. Unfortunately for me, I would require a new LCM and a recode to make them compatible which was simply too expensive.

Past:
Old 04-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Stock calipers look cheesy if they are painted anything other than black or silver.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
///MG
3rd Gear Member

So I had a look at Khoalty. There's some really cool things there and prices are good too! The angels are $50. I should get the HID / Xenon / Projector (Also fits P46) fitment right? I'm also gonna pick up the matte black grilles for $35, LED license plate lights and i'm tempted to get the carbon splitters for $110.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

Assuming you have projectors with xenon lights, then yes, that's the fittment you're lookng for.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
///MG
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
Assuming you have projectors with xenon lights, then yes, that's the fittment you're lookng for.
Thats the one I have. I was just confused - thought that 2003s all came with projectors.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

Xenon was an option on all E46's, including M3's. As rare as it is, there are E46 M3's with halogen headlights.

All '04+ coupes and convertibles (non-M) have projectors, but some have halogen projectors, others xenon projectors.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
Xenon was an option on all E46's, including M3's. As rare as it is, there are E46 M3's with halogen headlights.
All M3s have HIDs, all 330s have HIDs, I think it was only an option on 325/323/320. I think all 325s might also have them not sure.

In Canada no M3s had Halogen low beams...

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 04-04-2011 at 10:09 PM.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #12
dbworld4k
Addict

Dunno about Canada, but I know in the US it was an option on 330s and M3s.

Past:
Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

I don't see why Canada would be different, but:

http://www.madrussian.net/m3/standardspecs.shtml

Check the exterior section, that clearly shows Xenon was an option. As for 325's, definitely an option, and 330's had it definitely as an option. All facelifted 330 coupes have H7 halogen projectors in place of the xenon projector if the option wasn't purchased.

Where did you get the info that Canadian spec M3's had different headlight options?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Yeah that makes no sense. Was an option.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum//showthread.php?p=2624738
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
If you're going to do HID foglights, I suggest getting your housing replaced with a projector, else you will be blinding oncoming traffic. I tried it with my car, ended up getting projectors the next day because they lit all the way up to rooftops of houses.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: