Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #31
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
Many things were going on at that time with BMW and sales and they simply would not survive if they gave the poor american market their real S50 M3.
That's a gross overstatement. The survival of a large corporation like BMW hinges on its bread and butter products, not niche halo offerings. The E36 M3 was equipped with the lower-powered motor because product planners couldn't see the nameplate stretching into the $50k USD range in the mid-1990s. Period.

Also, arguing whether or not something is a "real M" seems silly, no? Setting aside that the E36 M3 was probably "more of an M" (according to the enthusiast-canonized rules) than several recent thusly-branded vehicles, internecine squabbling strikes as ridiculous when we're talking about arbitrary distinctions between extremely similar things.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
It must be my time of the month, but obviously I am not the only one. What the hell happened to our community of supportive members, its to much ego and trashing bullshit any more.

My cars newer so it's better, your cars not an M mine is I'm better, my cars rarer so it's better, For christs sake we all drive cars for different reasons and who the hell gives anyone the right to say their choice is better. To many people trashing others to make themselves feel better.

Grow the **** up people
Richie, noone in this thread has ever said that their car is better then someone elses, until you said it. Relax.

Only reason why I think US E36 M3 is not a real M car, is because BMW has taken off SO MANY things away from it(Absolutely different motor(based cheaply on M50 and later on M52, which still used hydraulic lifters, thus making it impossible to rev the car any higher then 6900rpm, which takes away the M feeling of a high revving car ) 6 speed, front floating disk breaks and a few other) that they developed FOR it and gave it to north america. While the rest of the world enjoyed the true M3 in all its form , the way BMW has designed it to be. We, over here had to use whats given to us, many liked it, many didnt.

I also dont understand why you think E46 was a fail. It was actually a great success for BMW. It became stronger, recieved much more rigid chassis, faster and overall better improvement of its predecessor.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #33
SickFinga

Quote:
Only reason why I think US E36 M3 is not a real M car, is because BMW has taken off SO MANY things away from it(Absolutely different motor(based cheaply on M50 and later on M52, which still used hydraulic lifters, thus making it impossible to rev the car any higher then 6900rpm, which takes away the M feeling of a high revving car )
No point in revving it any higher since it runs out of breath.

Quote:
6 speed,
Euro M3 3.0l didn't have it either.

Quote:
front floating disk breaks
again, only 3.2l M3 came with them and btw Canadian M3 did have them.

Quote:
the way BMW has designed it to be.
And who designed american M3?

Quote:
We, over here had to use whats given to us, many liked it, many didnt.
Who exactly didn't like it? Open any car magazine from back then and the "not real M3" bested any car it was reviewed against. Sure it could've been better, but it was still a great product.

Quote:
I also dont understand why you think E46 was a fail. It was actually a great success for BMW. It became stronger, recieved much more rigid chassis, faster and overall better improvement of its predecessor.
Everything you said here is exactly the same when you compare E36 M3 vs E30 M3.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #34
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
No point in revving it any higher since it runs out of breath.
But the US motor is geared more towards broad torque band, whereas the cam angle and degree on the Euro is based more towards high end.

Quote:
again, only 3.2l M3 came with them and btw Canadian M3 did have them.
Only the Euro ones did... so thats what, 45 of them? What about the watered down 97-99 versions here?

Quote:
And who designed american M3?
Bean counters. Otherwise we would have gotten the same version too.

Quote:
Who exactly didn't like it? Open any car magazine from back then and the "not real M3" bested any car it was reviewed against. Sure it could've been better, but it was still a great product.
Agreed, it still is a good car. Well geared for the stereotypical North American users, but its still watered down, and not the real deal. A whole is the sum of its parts IMO. In this case, no Euro motor, no M.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #35
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Only the Euro ones did... so thats what, 45 of them? What about the watered down 97-99 versions here?
All Canadian-spec E36 M3s (S50B30 and S52B32) came with floating rotors. Same with the M Roadster and M Coupe.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #36
JoeBlain
E36 M3

Ive owned my E36 M3 for about 4 years now and i must admit i regret buying it. Ive always loved M cars especially the E30 M3 but could never afford one so I cheaped out and bought the E36 M3. If i kept my money i could have bought a real M car like the E30 one :p thats my 2 cents. For now ima keep driving mine i just hate its like owning a honda civic how many of them there are.
JoeBlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #37
Steve30
Techno Viking

BMW was afraid that the price was too high for the North American market. However, the success in sales of the e36 m3 is the reason why the e46 m3 had the same engine in both markets. To be honest an S50B32 swap is pretty straight forward and S54 swaps are becoming cheaper and cheaper so you can just pop one in.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #38
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
...which still used hydraulic lifters, thus making it impossible to rev the car any higher then 6900rpm, which takes away the M feeling of a high revving car
LOL WUT? Are you saying hydraulic lifters are unable to take on high RPM duties? Because you would be VERY wrong.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #39
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
All Canadian-spec E36 M3s (S50B30 and S52B32) came with floating rotors. Same with the M Roadster and M Coupe.
Hmm. Thats a heck of a coincidence then that every M3 and M Shoe I can remember for the past ten years in the shop being a US spec car then (aside from the Euros).

Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #40
SickFinga

Quote:
Actually Canadian euro spec did NOT have them since floating rotors became available on 3.2l cars.

Quote:
Bean counters. Otherwise we would have gotten the same version too.
Still BMW's bean counters

Quote:
Agreed, it still is a good car. Well geared for the stereotypical North American users, but its still watered down, and not the real deal. A whole is the sum of its parts IMO. In this case, no Euro motor, no M.
Look at the VIN, it tells you exactly who made the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Floating rotors came to E36 with the 3.2l engine. 3.0l had regular rotors on all E36s
Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #41
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Actually Canadian euro spec did NOT have them since floating rotors became available on 3.2l cars.
Interesting... because every single Euro numbered 45 M3s I've seen all had the floating rotors. Another coincidence then?

Quote:
Look at the VIN, it tells you exactly who made the car.
Meh, VIN doesn't make much difference. Look at the 850CSi. Not really an 'M' but its got a WBS number. Or another example.... Every single E24 M6 was WBA... so... moot point.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #42
SickFinga

Quote:
Meh, VIN doesn't make much difference. Look at the 850CSi. Not really an 'M' but its got a WBS number. Or another example.... Every single E24 M6 was WBA... so... moot point.
So what makes M6 an M car?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #43
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
So what makes M6 an M car?
Umm... the fact it is an E28 M5 in an E24 body? S38, Getrag 280, not sure if its a 188 or 210 diff... but anyways... 4 piston front brakes, sport seats, would give it a guess difference steering box ratio.... Not anything less or more than the other M cars got at the time.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #44
SickFinga

Quote:
Umm... the fact it is an E28 M5 in an E24 body? S38, Getrag 280, not sure if its a 188 or 210 diff... but anyways... 4 piston front brakes, sport seats, would give it a guess difference steering box ratio.... Not anything less or more than the other M cars got at the time.
OK, what's not M on 850CSi?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
LOL WUT? Are you saying hydraulic lifters are unable to take on high RPM duties? Because you would be VERY wrong.
Hydraulic lifters in M50, M52 M54 will be "walking" all over the place at 7000rpm and will self collapse at around 7500rpm. Thats why BMW put a safe RMP limit on engines equipped with hydraulic lifters(6500rpm for most cars and 6800rpm for few others)

Solid lifters (found on S50 and S54 )will be fine at well over 8700rpm.

Last edited by new member; 02-08-2011 at 02:16 PM.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: