Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Windsor, Ontario **NEW**
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
goldhawk
1st Gear Newbie

New guy with an e30

Hi, Pretty new to the forum, I've been just watching for a while
I got an '87 BMW 325e for a project
Bought it from Kingsville, the car is pretty clean for its age.

I found some hidden rust that I patched (known areas of rot on e30's)

Over the winter its getting lowered, and all bushings replaced, camber/toe adjustors etc...

Then after that I'm doing a motor swap, with a Solstice GXP motor (LNF)
goldhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

Should be fun! Why that motor out of curiosity? Any challenges with that swap?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
goldhawk
1st Gear Newbie

I've been interested in ecotec motors for a while, my original plan was to build up my own with itb's and stuff... I was really wanting to build my own super 7 someday (Caterham), so that's why the 4cyl interest. Then this motor became available to me at a great price, and I know its a pretty "bulletproof "motor. Its tuned and likely pushing 350hp or so now...
There are a few challenges with this swap...
-drive by wire
-custom motor and tranny mounts
-possibly reshaping crossmember in front
-custom GM to BMW driveshaft
List goes on...
Old 12-15-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
good luck with the build, ACP performance in windsor is a great place to go if you need help with your e30, you'll find his post on the forum if you havent already been there

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

I have no experience with that particular motor, but I have owned many GM cars in my time and not once ever in 20 years did one engine last more than 200,000km

I hate to be a thread pooper but I can't believe anything GM made/makes is bulletproof... although they did make tanks some years ago....

why not just turbo-rape and m20?
Vrbovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
goldhawk
1st Gear Newbie

I have known many GM engines to go well over 300k. The LS series of motors they currently make are great, many and putting out 1000+ HP on stock internals.
The LNF in particular has forged rods, and crank, high pressure piston oil squirters, channels are cast into the underside of the piston which make oil flow all throughout the piston, titanium intake valves, sodium filled inconel exhaust valves, twin scroll turbo.
Guys are pushing over 25psi of boost on daily drivers. Its a strong motor.
I'm doing the swap cause its what I want to do, simply put... its a project, something for me to play with and I think it'll be pretty sweet when it's all done.

Yep, I've talked to Alex at ACP a few times already, he's been very helpful.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
cormier
6th Gear Member

Wow man yeah sounds like a cool swap -- I've got some respect for GM I used to work at a dealership shop ... And in an e30 it'll be wicked for sure

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

Nice looking car...

Look up www.leatheriquecanada.com for those leather seats... working on my set of seats right now with similar cracks... don't over sand the seats like I did though! I'm sure they'll turn out great.

Very similar to my 325IS, and I have to give a +1 to Alex at ACP, great guy to work with, he bailed me out on my project which included everything from fixing some body damage from the previous owner to replacing the gas tank. Also working on a track car project with him.

He has a facebook group page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/223055971054286/

Anyhow, let me know if you're looking for a certain part, I'm sure Alex can help you out too, I have 4 E30's in pieces in my basement though

later,
Nerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
AlexRush
1st Gear Newbie

Hi pete!!!

that LNF is the most bulletproof LNF i know of lol

5252rpm.com
AlexRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
davericher20
black and blue

+1 on GM engines, my DD 2006 impala has 270k on it right now. The Tranny though.......different story. That's a unique swap, GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

a lot of the gm mechenics i know drive cavaliers and sunfires..lol 400+k no problem

isnt ecotec saab motor? or is it the other way around.. saab use ecotec..
Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
goldhawk
1st Gear Newbie

From what I know, the original ecotec design was engineered by saab, while under GM ownership - after the original design GM took more control of the project. I think the original architecture was for a v6 as well.... This is a gen2 ecotec, they were put in pretty much every vehicle under the GM umbrella. Gen3 is coming out soon.
As for the leather seats... one side bolster on the driver seat has a golf ball sized chunk taken out of it. I'm looking to get new sport seats, possibly recovering, or retrofitting some other seats...
Just yesterday I started on the tear down of my front suspension... the control arms suck... the inner ball joint is impossible to get to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: