Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Vrbovsky
pod stromom

Negotiation Rant

so here is the story..... I won't give names because it's really not important and I dont need to start a shit war.

I am selling an e36 AC Schnitzer Body kit as you may know... I have been emailing with a prospective buyer and we finally agreed on a price. I'm in the boonies so I offered to drive it over 150km to his city and hand deliver it at no cost!

Now the night before I leave to do the deal he emails and offers me 50$ less, no explanation, no reason, nothing. He emailed twice stating the price and agreeing on that price then renegs last minute. WTF?

I'm new here and I'm not a business man but I've never seen this shit before, is this normal? should I just expect this?
Vrbovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

100% normal! At least you had advanced notice! I had cased where people try to do that AFTER a deposit was left and the job was done (engine sold and removed, loaded in the back of customers truck), and he comes up "$75 short"...almost had to fight to get it.

This is one of hundred cases...people do this ALL the time, this is why i had to change several company policys to deal with it.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
sirex
King Sirex

a) dont go to them. make them meet you.

b) be firm on your price
Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Even if you are firm people still will offer less...
Old 01-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Even if you are firm people still will offer less...
Or half!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Ive had that happen to me before when I was selling a guitar. Guy showes up and says he cant get the extra $50. I told him, well there's a bank across the street or gtfo. Needless to say he went across the street and got the $50.

Dude was complaining saying it was only $50 so what is the big deal. I just said the same thing back to him.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Personally I hate haggling. If I need or want something and the price seems fair, I have no interest in trying to beat the seller down in order to achieve some kind of personal victory. Some people do it out of narcissism, others are just plain cheap. Above all else (others have already stated it), don't go out of your way for a buyer unless you have an established rapport, cause chances are high you'll get stiffed in some way. It also helps not to be desperate to sell, 'cause you will have an easier time telling someone to beat it.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

When you post a price, you post it at that for a reason. Many people don't seem to realize that is the case. When I sold my old stock rims and winters a little while ago, some guy from kijiji drove to Mississauga from Waterloo to pick them up. Got here, looked at the tires, said they were good and then tried to lowball me by $100. I told him, I posted them at my price because thats what I expect to get for them. He finally got to $20 less than what I was asking and it got to the same situation as 325isdan. Finally I told him, its the asking price or they are going back in the trunk and I'm leaving... I ended up putting them in the trunk and leaving with him telling me as I'm pulling out "once you don't find a buyer at your asking price, call me". Two days later someone bought them for full asking price which was a steal in itself by the way.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
sirex
King Sirex

I dont get what the big deal is or why you would get worked up over it.

This is how it works:

Seller: wants the highest price he can get

Buyer: wants the lowest price he can get.

Its always going to be like that. I ve done low ball offers all the ****ing time. If the person selling the item doesn't like my low ball offer then too bad for him, its his choice not to sell it to me.

As for the last minute "lower price" deal that some people try to pull, thats up to you if you let them pull it on you or not. Dont go into a business deal if youre going to get emotional about it, because then thats what they will prey on.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

its one thing to low ball from the get go.

its another to agree on a price and meeting point...then come back and change your offer the night before OR during the transaction. Ive had that happen and its lame.

but as others said. its common practice when selling....anything. just something you have to deal with
Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
BigD
the misanthropist

Yup, that's why I hate selling used stuff. Always have to figure out a price and then figure out how much I need to inflate it so I can get lowballed to what I really want. People always feel that if they pay the asking price for a used item, they are being suckers. I used to never haggle, felt better about leaving the transaction with my pride. I still don't do it often, but one friend even asked me after I paid for our hotel without haggling, if I'm trying to appear rich by not haggling...
Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
I dont get what the big deal is or why you would get worked up over it.

This is how it works:

Seller: wants the highest price he can get

Buyer: wants the lowest price he can get.

Its always going to be like that. I ve done low ball offers all the ****ing time. If the person selling the item doesn't like my low ball offer then too bad for him, its his choice not to sell it to me.

As for the last minute "lower price" deal that some people try to pull, thats up to you if you let them pull it on you or not. Dont go into a business deal if youre going to get emotional about it, because then thats what they will prey on.
agreed. nothing wrong with a little haggling. i think its not cool to change the price after its agreed upon but ppl still do it.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
I haggle with people and lowball stuff all the time. I try to make the seller aware of what kind of price range i'm comfortable with on the sale as soon as possible in the conversation, so as to not waste their time if they're not interested.

Lowballing people who say firm price or no lowballs is pointless, they aren't going to agree.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I get annoyed when people insult me and terribly lowball me, I usually tell them to screw off and stop wasting my time.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
fitter527
hates chrome

contacted a seller about parts.the ad said 45$ for a couple of items.i tried to contact the seller to come and see with no reply all weekend.now he wants 60$ for these same couple of items.
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: