The goal was to swap out my SUPER low diff (2.79LSD) with a higher ratio one (3.73LSD) after an "i" swap for my eta. I finally found a use for my Princess Auto motorcycle jack!!
Dropping and reinstalling the diff was easy. I replaced the speed sensor (from old diff) and bought a new o-ring, plus axle shaft seals. Getting out the passenger side axle was easy, the driver's side I think has never been out of this 1985 rear suspension. I tackled this as the boots were cracked but not through. I was warned replacing the boots myself was a messy job.....
I destroyed a cold punch hammering on the driver's side to no avail. Backed off the nut a bit and hit it with the socket on the end. Nothing. Took a heavy duty 3 arm puller to the axle with the arms supported by the back of the hub. Nothing. Using a breaker bar I tightened down that mofo until I swear something was going to blow apart. Nothing! Bought a new IR 3000BPM air hammer and killed the end of the pointed chisel as well. I'll use this air hammer in the future no doubt.
... then my good buddy gave me an idea. Once the puller is tightened down as much as you can whack a few times the end of the puller rod. This will shock the axle while under stress. Did this and a half turn, wack, half turn and wack. This went on about 5 times until turning the puller got slightly easier. The noise this axle made coming out of the hub was obscene.
The axle dropped out not without swelling the threaded section a bit. Tip leave the nut on as much as you can to minimize the swell and "rethread" the spline backing the nut off if you damage anything. This was my first time repacking an axle and replacing boots. Seeing how the CV joint worked was interesting. Typical wear marks on the inside spider gear (or whatever its called) but no pitting. I repacked everything and swapped the driveshaft sides to get even wear BECAUSE I AM NOT DOING THIS AGAIN!!!
I'm a little concerned how hard I had to beat on the driver's side to get it back into the hub even with liberal amounts of lube. Perhaps a new halfshaft is in my future. If thats the case, so is a new hub.
Also Bilstein sport shocks to go in this week as well.
Anyway later this week I'll put in the driveshaft and torque all the nuts and changed the diff fluid. Will report back.