Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
DIRT_Racer
2nd Gear Member

Diagnostics Port

I see a large connector at the Front top of my Engine, Im assuming this is for the Diagnostics.
1984 318i M10 1.8L engine
Is it a BMW only tool? I have a old Snap-on 2599 Scanner, the one where you put cards in ( I have the Asian and NA card) Is there also a European card set up for this?? just curious its a track only car and I will be doing some REwiring and will move this port if I can connect to it, if not It may get cut out entirely. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Chad

Last edited by DIRT_Racer; 03-09-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: forgot engine size and model
DIRT_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

There isn't much you can read from it, I've never seen anyone use it. The E30 wiring diagrams around the net have the pin out. About the only thing I saw useful was a 'starter bump' that you could use to move the motor while working on it, but other than that, nothing interesting.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
MarkD
Banned

Since your car is a 1984, there is almost no use for the diagnostic connector. The 318 did not even have Motronic, it has Jetronic. The later e30's had some info that you can read, but even then there was not much data available from the round port till around 1988.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
DIRT_Racer
2nd Gear Member

Awsome, thanks guys. one ounce less weight in wiring now on the front of the car!!!
DIRT_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
dmytro
2nd Gear Member

hey everlast when you speak of "starter bump" do you mean shorting pin 11 and 14? I heard of it but never tried...scared of burning something.
dmytro is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: