Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Upgrade or Buy an M3?
Fix my issues and upgrade engine 22 48.89%
Sell and buy an m3 cab 23 51.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #46
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
nascar is still running carbs on all their vehicles
because fuel injection is not allowed
Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #47
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

isnt this going off topic... i agree with a s52 swap or a m52 with mods ... i was thinking about the s50b32 option, but there is alot more you gotta change... like the driveshaft and rear diff is bigger on the euro m3's if im not mistaken... plus its only giving 321hp.... for that price u can do enough things to a m52/s52.. IMO
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #48
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Personally I absolutely HATE drive by wire, another problem with the s54 is that it is an electronic nightmare in comparison to the s50b32. 12-15 year old s50b32's with 100k+ miles are putting down clean numbers, the long term reliability is there. We will have to see with the s54's; people say they are more reliable, and they might be but we will have to see in years time.
Over 208k miles here (335k kms). Made stock rwhp on the dyno, consumes no oil, pulled hard on a S50B32 swapped M Coupe that even had the benefit of a much shorter diff (3.73 vs. my 3.15 at the time).

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #49
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

id sell the cab and buy the M...
but as pointed out if you have crazy sentimental value... do a swap. id so an s54 swap simply for parts availability and cost to rebuild.

as for carbs..they sound nice but meh. old. the only reason they are used a lot in drag racing still is cause its cheaper, people want to emulate how its been, and are to lazy assed to learn how to tune efi.

Last edited by SiR; 01-28-2011 at 02:09 AM.
SiR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #50
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
id sell the cab and buy the M...
but as pointed out if you have crazy sentimental value... do a swap. id so an s54 swap simply for parts availability and cost to rebuild.

as for carbs..they sound nice but meh. old. the only reason they are used a lot in drag racing still is cause its cheaper, people want to emulate how its been, and are to lazy assed to learn how to tune efi.

He doesn't have a cab to sell, he wants to buy an M3 cab,

Too lazy to learn to tune efi, seriously ?!?! Cause it's cheaper !?!?
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #51
IgnitionDelay
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
LOL are you on crack? Yeah okay. Lets throw away all the millions of dollars and time on R&D for EFI, so we can put on a less accurate method for fuel management. Yes... because carburetors are soooo advanced and gain soooo much power.
In this case it comes down to control, not to mention massive amounts of air.
IgnitionDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #52
IgnitionDelay
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber e36 View Post
Gents,

My '95 325is was my second car and has been a lot of fun. But I am finding it slow, and am tempted with an engine swap (S50 with SC or Euro S50B32).

Keep in mind the car has been stored for 2 years and driven maybe 1 week each of the Summers. I will weekend drive it in the Summer once I buy a house with a garage.

I have done a lot of work to the car, including but not limited to:
- Stoptech OE brake kit
- Bilstein/H&R Suspension
- Headers & Full Exhaust
- Full OEM M3 Body
- Full Respray
- OEM Euro lights all around (including ZKW heads w HID)
- ZF M3 Tranny
- ASA AR1 Wheels

The things that need attention:
- Rear quarter panel by wheel well is bubbling
- AC is broken

So do I keep my car, fix the two items above or do I buy a clean M3 Cab? I figure cab because I only use in the Summer (don't turn this into a cab vs coupe debate please - I'll never track it).

I figure I'd be into $10k difference between selling mine and buying the m3 cab. And it would probably be worth more in 20 years than a Frankenstein 325is.

M3 engine with install will probably be $3.5k then probably $2k at least for body work and I have nonclue on the AC.

The only thing holding me back is sentiment and when I eventually give the car to my kid, it would be cool that it's the car her dad and mom had their first date in. And the fact I've done a lot of work myself so there's pride in ownership.
Are you able to post a picture or two of the 325i in question? Are you able to go a little more into detail as far as the ZF swap goes? Why did you decide to have that transmission installed? Did you have issues with the original unit?

Keep in mind that news cars are always being made, and the ones rolling off the assembly line now are faster than the ones driving off the dealer lot. It never ends.
A classic, is always a classic.

As far as the poll goes, it really just depends. Most e36 m3s on the market now will need substantial work. Some of the might even be wrecks.

An all original performance car maintains it's value in being all original, while a modded car that was once just ordinary might not have that same restraint in value.

Last edited by IgnitionDelay; 02-26-2011 at 12:56 AM.
IgnitionDelay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: