Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Steve30
Techno Viking

need tire help

I need to get some new tires for the front (225/45/17). I put new Michelin pilot sport max performance summers on the rear so they are still pretty new. My issue is that I have 2 options. I can either get the Michelin pilot sports for the front or the Dunlop direzza star specs. The price difference is about 40 bucks a tire, the Dunlop being cheaper. How do you guys feel about mixing tires? Are there any unwanted effects by doing so?

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325is winter build
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

The two ends of the car do very different things. People who claim that all four should be the same model are wrong, IMO.

That said, I wouldn't put the Star Spec at the top of your list. Look at the Kumho XS or Hankook RS-3 if you want real all-out performance as they're both faster than the quickly aging Dunlop. Bridgestone RE-11 is the best no-compromise tire for daily driving though; both the Kumho and Hankook aren't great in the wet.

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Steve30
Techno Viking

Thoughts on the Michelins? The Kumho and Hankook look like they have a low tread wear rating but do seem like a good bang for your buck tire.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325is winter build
Old 03-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Mystikal

Well you said Michelin Pilot Sport, which I hope isn't the model. Been out of production for years. If they're PS2s, then yeah, they're great all-around tires but can't hold a candle to the tires I mentioned for all-out performance.

I wouldn't worry about treadwear on the front.

@stancejay
Old 03-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
Steve30
Techno Viking

gonna go with the kumho ecsta xs... I think

edit: trying to choose between these tires is starting to get tiresome.. every review I read they go in opposing directions. most bf.c reviews praise the dunlop because of its well balanced performance (wet and dry). I'm reading reviews on the rs3 and ecsta xs and people are saying the sidewalls are softer than the dunlop. However, the dunlop seems to decrease in grip after they heat up. the RE-11 is probably the best choice and I don't really mind spending the extra $190 but is it really worth it?

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325is winter build

Last edited by Steve30; 03-09-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

What are your plans? Daily driving only? Then they are all overkill.

If you plan to track or autox, I wouldn't bother with the 225s. You want a squared setup for best handling. I don't know why ppl stick with a staggered setup on these cars, it sucks ass.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Steve30
Techno Viking

Probably going to do a couple track days with my brother and his friends so something that performs well would be good. I really only use the car to cruise on the highway at night and some spirited driving. I'd also like to attend a driving school and learn some stuff

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325is winter build
Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
Mystikal

Go with 235/45 or 245/40 (yes, they will fit).

Also, and this is a little ironic given where I'm typing this, never listen to forums about tires. The people giving reviews are just like you, trying one new tire every few years with no basis for their opinion (ask any of them if they've actually sampled every tire in competition with their own...they will obviously say no). Even if you stick with a single tire manufacturer and just buy their newest design every time, you're going to experience great improvements over your last tire...but is it actually better than the rest of its class? Probably not.

Here's some good testing for you: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...-tires-part-2/

@stancejay
Old 03-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Steve30
Techno Viking

Yeah I looked at both the GRM reviews and the competition was definitely very close. I've been kind of looking for 8.5 LTW's to replace the fronts which would look and feel a lot better. Just one issue though, right now I need to run a spacer to clear the front coil. If I were to run an 8.5 up front would I still need a spacer? I'm not sure if the backspacing is the same on the 7.5 and 8.5. Also, I think going 235/45/17 would look too bulky, and unfortunately the Kumho's don't come in 235/40/17 or I would go this route.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325is winter build
Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Mystikal

Yeah, the offset on the 8.5s is the same so there will actually be 12mm LESS space on the inside.

I'll be running 245/40 XS's on my stock 7.5s this year. I haven't tried it personally but there's lots of guys doing the same in SCCA down south. Works well with stiff sidewalls.

@stancejay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: