Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

2003 325I Bi-Xenon Problem Help

Hi everyone,

Today my drivers side headlight went out. It has a Bi-Xenon projector system that is OEM. I swapped the bulb from my passengther side and the light still didnt turn on. At first glance I noticed the driver's side bulb was burnt out, and went out searching for a new one.. thinking the ballst was fine. Indeed a waste of time, listening to dealerships telling me that is costs around 300-400for one bulb. I even went to an audi dealership, where I get things at cost, and my guy told me 260 for a D2S bulb after applicable taxes. Ironic isn't it.

Now here's where I need your help, where can I find an affordable solution to this problem? I believe I need a ballast and bulb, if I were to buy one that was aftermarket would the sensors trip, is a chinese replica ever worth attemping? And if so, where can I purchase these things?

Or.. should I buy one from a scrapped car or part out, knowingly accepting that it can burn out again in a short while?

Please advise,
Andrew
Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

i have headlights to part out, everything working, bulbs and ballasts. check your PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUpYp5eqTbk-(GO NUTS FOR DONUTS)
"if you think education is difficult, you should try being stupid"
e30drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

The cheapest i found was HIDcanada. I think they were a sponsor here a while ago. Call them up and ask if they still give Max guys discounts.

www.hidcanada.com
Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
sonny
6th Gear Member

I had this same problem but with a little patience and tinkering, found out it wasn't the bulb or ballast. Do you have any moisture inside the bulb housing? Even the slightest prevents it from firing up. That balloon shaped cover needs to be completely sealed. Sure sounds like a simple solution, but believe me I messed around with the headlights for a while thinking the same thing you did.. worth checking out..
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

Hi Sonny,
Thanks for the advice, but I physically pulled the bulb out and inspected it, the center of it was brown! Poor old girl was fried.
I went out to "e30drifters" place yesterday to pick up an entire housing for a fair price (Thanks again) and it definietly was the ballast as well. I will be transplanting the ballast and bulb into my original housing (because I have myCarr angels installed already) possible today and will post pictures as soon as its done.

And just because you said that, I will reseal the headlight housing as well. Any ideas as to what caulking or sealant I should use? My friend with a 05 A4 painted the interior trim to look "e-code(euro-spec)" and used black roofing caulking, is this a good idea?

Last but not least, does the Xenon ignitor ever fail?

Last edited by andrew.k; 01-19-2011 at 10:53 AM.
andrew.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

Problem solved thanks to a new(used) ballast and a new(used) D2S bulb.

Props to e30drifter +1

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: