Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

I think people do it to appear more baller than they actually are. However, it's true that most non-enthusiasts and/or females (if that's who you're trying to impress) won't know the difference/give a shit, whereas most enthusiasts (even non-BMW guys) will know you're an impostor and probably laugh at you. So it's kinda pointless.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer p.i. View Post
so did you do a whole S52 engine swap, or bore out a 2.8?

it is kind of funny, the two extremes. On one end are the 'meh - I don't care. Your car, do what you want", then other end is the "burnin's to good for'm! Hangin's too good for'm!" - there's really very little middle ground in this 'debate'.
S52 swap + 5spd conversion + m3 brakes, spindles, steering rack, control arms, control arm bushings, subframes, trailing arms, axles, master cylinder, abs unit, exhaust, etc. Yeah, fell all the way into the rabbit hole. And still not done, although really close. And then the next project, swapping all the rear bits and welding the floor reinforcements. I am going to sharpie an S onto the vin, I ****ing deserve it.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's

Last edited by Axxe; 03-02-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
I am going to sharpie an S onto the vin, I ****ing deserve it.
haha! I actually just finished reading the thread re: the project build up - quite the undertaking! When it's finished, it'll be quite the machine. Best of luck.

I was kind of thinking, too - comparing to my old muscle car days. In 1970, only a big block could get you an R/T nameplate, then in '71, they added the 340cid small block to the line-up of R/T cars. Still had the same suspension, brakes, etc but basically lowered their standards as to what an R/T was. Kind of like how they put an SRT on a frickin Neon! Then again, an SRT-4 can haul a$$ with a bit of aftermarket goodies.

That said, maybe the idea of someone adding the higher grade badging to a car, whether it's Type-R, R/T, M-class, or whatever, is the old "fake it til you make it' mentality. You can't have the real deal, so make the fake thing look like it. The real catch is to not try to BS those in the know. I own an Omega Seamaster 2541.80, and if someone is sporting a Hong Kong knock off, fine. but don't try to pass it off as a real Omega. You'll just look like an idiot. I worked with a guy in the early 90's who drove a Fiero, and SWORE that his fake Rolex was real. One day I had to tell him that real Rolex's don't 'tick' and the gold doesn't tarnish! He still stuck by his story though.
silver 2006 Dodge Charger SXT - performance chip, blue filter Cold Air Intake, 18" chrome 10-spoke rims, custom graphics, leather, custom vinyl interior dress-up, chrome trim package, chrome grill, custom "Punisher" hood badge

Last edited by Bimmer p.i.; 03-02-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Bimmer p.i. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
Axxe

See, I have a pair of replica watches, simply because I couldn't afford the real deal, meanwhile I love the design of them. I will own real versions of my replicas though, once I have a steady income.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #20
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

I see - so if I like the design of the ///M3 but can't afford the "real deal" then by having a fake one I am to be ridiculed and shunned but having a $100 knock off of my $5000 watch is okay?

Where is the line, exactly?
silver 2006 Dodge Charger SXT - performance chip, blue filter Cold Air Intake, 18" chrome 10-spoke rims, custom graphics, leather, custom vinyl interior dress-up, chrome trim package, chrome grill, custom "Punisher" hood badge
Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #21
Axxe

Some watch guys are snobs, just like some BMW guys are snobs. Also, I don't go around saying "hey guys, check out my seamaster planet ocean!" when in fact it's a fake. 5k is about the difference between a used m3 and non-m (in e36's), so it's about equivalent. I personally wouldn't have a 5k car and a 5k watch. Different strokes. I don't even wear a watch anymore, I **** them up no matter what, so it doesn't hurt to lose $100, but if I lost a 5k watch I'd be pissed.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #22
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I see - so if I like the design of the ///M3 but can't afford the "real deal" then by having a fake one I am to be ridiculed and shunned but having a $100 knock off of my $5000 watch is okay?

Where is the line, exactly?
You already summed it up in your previous post; it's okay to have the "knock off" so long as you're not trying to pass it off as the real thing.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
You already summed it up in your previous post; it's okay to have the "knock off" so long as you're not trying to pass it off as the real thing.
seemingly, but semantically the question isn't answered. Any watch that looks like, say, an Omega, but has 'Citizen' on the face may look similar, but isn't being perported to be something that it isn't, like an E36 with its original 323is badge and an M body kit - it may look like an M3 on the outside, but it still has 323 guts.

To wear a fake Omega, much like to badge a non M car with M3 badges, you may not tell people it's real (watch or car) BUT as long as the name is on it, it gives the impression it's real, even if it isn't and even if you don't tell people it is real.

I am not accusing Axxe of going around saying "look at my James Bond watch! It's real, and it's spectacular!" but just wearing it gives a false impression. BUT even a fake Omega is still a nice looking watch, and if he likes how it looks, and it keeps time, screw it! Why pay for the real deal when it will do for now? Those who know it's fake will know, and those who don't, don't. That's not his problem.

Same thing - if a guy puts an R/T badge on his 318 Challenger, as long as he doesn't try to say that it's a factory R/T then who is he hurting? Does it make him look bad that he did that? Maybe - but to (as Axxe put it) car snobs that know the difference. To anyone else, it's just a kick-ass muscle car. I think maybe the idea of rebadging a car, whether an R/T, an M3 or a Type-R (whatever) the idea is less about how others may perceive it, and more about how the owner feels about it. Axxe doesn't wear a knock off for other people, he wears (or wore) it because he likes how it looks, and when he looks at the time, maybe enjoys the idea of having that time peice there, and knowing that one day it'll be the real thing.

Bottom line - let people do whatever the hell they want as long as they aren't selling it to someone unsuspecting, or lying to people to make themselves feel better.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #24
BMRSPORT
PelonsM

i picked up a ragtop 318i, swapped an s52 motor and the rest of the M3 drivetrain into it also picked up vader interior,3 spoke M steering wheel, M cluster, bumpers and moldings to lazy to even go on with the list lol... other then the M3 badges on my door moldings and door sills i would not slap on the M3 trunk badge not because i care what anybody thinks just prefer not to ... aslong as your enjoying your (Ultimate driving machine) F**K what everybody else thinks

Last edited by BMRSPORT; 03-07-2011 at 03:26 PM.
BMRSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #25
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

s52 vert - niiiice. I hada go Sedan for work/parent duty, but would love to get into a vert some day.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #26
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

ah.. the fake badge debate! who REALLY cares what other people think? haha a nice bmw is a nice bmw. as others have mentioned 99% of girls don't know or care the difference between a 325is and an M3.. especially a 12 year old car

In general though, I think NO badges are best, I like to have as little writing on my car as possible, clean rear end - no dealership stickers, Model, or "alpina" type badges, clean simple license plate surrounds. Euros do it best baby.

I'm actually thinking about de-badging my M3, any poseurs wanna buy the badge?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #27
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

Y'know at this point I'm tempted to do it just to piss people off
Old 03-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #28
rider-.
3rd Gear Member

do it, you wont....... why would u want to rebadge anyways, u gain sleeper status this way, the guy thinks he got his ass handed to him by a 1.9L bmw.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #29
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Y'know at this point I'm tempted to do it just to piss people off
Anyone who would get mad at that probably needs to get a life. But people would point and snicker for sure

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: