Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
mgunter
2nd Gear Member

1999 328i

I am looking at purchasing a 99 328i. It has high k's on it (300000 or more). Is there anything I should be worried about? I know to check the rear subframe mounts on these but are there any other common issues on the E46's?

Thank you,
Michael
mgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
E46Dude
Respect ur Parents.

I have a similar car and it hasnt given me any major problems - still fun to drive, lots of power - some of the E46s had rear subframe issues covered by BMW - another cause of complaint was the reverse gear....beyond that nothing else comes to mind.

At the end of the day, it depends on how well the car was maintained - if the previous owners took care of the car - regular oil changes, and no stunt or track driving, then the E46 is a good buy - mileage isent an issue...Ive seen E46s still running strong well over 400k on the meter.
E46Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
mgunter
2nd Gear Member

Well the mileage doesn't worry me. I bought my E30 with over 400000km's and as far as I know this E46 was taken care of (it meant a lot to him which might make it hard to "steal" it as i'm looking for a cheaper beater).

Will BMW come good for the subframe repair? I've heard they put up a fight.
What's the issue with reverse gear?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
E46Dude
Respect ur Parents.

Some early model E46s were prone to the reverse gear conking out - no warning signs, would just not engage. Repair could cost up to 1300$ however this was mostly with 323i's - and it seemed to happen with a lot of US cars as I recall.

Not sure about the sub-frame push back - BMW accepted it was an issue and were obligated to repair. If they ever push-back, threaten them with a lawsuit and they'll fall into line.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
mgunter
2nd Gear Member

The reverse thing is auto's only though right? this ones stick and it's been backed into it's spot so it must be working!

And that's good to know about the subframe. I was a little worried about that because I know of someone who fixed it himself on his 323...but they may not have known about it.

I'm still waiting to hear on a price but i'll definitely have a tech inspect it thoroughly if it's reasonable.

I do know it has black leather sports seats and headlamp washers
Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
hamant
2nd Gear Member

reverse gear was only in auto's but it was not as common as everyone would make you believe

I have 317 000 Km on mine, going to be selling it for $2500 shortly (need to take new pictures).

ive been extremely happy with my car and in a perfect world I wouldn't sell it
hamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
E46Dude
Respect ur Parents.

Yup ^ - same with mine - mine is Auto and 359000 kms on my E46 - no issues whatsoever. My girlfriend's E46 has 220000kms - no issues with hers either.

L
Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
328iInt.o
2nd Gear Member

I'm at 235 000. No major problems but small annoying issues - abs harness shortages.

After 6 years, she's still taking me to work on time :-)
328iInt.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Common isses that either will, would have needed replacing or shoud have been..

Climate Kit $XXX
Valve cover gasket $XXX
Oil filter housing $XXX
Vanos (not always but a rebuild is possible at that mile level) $XXX-$XXXX
Rear springs/shocks $XXX
Resistors $XX (Listen to the fan when using the air for a whoosh whoosh sound)
Possible coolant leaks with older plastic hoses and elbows, water pump etc $XXX-$XXXX
Some miner light issues, HID or not the module switch likes to go sometimes...I could go on but you are best to take it to a bmw garage and have them check for these common issues or you will end up spending as much on repairs shortly as the car cost.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
mgunter
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iInt.o View Post
I'm at 235 000. No major problems but small annoying issues - abs harness shortages.

After 6 years, she's still taking me to work on time :-)
That's what I need...something to get me to work. And then I was thinking Corsa exhaust so I sound good doing it!

And thank you Blackedout. That is exactly what I was looking for. I mean things like shocks and valve cover gasket are things you would check on anything, but the list does give me something to think about. The closest BMW dealership is in Ottawa and I was just going to get it inspected at work but I think I may take it to someone else who knows a little more about them.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Dude View Post
At the end of the day, it depends on how well the car was maintained - if the previous owners took care of the car - regular oil changes, and no stunt or track driving..
There's nothing wrong with tracking a car, as long as it's maintained properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
stsyed
1st Gear Newbie

how much does it cost to change the valve cover gasket? I've been quoted $400 with parts and labour.. seems a bit high.. is this average??
stsyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
stsyed
1st Gear Newbie

I have a 99 328i.. with over 353km, the car runs perfectly fine, engine is in top shape, need a valve cover gasket now.. other than that, just regual mantainence..
stsyed is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: