Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Syn
1st Gear Newbie

Question > Moisture buildup on oil filler cap, recommended PCV Update?

Mechanic took a look at the E46 I purchased and this was the only thing on the list I kind of had a question about.

What is a PCV Update?

He said that the vehicle had kind of a white residue build-up around oil filler cap and labor is described as - "REPLACE CRANK CASE VENTILATION SYSTEM WITH COLD WEATHER PARTS"

Valve
Return Pipe
Vent Hose
Dip Stick Tube

He also mentioned this does not have to be the case 'but'

Wondering if this is something I absolutely need done?

Thank you.
Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

is can be depends on if u do alot of shorts trips or the person before who u just bought it from. but it can cause damage. i seen a car where it was frozen and your cars smokes like crazy and i seen where is was busted and it sucks oil into the intake and filled the cylinder with oil and hydro locked it and the dealer said the motor was seized lol
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
oakville46
2nd Gear Member

This issue can lead to a whole slew of problems later on if not taken care of. One guy had his engine sieze up on the hwy. I had the issue and it ended up popping my valve cover gasket and small crack in the valve cover also. Some people have been lucky that they got the easy end of it.

Best is to take care of the issue as soon as possible. If you only drive short distances during the winter, take the car out for a couple nice longer drives once a week - something for a good hour to allow the engine to warm up to a good operating temperature. These winters with short drive trips are not friendly to E46 valve covers.
oakville46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

There's a cold climate / Canada version of the part that should be installed. Not a cheap job, but can save you from buying a new motor.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Syn
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakville46 View Post
This issue can lead to a whole slew of problems later on if not taken care of. One guy had his engine sieze up on the hwy. I had the issue and it ended up popping my valve cover gasket and small crack in the valve cover also. Some people have been lucky that they got the easy end of it.

Best is to take care of the issue as soon as possible. If you only drive short distances during the winter, take the car out for a couple nice longer drives once a week - something for a good hour to allow the engine to warm up to a good operating temperature. These winters with short drive trips are not friendly to E46 valve covers.

I drove the car for 200km last night and it was -35 so that should def help out I guess

With that being said is it something I can get away with because summer is around the corner and this is only a winter problem or should change it immediately?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
phill_e46
3rd Gear Member

Well if your crank case valve is bad I think that your oil consumption would increase and from what I understand all Canadian e46 came with the cold weather version of the ccv but not 100percent
Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
oakville46
2nd Gear Member

Mine car has the cold weather package and it still failed on me. Doesn't matter if spring/summer is around the corner. When the part wants to fail it will and it can cost you a ton if it happens at the wrong time and you don't notice it.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
phill_e46
3rd Gear Member

Well That's very true I only stated because I think I read some where saying that he needed a cold weather version But I don't think that's the problem he would of mentioned about oil consumption
Old 03-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
Syn
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakville46 View Post
Mine car has the cold weather package and it still failed on me. Doesn't matter if spring/summer is around the corner. When the part wants to fail it will and it can cost you a ton if it happens at the wrong time and you don't notice it.
Ugh, I guess I can take it in for 2nd opinion and see where that leads me, 1st mechanic said its showing signs with the buildup around oil filler.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
DTP
Banned

bring it to RMP, those guys can figure anything out!
DTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
oakville46
2nd Gear Member

I'm a proponent of if you hear it "sounds different" or some "squeek/rubbing noise" get it checked out asap. I've come close to blowing a motor in past and having entire brake systems fail so I never chance things anymore.

Best case for you Syn is to take it in to another shop and have them check it out and see what they say. In the end its up to you on whether to fix it or not worry about it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: