Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #106
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
I guess the new Focus hot hatch has some electronic wizardry in the diff to help with torque steer.
Unless I miss my guess, it will have the RevoKnuckle, which is just a new way to lay out a strut front suspension. GM has a similar system they are going to be using.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #107
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Yeah even our regular mazda 3 was in the shop for warranty work.. the high strung engine might be a little worse. :o
Old 04-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #108
everlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Unless I miss my guess, it will have the RevoKnuckle, which is just a new way to lay out a strut front suspension. GM has a similar system they are going to be using.
Yes, it has Revoknuckle (LOL what a stupid name) but uses a customized Quaife diff, both in effort to control the torque steer. edit: unless I'm wrong then, the Quaife wouldn't be electronic. Hmm.. I thought on Top Gear they said it was electronic. Meh who cares, its a Ford lol.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #109
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I have a free extended warranty Thanks to the dealership.

My car has a LSD diff along with a electronic torque converter. It still has bad torque steer but I have enough arm muscle that it doesn't scare me when I going 80 in 2nd gear.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #110
everlast

Free extended warranty?! Great deal!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #111
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Free extended warranty?! Great deal!!!
Yep, extended warranty + rims & winter tires.

Not too bad if you ask me

It's 3grand total for both. 1400$ in rims + tires (winter) and the 1600$ for the other 3 years extended.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #112
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Extended warranty's are the most lucrative scams on the planet!
My brother just bought a 2012 ford mustang and he also got suckered in on a extended warranty BS for 5 years at $1400

Today we are looking at the warranty slip and in fine small print it lists off every part not covered and it's basically every part that fails within 5 years

here is the small print
Not Covered
Service adjustments and cleaning, batteries of all types and cables, belts and hoses, brakes (front hub, drums, disc rotors, pads), shoes, wheel balancing and alignment, linings, coolant, exhaust system (includes catalytic converter), filters, fluids, lubricants, lights (bulbs, sealed beam, lenses), manual clutch disc, shock absorbers, spark plugs and wires, tune-ups, wiper blades, squeaks and rattles.

Last edited by bmwconnect; 04-19-2011 at 10:31 PM.
bmwconnect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #113
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwconnect View Post
My brother just bought a 2012 ford mustang and he also got suckered in on a extended warranty BS for 5 years at $1400

Today we are looking at the warranty slip and in fine small print it lists off every part not covered and it's basically every part that fails within 5 years

here is the small print
Not Covered
Service adjustments and cleaning, batteries of all types and cables, belts and hoses, brakes (front hub, drums, disc rotors, pads), shoes, wheel balancing and alignment, linings, coolant, exhaust system (includes catalytic converter), filters, fluids, lubricants, lights (bulbs, sealed beam, lenses), manual clutch disc, shock absorbers, spark plugs and wires, tune-ups, wiper blades, squeaks and rattles.
That sucks. I know for our Mazda warranty, it's the same as the previous one. Just extended to the full 7yrs/160,000km. We didn't get suckered into it because they gave us it for FREE Only thing that isn't covered is modded stuff (which in turn causes the problem) and friction items like brakes ect.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #114
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
I have a free extended warranty Thanks to the dealership.

My car has a LSD diff along with a electronic torque converter. It still has bad torque steer but I have enough arm muscle that it doesn't scare me when I going 80 in 2nd gear.
Torque converters are part of an automatic transmission. I know they program the car to have a little less "urgency" in the lower gears at wider throttle openings to limit the torque steer though.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #115
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Torque converters are part of an automatic transmission. I know they program the car to have a little less "urgency" in the lower gears at wider throttle openings to limit the torque steer though.
I dunno exactly. Mazda did something for it, it's not so bad, but if you turn off TCS, the wheels spin even in 4th gear.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #116
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwconnect View Post

here is the small print
Not Covered
Those are all wear and maintenance items, save for the headlight lenses and catalytic converters. At any rate, the catalytic converters are covered under the extended emissions warranty.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #117
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Quote:
Those are all wear and maintenance items, save for the headlight lenses and catalytic converters. At any rate, the catalytic converters are covered under the extended emissions warranty.
The mustang already came with 60,000km factory warranty

anyway when I worked at power sports and RV Canada they would often have manufacture reps come in and teach us how to sell there products and why they are better then the competition ext ext. I will never forget what one of the reps said, "you haven't sold the bike(motorcycle, ATV), till you have sold our warranty"

Scenario 1. John Doe walks in with bank draft ready to buy and wants nothing to do with the extended warranty, we could no longer complete the sale, we now had to move the sale to the sales manager so he could try and sell the warranty insurance again.

Scenario 2 . John Doe want's to buy the vehicle and would also like to finance. We are now taught that we can get you a better rate then the bank no problem and we are aloud to make the sale without manager permissions, not only can we make the sale we can now throw in a extended warranty and knock a % off the final price or throw in gear

I guess when your going to triple pay for the car anyway via financeing, the extended warranty sell is a farce

once they have your deposit, they will try and hit you at every angle to try and take your money in every way possible and they will sugar coat it till you give in

Extended warranty's are scams!! Walking into a car stealer ship is no different then walking into future shop

Last edited by bmwconnect; 04-20-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #118
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Oh, I don't doubt that it's a scam (unless you own a German car with a factory-installed turbo -- then it might not be a bad idea). But the fact of the matter is, most of the items you listed are wear items. Wiper blades and brake pads don't get covered under most warranties.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #119
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I can't complain. If my turbo blows the engine up. Mine will be shipped from Japan to the dealership at no cost to me along with a rental of equal or higher value. Like Phil said, it's wear and tare items that don't get covered. Even my exhaust is covered in the extended warranty because it's not an friction item.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #120
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Look at it this way, according to some experts, there is less than a 3% chance that your new car will require major repairs in the first three years, which is how long most extended warranties run. That means you have less than a 1% chance of ever making use of an extended warranty purchase. If you do have a problem during the warranty term, you more likely than not will have paid more for the warranty than you would have paid out of pocket to have the car repaired on it's own, and with more restrictions on where you can take it for service. also there's a good chance your warranty won't cover your problem.

I'm done

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: