Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Yikes. Yeah this is why I always use jack stands AND the jack as a backup AND ramps as a last resort. I won't use a creeper for the exact reason described, convenience is far outweighed by a car on your chest (pun not intended). I also use extreme caution when applying a significant amount of torque... you just never know.

-J
jaym3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

SIR good point, I use hardwood blocks, spared from the fireplace. They are extremely tough. One good thing about wood is that the car will press itself into the wood a tiny bit, and wood is very slip resistant. Just make sure it's a nice square chunk as you don't want it tipping.

B6T also made a good point with the removed rims/tires. I have a few winter wheels I put under the back of the car when I was removing the rear subframe. I used hardwood all along the sides of the car.

Creepers: I don't use one, I find them annoying. I think they may be awesome in a nice garage with a smooth floor but not in the driveway. Princess auto sells these thin foam mats that are waterproof you can lay on that, and you can slide under the car easier as well.

If you have any doubts about your setup before you get under give the car a bit of a wiggle as you watch all your jacks/stands/wood, etc. If you notice anything that may suggest it could tip, remove that piece and reposition it.

If you need to use muscle on a bolt, then you can try positioning the wrench in an upward position (so you are lifting the car) and not in a position where you are rocking the car left/right, front/back. Also you can tap the wrench with a mallet, this concentrates the force applied to the wrench and it won't affect the car as much as trying to muscle it off.

To work on a car on the ground ideally you want 2 rolling floor jacks, 2 wheel blocks, 2 jack stands and some hardwood blocks.

I always look around under the car and think what would happen if the jack failed, you need to think this, and think of your head getting crushed because that's what will happen. Always use a backup support.

That being said... I can't wait for nice weather so I can get under my car.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 03-29-2011 at 10:42 AM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

Damn. As a father, I can't imagine the unbearable pain at losing a child, moreover being the one to find them in that state. My heart goes out to the family.
silver 2006 Dodge Charger SXT - performance chip, blue filter Cold Air Intake, 18" chrome 10-spoke rims, custom graphics, leather, custom vinyl interior dress-up, chrome trim package, chrome grill, custom "Punisher" hood badge
Bimmer p.i. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #19
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
It sucks that it would happen to this well educated family in particular...I hope they work their way through the tragedy.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #20
agentM
Detailer, tint, Chipguard

Really sad to hear this kind of tragedy. I always use a jack stand and a jack to support it also because I don't even trust the jack stand alone. That's me. I will teach my son to do the same thing. Very sad to hear this.
agentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #21
E36is
'OldSchool..'

this is an epidemic! just heard on the radio, that some guy in scarboro got crushed working under his civic.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #22
Magic_Black
BMW ID Designer

My cousin passed away like that 2 years ago. He jacked up the vehicle and didn't properly secure it with a jack stand........he was alone at the time. The jack stand gave way and crushed him. He was only 24.
Magic_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #23
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36is View Post
this is an epidemic! just heard on the radio, that some guy in scarboro got crushed working under his civic.
I heard about that today too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #24
woofster
3rd Gear Member

I have ratchet-style jackstands but I'll admit that I don't typically use the additional security pins on them. One thing for sure is I'll be using them from now on.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
Yes...

When introducing young guys to cars please tell them to jackstand under a solid area.

When I'm under there, I jack a bit higher than I need it, slide the jackstand under a hard point. Then I let a bit (not all) of the weight onto the stand so it shares the load with the jack. Make sure the release handle is down in the proper locked position.

This is traumatic for the family that's for sure.
Good point. I do this also plus I put wheel stops, put tranny in gear and apply hand brake. She's not going anywhere.

Also I keep a hard board that I place underneath the stands/jack. Just in case I get a flat and pulled over on soft shoulder
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: