Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #46
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Rusty fenders? front or rear? Front is cheap maybe 200 painted a side. 75 for just a replacement fender. The rears are harder, maybe 80 for each fender outer, but usually the inner is rusted as well and needs to be patched then the outer welded on, sealed, then body work with bondo and paint.... probably 500 - 800 a side.

Doing it all yourself will be cheaper = parts + material costs + time.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #47
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
Rusty fenders? front or rear? Front is cheap maybe 200 painted a side. 75 for just a replacement fender. The rears are harder, maybe 80 for each fender outer, but usually the inner is rusted as well and needs to be patched then the outer welded on, sealed, then body work with bondo and paint.... probably 500 - 800 a side.

Doing it all yourself will be cheaper = parts + material costs + time.
Wow $500-$800 per side! I wasn't expecting that much...

All four fenders have rust.

The front two are really not bad, it's just starting out on the bottom.

One rear fender has very minor rust that is barely noticeable and the other rear one is getting bad.

I wish I was able to do body work but I think that is beyond my abilities.
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #48
defaultName
5th Gear Member

I feel really really stupid right now.

I only know just remembered that all this time I had a BMW fault code reader and I could have just checked the fault code causing my check engine light to come on.

Apparently it's my AFM so I guess I will replace it and see if that sorts out my idle issue.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #49
defaultName
5th Gear Member

I replaced my AFM this weekend and finally got the car to run. It was just in time too because with my father in law away for the week I was able to take over his garage.

I started by pulling out my old seats so I could really give the car a good cleaning and get it ready for my new seats (pics coming soon). I figured that before I put in my new seats it would be a good time to take apart my sunroof and find out why it wasn't working properly.

I really wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was. It moved back and forth a little and I could see one of the sunroof cables wasn't attached so I figured that it just popped out. When I finally removed the sunroof panel I was surprised to see how many parts were damaged. Some parts were so badly damaged that I couldn't even tell what they were. I really have no idea what could have happened to cause this much damage.

I was going to start to work on my brakes but I think I will hold off until I see what this is going to cost to fix.

I am mostly upset because I really don't like the idea of spending money to fix something that I wish I never had in the first place. Next car will be a slicktop...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #50
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultName View Post
I am mostly upset because I really don't like the idea of spending money to fix something that I wish I never had in the first place. Next car will be a slicktop...
Then don't fix it, the sun roof on my car was buggered too when I bought it. I don't plan on fixing it. If anything I'll just rip the whole system out. Weight reduction FTW.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #51
defaultName
5th Gear Member

I would love to just leave it but I don't know if I can put it back in and secure it. So many parts are cracked or destroyed. It looks as if someone removed a bunch of parts, smashed them with a hammer, and then just threw them back inside.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #52
lost
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
I would love to just leave it but I don't know if I can put it back in and secure it. So many parts are cracked or destroyed. It looks as if someone removed a bunch of parts, smashed them with a hammer, and then just threw them back inside.
Remove it completely. Remove parts, weld shut, skim coat with light filer, prime, paint. Re-do headliner = Slick Top.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #53
defaultName
5th Gear Member

So after reading E30M42cab's thread about the downfall of the E30 community (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142120) I was inspired to post some updates!

To say I needed a new key was an understatement

Oh a package from Thailand, what could this be?

It's either that opium I ordered or crappy Ebay knockoff keys...

They don't look to bad and for the price I'm not complaining. Plus I got this nifty sticker and an expired coupon for my next purchase!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #54
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Safety first!

I discovered three things about the brakes on my car-

1. Every rotor locating screw is seized

2. The wire for the rear brake pad wear sensor is ripped off so there is no point in installing new sensors

3. The only parts remaining from my emergency brake are the cables, everything else is gone
Old 04-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #55
defaultName
5th Gear Member

And finally something more exciting!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #56
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Oh GOODIES!!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #57
North
2nd Gear Member

Where did you order your H&R and billys from? $325 for H&R race??? damn
Old 04-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #58
325isStephen
Drifter

Quote:
So after reading E30M42cab's thread about the downfall of the E30 community (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142120) I was inspired to post some updates!

To say I needed a new key was an understatement

Oh a package from Thailand, what could this be?

It's either that opium I ordered or crappy Ebay knockoff keys...

They don't look to bad and for the price I'm not complaining. Plus I got this nifty sticker and an expired coupon for my next purchase!!!

Just a heads up, the same key cut to the VIN and sent from germany, you can order at the dealer for roughly 40.00, takes a couple days.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #59
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
Where did you order your H&R and billys from? $325 for H&R race??? damn
Bilsteins came from Turner Motorsport. I got them for a good price but got nailed on brokerage fees so it evened out. I bought the H&R's off of maX. Thanks again Jeff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isStephen View Post
Just a heads up, the same key cut to the VIN and sent from germany, you can order at the dealer for roughly 40.00, takes a couple days.
I will keep that in mind for the next time. These were $10 each plus then I obviously need to cut them. It took a month to arrive. Japan may offer overnight parts but Thailand takes their sweet time!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #60
voluted
2nd Gear Member

I just got my key yesterday, lawl!

0415011541.jpg
voluted is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: