Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
starscream
1st Gear Newbie

starscream's BMW E36 325is - The Mean Green Machine

Finally!

Its about time that I was able to pickup a trackky, was looking for a while for a car that I can work on and have fun with.

Its a 1995 BMW E36 325is
-2.5L inline-6
-5sp Manual
-LSD
-2 Door Coupe

Shes already got a few things on her which would help so thats kinda nice to have makes it so that I can get seat time that much quicker.

Status as of right now:
Currently the car runs and drives, BUT needs a few things to pass safety.

Things I need to do immediatey:
-Get car saftied, and change it from unfit to fit.
-Windshield
-Ebrake
-Turn Signal

Things I want to do immediately:
-Fix the few rust spots
-Clean the car (LOL why cant it be summer yet...)
-Basic maintenance (oil change, coolant change, transmission oil change, diff oil change)

Things I am going to do/planned to do later on:
-Gut the car
-Clean interior
-Add gauges (Oil pressure, Water temp, Oil temp
-Change radiator and waterpump

The thing that I really want to change before I do anything serious, however gotta let the cashflow recouprate, is the radiator and waterpump. From factory the system is decent, but over the years it tends to degrade and especially if the car might be eventually driven hard, I want to have that up to snuff. Wouldnt want to over heat it and kill/warp the block/head. An all aluminum rad (gonna get rid of the plastic endtank crap that breaks at the seams) is the typically the choice, and also change the water pump as the stock system has a plastic waterpump impeller which is prone to failure on older cars. So the newer aftermarket ones are metal and provide alot more reliablity. Plan to do all the work myself so yay! I was suprised that once I got more and more into the BMW crowd alot of the parts arent as terribly expensive as I thought. The rad and waterpump together can be had for around 340 w/ gaskets, hoses and coolant.

Part of the reason for the car is also so I can get back into working on a car. Dont want to touch the DD and rather then rushing to get shit done and be like "OMFG gotta get to work tommorow, fix this NAO!" I rather work on this and get parts for cheaper as I can wait for them to ship and all that, and am not at the mercy of the douchebag thats gonna gouge me because he knows I need it tonight.

So tracky and worky both gonna be fun!

Ah, some pictures of the car in the garage. I SOOOOO wanted to clean it but man the second I try to shits gonna freeze after and once that happens I know I'll endup braking shit. I am however thinking to get that "no rinse/water carwash" stuff that you spray on and wipe.

I actually started this LOG on my other carboard. I figured I'll transpire it here. So some of the updates seem like they are quick, in they were a week or two apart. Also some of the info you guys already know...BUT the others (on the other board) dont so...Lucy you gat some 'splaining ta do! LOL

starscream - 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
starscream
1st Gear Newbie

Ah so heres another installment of The Mean Green Machine!

Was a semi productive day, was basically setout to check a few things on the car. Findout why a few things werent working and start to put together a plan of attack of how I want to do/fix/change certain things on the car.

There were a few pleasant surprises to be found today...and also a few non-pleasant surprises to be found today.

The pleasant things were:

-Car has LSD (according to my LSD check, however will double check with VIN @ BMW)
-Car has Bilstien Shocks and Bilstien Springs (its their sport suspension pack)
-Turner Motorsports adjustable rear camber arms
-Stainless Steel Brakelines
-Some aftermarket control arms w/ some sorta bushings (looks nice though LOL)
-Supersprint BMW Catback exhaust
-Camber plates
-5mm spacers
-Car has studs for bolting the rims on, rather then the normal BMW bolt w/stud in 1 thinngy

The not pleasant things were:

-E brake doesnt work (which I knew), BUT the whole ebrake mechanism thats needed isnt even there. Its like someone removed that part of the system. I see the ebrake cable go to the brake area, but thats it. (the ebrake mechanism is separate from the normal brakes)
-Exhaust hangers are broken and hence the exhaust is hanging lower. Its supported by some ghetto steel wire stuff
-Corner turning light = broken
-Must clean car...Dirty car is no fun to work on

All in all it was a good day. Found out that I had more then I had originally thought (I dont think even the previous owner knew exactly what he had he just knew that "the suspension was done".)

Had to make a trip to princess auto in the middle of my adventures for a couple of tools/deep sockets that I didnt have. I forgot that not everything is the standard Mazda/Japanese 10,12,14,16,20,22mm stuff. LOL

Took a bunch of pics to throw up so you can see. There is rust on the car alot of it is just surface rust which I expected for a 1995 that was/has been driven in the winter. However the structural and most of the body is good...at least that I can tell. But hey never know...

Old 01-29-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
starscream
1st Gear Newbie

Moar PICTARS!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
starscream
1st Gear Newbie

Note: The caliper was put back on in the few pics above so it wouldnt be hanging from the line. There is rotor and all that, I had just taken it off to see what was going on and how much work/parts are needed to get the ebrake working.

From what I have been able to figureout and work on:

-The cables move freely
-The 2 big bolts where the actuator goes were broken loose and were undone
-The 2 smaller bolts that *i think* hold the adjustor screw were broken loose and undone
-New hardware for the rusted stuff would be a smart option now that I have gotten them off
-I need the whole ebrake mechanism. I fear the hardest part is figuring out how to install it as the Hayes manual doesnt really talk about how to install the parking break stuff

Old 01-29-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
blk3
4th Gear Member

i see you made it over here from toprotege. kind of been eyeing your car to see how it is coming along.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Nice to see you got a car. What are you going to race it in?

Pretty sure those FCAB's are Ground Control Spherical Mounts.

And the camber plates aren't installed properly. The nut shouldn't be against the bearing.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

looks like a great starting point for a build, are the M3 rear subframe plates done on the car, if they are not DO THEM!!!!!!!!!! They are a must for E36 track cars!!!!!!!!!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
I like those OMP pedals. Looks like a good start, but man, wash those camber plates . Those bearings won't be happy all dirty and in the salt. Probably best in the spring to take them apart and grease em up a tad. I'm curious what kind of wheels the car had in its previous life to have the fenders rolled out like that.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
starscream
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk3 View Post
i see you made it over here from toprotege. kind of been eyeing your car to see how it is coming along.
Yeah, I decided I might as well put the build thread and adventures here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Nice to see you got a car. What are you going to race it in?

Pretty sure those FCAB's are Ground Control Spherical Mounts.

And the camber plates aren't installed properly. The nut shouldn't be against the bearing.
Yeah, finally got one. Aside from a bunch of people from all sorts (on my other car board, and the few here) that said it cannot be done or that I was attempting the impossible, I got what I wanted in a price range I wanted with more then I expected. Win Win!

Right now, schools (the ones hosted by BMWCCA), and maybe a few lapping days. Primary goal is to get better/learn/experience.

Thanks for the GC Spherical Mount tip, Gonna look into it and see if it actually is that.

I am not so sure that the camber plates arent installed properly. By that I mean they are camber plates but they dont seem to be installed as camber plates more like castor plates no? I mean I am a suspension noob, and am trying to learn. From the few people that have seen it, they commented on it being ran as a castor setup, rather then camber.

I have foundout which company actually did the suspension setup on this particular car a few years ago. Gonna give them a shout on monday and see what I can uncover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
looks like a great starting point for a build, are the M3 rear subframe plates done on the car, if they are not DO THEM!!!!!!!!!! They are a must for E36 track cars!!!!!!!!!
Yeah gotta take it one step at a time. Right now I just want to get the car saftied and transferred as fit into my name. Then the gutting and all that process begins.

I have been mainly trying to search up track/reliability tips to I can get the car up to snuff for tracking.

---

All in all I am pretty happy with what I got, just gotta learn more and work on it more. I mean like I said in the other thread, the purpose was two fold: to work on a car and to have something to get seat time with that wasnt my DD. I definately plan to ask alot, and learn alot, and hopefully make some friends along the way.

INSTALL PARTY! LOL

Old 01-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
starscream
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
I like those OMP pedals. Looks like a good start, but man, wash those camber plates . Those bearings won't be happy all dirty and in the salt. Probably best in the spring to take them apart and grease em up a tad. I'm curious what kind of wheels the car had in its previous life to have the fenders rolled out like that.
Yeah I am liking them too, but the grippyness of them is kinda bothering me. They arent as grippy as I would like them, but thats minor details.

LOL I sooo know to wash it, I am DYING to give her a good scrub down and bath, inside and out. But with the cold temps and the car being in the garage and not saftied yet I cant quite drive it to the coin op, and also having water in the freezing temps would probably cause me more trouble than good when trying to work on it in the garage. I been itching to clean up everything and all that but the weather...damn it! LOL

I am curious to know as well. The fender rolling/pulling job isnt the greatest however the car is a trackrat not a show car so I am kinda ok with the bad pulling job...for now. I mean the car currently has some Borbet 16" rims (that I am trying to sell) and got a spare set of 15" multispoke BMW OEM's (also trying to sell), both fit fine and also use a 5mm spacer. Personally though I'll be trying to get myself a set of Kosei K1's in 16".

Old 01-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Go for 17" koseis if you really want the K1s. More common, good tire selection/fitments available, and will clear M brakes if you decide to switch to those in the future.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Ya 17's for sure.

Do they even make 16" in 5x120?

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

Looks good, nice upgrades..i wondered who snatched this one up so quick..
pretty rough from a rust perspective but definately will be nice once you spend some money on her!

Last edited by 3x Beemer; 01-29-2011 at 02:55 PM.
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
blk3
4th Gear Member

by the looks of it those camber plates are set up as caster right now.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
craz azn
6th Gear Member

^ No they are not. That is how GC camber plates work. The adjustable part you see obviously adjusts caster, but the camber is adjusted by loosening the three top bolts on the strut tower and the entire plate moves in and out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: