Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #31
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Yep, 2007 they became available and more popular in 2008. From what I read though they're the same transmission as the E39 M5. While they are about the same torque, 507hp makes a lot of people nervous.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #32
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
My 2008 E90 has been rock solid. Since its a 323i (which is the same as the older E90 325i) and doesn't have a lot of options, I think it will actually be a good car going forward. No nav, no idrive, no high stressed motor, but the sports package gives me great suspension and 205HP is good enough, I can tell you. 6 speed manual doesn't hurt.
I drove a 2006 325I at one point. It was nice, but I found it lacking a little bit in the "SCHNELL!!!" department. Of course, for commuting, that might be fine. The handling was sublime.

I took a look at the 330I that was posted in this thread. Bloody nice car, but already showing low coolant. More than I want to spend, too. The sport seats are astoundingly good.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #33
msinger
3rd Gear Member

not interested in complex myself. loved the simplicity of my M30 swapped e30 once all the kinks were ironed out. I tend to lean towards the "if you didnt build it yourself, you shouldnt be driving it" philosophy, which as an aside, explains why lee hasnt driven his car in 4 years now! we should have a 5 year anniversary next summer!

also, it explains why i dont like my ix nearly as much as my m30, since I didnt build it and know shit all about megasquirt
msinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #34
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I love E90's. Gimme a sport pack equipped 6 speed and I'd be happy. With warranty...

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #35
540iM
2nd Gear Member

Joe, I'm going to list my 2003 Sterling Grey 540iM for sale in the next month or so as I'm seriusly consider buying a E39 M5 from the states come this summer. The car is in GREAT condition and is resting well in the garage untill summer. Current milage is 94K and it's 6spd. Let me know if you are interested.
540iM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #36
carjoe
6th Gear Member

That is THE perfect 540i but I am not interested. Thanks for thinking of me though.

Time to go with something sensible and then saving up for my M...I want a track toy I can go balls out with. I've always held back with the 5 for fear of trashing my DD.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Old 01-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #37
everlast

On a related ironic note, my boss's 2009 535i was a litre down on coolant yesterday. I guess some things never change.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #38
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
On a related ironic note, my boss's 2009 535i was a litre down on coolant yesterday. I guess some things never change.
It boggles my mind that BMW can't friggin sort out their F-ing cooling systems. How hard can it be! My dad's 1990 honda accord is still running on the original rad, hoses, pump, thermostat, and has never had a problem ever with that car.

On that note, I also had low coolant warning yesterday morning . Couldn't see a leak anywhere though, so I'm hoping it was just due to the -30 temps, and contraction.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #39
everlast

Will that happen? I mean, it is the first really cold days we've had... but a litre??? I'd love to be able to tell him not to worry about it.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #40
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Will that happen? I mean, it is the first really cold days we've had... but a litre??? I'd love to be able to tell him not to worry about it.
Well, I don't know about a liter. Mine was only down a small amount. But if it was already a little underfilled, and close to the point of setting off the warning, then maybe the cold was just enough to push it over the edge. I dunno, it's just a theory I'm using to help me sleep better at night right now haha
Old 01-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #41
everlast

Yeah, he's got this "warranty" thing so I think he should just go to the dealer. He was going to practice up his yelling voice, since that's the only way you can get anything at Ottos.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #42
chromius
6th Gear Member

I've gotta get me one of these "warranty" thing-a-mabobs.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #43
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Warranty? Wuzzat?

On a related note, got the car back. Ran awesome this morning. Drove home, CEL is on and it's idle hunting. yay. I'm hoping it's because of the MAF swap I did during my troubleshooting but right about now, I'm ready to go buy marshmallows...

*edit*
P1158
P1160

Vacuum leaks. Awesome. They must have missed something when putting it back together.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Last edited by carjoe; 01-18-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #44
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
It boggles my mind that BMW can't friggin sort out their F-ing cooling systems. How hard can it be! My dad's 1990 honda accord is still running on the original rad, hoses, pump, thermostat, and has never had a problem ever with that car.
That's the beef I have with BMW. There is a lot of stuff that they get wrong that really isn't rocket science. Window regulators that work for longer than 100K -- how hard can that be? It's not like the Japanese aren't doing it on sub $20K compacts.

The seals on the coolant pipe on the 545I -- why rubber and not viton, or silicone -- something that lasts when facing regular heat an exposure to coolant? And why make it impossible to fix without tearing half the engine off or devising a new design of pipe?

And once again, given the tendency for Bosch-sourced electronic systems to be problematic, why make one rely on the oil sensor to tell you if your oil is low, and not have the simple verification of putting a dipstick in the car?

BMW innovates, comes up with new ideas, and build some of the most satisfying cars in the world. For what they charge, they should be more reliable than they are. A 10-year old BMW with a 3.0 DI Turbo is a frightening prospect in my world.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #45
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

it would seem from posts that after the E36 things started to get vw/audi quality.

I can recall changing the same coolant parts on my dub within 3-4years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: