Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Which wheels should I get?
BBS RK 9 40.91%
OZ Superleggera 7 31.82%
ASA FR1 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2003, 07:10 PM   #16
Soldo
6th Gear Member

thinair, your current 19's are NICE but IMO i think the ASA are the best lookin!
they have a BEAUTIFUL DISH on them!!
How much for those?!
Also, whats the difference with MORE PIECES of rims, like between 1 piece rims, 2 and 3 piece?!
performance wise!?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:11 PM   #17
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Nelson , the one peice RK's look better. Keep your 19's for cruising ,meets, and shows. They look soooooooo nice man !
ROB89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:18 PM   #18
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by GR8 Ride
A 17x9 is pretty wide for the front of an E36, especially when you start to drop the car. Could be looking at fender rolling to get it to fit.
I don't plan on going 17x9" on the front, it'd never fit with my coilovers, I'd need like 20mm spacers, which would push the wheel heavily into the fender, which are already rolled.

If I was to go staggared (which I doubt), it'd just be the 8" on the front and the 9" on the rear.

But for balanced handling I guess a non-staggarded setup would be best, unless I was to run the 8" front and 9" rear with 245 wide tires all around....just to have the wider lip on the rear for looks.

Also Rob, the 19's are helping to pay for the 17's, I don't have enough cash to blow on wheels at the moment to justify two sets of wheels laying around (plus the set of 15"s to store the car on). Keeping the 19's is not an option.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:21 PM   #19
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

I used to have staggared wheels, didn't notice a whole lot of understeer, bad thing is that you cannot rotate your tires.
I'd get 17x8.5 all around for your car...
Old 04-14-2003, 07:54 PM   #20
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
I used to have staggared wheels, didn't notice a whole lot of understeer, bad thing is that you cannot rotate your tires.
I'd get 17x8.5 all around for your car...
Yeah, but who makes 17x8.5's at under $2000 a set that weigh 18lbs or less and don't bend easily? I know that'd be ideal, but I can't find them.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-14-2003, 08:26 PM   #21
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
Yeah, but who makes 17x8.5's at under $2000 a set that weigh 18lbs or less and don't bend easily? I know that'd be ideal, but I can't find them.
Maybe Kosei or borbet???
Old 04-14-2003, 08:29 PM   #22
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Try these !

http://www.simmonswheel.com.au/range.html#

these are well known for being top quaity wheels !

TIREMAG carries them !
Old 04-14-2003, 08:55 PM   #23
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
Try these !

http://www.simmonswheel.com.au/range.html#

these are well known for being top quaity wheels !

TIREMAG carries them !
I'm gonna try to limit myself to one piece wheels, or non-bolted/non-takeapartable two piece for cost and weight reasons.

Trust me, I've spent a lot of time trying to look for wheels, the three above choices are pretty much what I want. Right now I'm leaning toward the ASA FR1's, 17x8 all around, but really considering the 9" option for the rear. But the et is like 48 for the rear, I may need 5mm spacers to clear the inner fender/exhaust if I decide to go that route.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:13 PM   #24
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

you want more performance right? well why dont you save your money and get a performance upgrade(turbo,blower). this would offset the extra wait on the 4 corners. in my opinion your going backwards getting 17", not forwards with your car. i think of it this way your wasting 2g's (plus the price differents of what you sell the 19" for and what you paid for them), just to loose wait? save your money dude

my 2 cents
Old 04-14-2003, 09:33 PM   #25
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by windsor318is
you want more performance right? well why dont you save your money and get a performance upgrade(turbo,blower). this would offset the extra wait on the 4 corners. in my opinion your going backwards getting 17", not forwards with your car. i think of it this way your wasting 2g's (plus the price differents of what you sell the 19" for and what you paid for them), just to loose wait? save your money dude

my 2 cents
Well, I apreciate your opinion, but my car will never get blown (forced induction), I'm a big fan of letting the car suck it's own air in. Performance isn't only how fast a car will accelerate and horsepower numbers.

The extra weight on the wheels don't only affect the acceleration. If anything the extra 15lbs or so per corner affects the handling (more unsprung weight). And it also affects braking to a point. Also with the extra 15lbs of weight, the weight get pushed farther to the edge of the wheel (larger rim diameter), which if you know anything about physics will make the wheel harder to start and stop compared to a smaller diameter wheel of equal weight.

These wheels will cost me very little money, if any, by the time I sell my current wheels, so I don't see how I'm losing money. Plus the rims came with the car when I bought it.

I don't think I'm going backwards with 17's, if anything I'm going forwards...faster.

Last edited by thinair; 04-14-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:39 PM   #26
Shamis
6th Gear Member

Dude your car is awsome man.... Awsome

Love the white interior
Shamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:12 PM   #27
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

looks like i can get you to keep em...in that cause i voted superleggeras!!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 10:01 PM   #28
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, the Maxbimmerian community has spoken, I'm ordering 17" BBS RK's on Saturday.

Unfortunately I won't have them on time for the BMW Auto-X next sunday I was really looking forward to enter my first auto-x, and entering with almost bald 15" wheels/tires isn't much of an option.

Also, the ASA FR1's are discontinued from Tiretrends (cheapest place I've found them at), and not too many people have them, so durability may be questionable. If I mess up an RK (dent/curb them), they can be bought anywhere, although they're a little more costly, they at least have a very good rep, and look half decent too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: