Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
///Lucid
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up Good Purchase?

Hi guys,
It's my first time posting. Was going to introduce myself back when i was driving my 92 325i but since the accident i been busy. But that's for another time! Great seeing all these enthusiasts in my area! Anyways (poppin my cherry) i'm looking to buy an e36 m3 front for my 318. Should i jump on this even with the high shipping and handling rates? In total it should come to US$285.00. First time buying from states. Advise/Help/past experiences buying off ebay from a US vendor would be very appreciated. Thanks. P.S excited for the meets this summer! Been long overdue for me
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-E36-M3-FRONT-...9bb7f017f#shId

Last edited by ///Lucid; 02-08-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: it's 5am..i made a mistake, jeez!
///Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

It'll be way more landed (taxes, duty, brokerage fees). It looks like the DDM bumper, which is fine as far as quality goes.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

welcome!
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Find out how they ship -- if they use UPS, you will have to pay sales tax and a minimum of $50 in brokerage fees on top of the ridiculous $180 for shipping.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
///Lucid
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking it will be close to $400 after all the special shipping fees. Anyone know some local canadian vendors that sell OEM replica body parts?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
///Lucid
2nd Gear Member

I do have family in california i could have them purchase is and they could ship??
Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

if you have family in CA have them pick it up (depending where they are in CA) and ship it to us address in lewiston and just make the drive borderside (make a weekend trip or a day of stateshopping) save yourself a ton that way
or have them ship it to you themselves
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Ship it to Ogdensburg or Massena. Usually the brokerage fees and shipping over the border are the killer.

Shipping always sucks. So many places ship in the US free but over the border, it's full price ++.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
///Lucid
2nd Gear Member

Found a shop in TO..extremeparts and they have m3 reps! Going for $229 for an UltraFlex - FRP finished in gelcoat that's not so bad! Gave them a call and they had both this and a plastic forged bumper going for $199. Thoughts? Perhaps even people who've heard of them. Really considering these guys instead of going through all that overcharged shipping.

http://www.extremeparts.ca/new/index...mart&Itemid=36
Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

FRP is fibreglass, which isn't the best material for bumpers. It's more prone to breakage, which is especially bad in a colder climate.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
FRP is fibreglass, which isn't the best material for bumpers. It's more prone to breakage, which is especially bad in a colder climate.
Not exactly. AFAIK, FRP is very flexible and is not prone to cracking. It's not fiberglass, it's fiberglass reinforced plastic.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Any "fibreglass" bumper is plastic reinforced with glass fibres-- FRP is just a more literal way of saying it. There is a type that appears very flexible in E-Bay ads, but I haven't seen it in person. They don't specify that this is the flexible type.

At any rate, you don't want a bumper that is less flexible, and more prone to cracking.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

I consider any body part with "gel-coat" on it to be crap- especially fiberglass!

I've bought 2 front M3 bumpers from DDM before and for the price, you can't really beat it.
Its made of PP (polypropylene, same as OEM parts) and the fitness is great. You may have to make some adjustments but they are great bumpers for what you pay.

IRRC, I paid a total of $250 for the bumper, shipping and UPS COD charges.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
///Lucid
2nd Gear Member

I was talking with the guys over at extremeparts and he advised me to go with the plastic bumper instead...what do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post
I consider any body part with "gel-coat" on it to be crap- especially fiberglass!

I've bought 2 front M3 bumpers from DDM before and for the price, you can't really beat it.
Its made of PP (polypropylene, same as OEM parts) and the fitness is great. You may have to make some adjustments but they are great bumpers for what you pay.

IRRC, I paid a total of $250 for the bumper, shipping and UPS COD charges.
Initially i bought an m3 bumper from DDM, came out to like 308 with shipping (without customs fees)...called them two days after my purchase to see the status of my shipment, lady tells me that they don't ship bumpers to canada. Sooo she just refunded my order. I kept hearing that canadian's bought from DDM but i guess bumpers are no longer shipped over here. I do intend to get some Depo's w HID Kits and some angels in a month or two.

Such a hassle trying to find this bumper....
Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

I you guys want the DDM bumper, I can get it for you. They will ship to a business (8legs Racing) via my UPS account. PM if you're serious and I can help you out, but it would have to be 3 or more to make it worth it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: