Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

We don't need no stinkin' badges

I have seen 'Spotted' threads where some guy has smacked M badges on a non-M car and understand that this frowned upon, and I can certainly understand why - but here's my question -

As a Dodge muscle car guy, if someone takes a regular - let's say 1970 Challenger 318cid small block car and completely redoes it - big block motor, transmission, beefier leaf springs, larger torsion bars, and all other aspects of the R/T performance package of the model, and he puts R/T badges on it, it's considered perfectly fine, as long as they don't change the VIN or fender tags to make it look factory. A big block R/T is just cooler and more enjoyable, anyway but costs a lot less to mod a rallye car than to buy an R/T. We call this a 'clone'. It is often done with the E-body cars such as Challengers and 'Cudas.

So if a guy takes a regular 3-series car and makes all the mods that would be found in a legit M car - body kit, suspension, exhaust, engine modifications (without the displacement but the injectors, M50 manifold, intake etc.) but doesn't do too much on the interior (stock seats over 'vaders') is he still an asshole to put M badges on it then?

I certainly don't plan on this myself (don't want to put that kind of cash into the project, quite frankly) but was just asking as I am still new to this community and to these cars and was curious where the line was.
silver 2006 Dodge Charger SXT - performance chip, blue filter Cold Air Intake, 18" chrome 10-spoke rims, custom graphics, leather, custom vinyl interior dress-up, chrome trim package, chrome grill, custom "Punisher" hood badge
Bimmer p.i. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer p.i. View Post
I have seen 'Spotted' threads where some guy has smacked M badges on a non-M car and understand that this frowned upon, and I can certainly understand why - but here's my question -

As a Dodge muscle car guy, if someone takes a regular - let's say 1970 Challenger 318cid small block car and completely redoes it - big block motor, transmission, beefier leaf springs, larger torsion bars, and all other aspects of the R/T performance package of the model, and he puts R/T badges on it, it's considered perfectly fine, as long as they don't change the VIN or fender tags to make it look factory. A big block R/T is just cooler and more enjoyable, anyway but costs a lot less to mod a rallye car than to buy an R/T. We call this a 'clone'. It is often done with the E-body cars such as Challengers and 'Cudas.

So if a guy takes a regular 3-series car and makes all the mods that would be found in a legit M car - body kit, suspension, exhaust, engine modifications (without the displacement but the injectors, M50 manifold, intake etc.) but doesn't do too much on the interior (stock seats over 'vaders') is he still an asshole to put M badges on it then?

I certainly don't plan on this myself (don't want to put that kind of cash into the project, quite frankly) but was just asking as I am still new to this community and to these cars and was curious where the line was.
That's the difference between domestic and foreign, especially bmw's. A "clone" is not worth as much as an original. any collector will not want a clone and would be willing to pay the premium on an original. Since muscle cars are very limited now and earn their keep. Cloning something that is original into something that isn't actually takes away from its value. But! I suppose regardless of what people think, and everyone has an opinion. If someone whats to badge their car an R/T when it's not, then really who gives a rats ass whether you want to badge your non- M car when it comes down to it. It's yours and whether people agree or not makes no diff at the end of the day. We aren't in the dark ages where you get banished from the village for heracy and blasphemy!!!! LOL

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

well, just putting an M3 badge on, say a stock 318i then getting your ass handed to you by a guy in his mom's Accord makes the M-name look bad! We certainly don't want the backwards-hat-brigade thinking that Hondas can now beat an M car!! This I can understand as heracy!

But tooling around in a 328 that's had the proper mods to it so it can hold its own is another thing. Do what you want with your own car, just don't make the rest of us look bad doing it

thank you for your thoughts, Ceeker
silver 2006 Dodge Charger SXT - performance chip, blue filter Cold Air Intake, 18" chrome 10-spoke rims, custom graphics, leather, custom vinyl interior dress-up, chrome trim package, chrome grill, custom "Punisher" hood badge
Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer p.i. View Post
More often then not the ///M badge is the only mod that is done to the car.
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Helka
BMW4LIFE

Doesnt the M badge give the car 5HP?

CURRENT RIDE
07 BMW 328i

PREVIOUS RIDES
1994 BMW 318i
1993 SATURN SC1
1989 TOYOTA MR2 SUPERCHARGED
1975 BMW 2002
Helka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

Depends on which - the trunk badge is 5 but the door trim is only 3
Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
blk3
4th Gear Member

lol nice. i was told by one guy that i should slap an m badge on my car because he thinks that would get all the ladies lol. i told him if i was to do something like that i would put in the m motor and leave the outside as is but thats just me i guess.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
davericher20
black and blue

it's a matter of preference, some people won't care while others will flame you.

I'm suprised that the domestic scene is different where it's accepted by everyone.

IMO If it's not a real M then trying to be like one is pathetic (maybe a little harsh)

It seems to me that most people who have M badges on non-M cars are uneducated about the brand, and only care about what the uninformed regular idiot on the street thinks.

Again maybe a little harsh lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

Makes me laugh, that - like most chicks even know the difference

When I had my 440 Challenger a guy once said that it must be a real p**sy magnet - seriously?? To a girl it's just a loud, smelly old car with lap belts and no A/C!!

M or not a BMW is still a BMW!

so this begs the question then - as a noob, I'm curious to what would a person "in the know" look for (other than the engine valve cover) on the exterior to know the difference? I woudl like to be able to spot the difference, and identify a fake.

The body of a Challenger is the same for a base vs. R/T, except for some of the hoods - what are the M vs. non-M differences to the body? Other than the obvious bumpers/mirrors/skirts. Is the hood different? Lights? Grille? doors? etc

Last edited by Bimmer p.i.; 03-01-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
joey79
2nd Gear Member

The exterior differences are front and rear bumpers, skirts, mirrors, moldings. All of the M sheet metal is the same as non-M. Some wannabes might even change the engine cover, so another way to tell by looking under the hood is the location of the oil cap on the valve cover, and the color of the oil filter housing. If the oil filler cap is towards the front of the valve cover and the oil filter housing has the silver aluminum top, it's an s50/52. Or you could look at the vin. VINs starting with "wba" = non-m, "wbs" = m.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

exhaust is usually the big one. M badges tend to be places on single tipped 318's and 320's the most (on e36's)

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #12
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

muscle car guys are some of the biggest r*cers ever...seriously.

its frowned upon this generation to do that kind of thing to any car...regardless of origin.

anyone who talks about cars being chick magnets is a dumba55.

Last edited by SiR; 03-02-2011 at 12:57 AM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
pawcio
6th Gear Member

it also the mentality between N.A and Europe. i've probably brought this up before but there are european spec non-M cars that come M badged. and this is since the 70's or early 80's

personally though i wouldn't put an M3 badge on my car, but I don't think there's anything wrong with having M badges on a car...or at least i don't care if other people do it. i'd also be more accepting of it if some M-like mods were done but i wouldn't get my panties in a bunch about it like a lot of people.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

My e36 is basically an m3 at this point minus the wbs vin, and there is no way I'd rock an m3 badge. I might make a custom 332i badge, or just debadge it (most likely).

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
My e36 is basically an m3 at this point minus the wbs vin, and there is no way I'd rock an m3 badge. I might make a custom 332i badge, or just debadge it (most likely).
so did you do a whole S52 engine swap, or bore out a 2.8?

it is kind of funny, the two extremes. On one end are the 'meh - I don't care. Your car, do what you want", then other end is the "burnin's to good for'm! Hangin's too good for'm!" - there's really very little middle ground in this 'debate'.

Last edited by Bimmer p.i.; 03-02-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: