Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter

Send a message via MSN to ProStreetDriver
More Parts Cars Than Good Cars... RANT!

This is getting unbelievably sick! I'm trying to find an e36 or iX for winter and the only thing I'm running into is parts cars. Everyone has a damn car they're parting out, and nothing whole. It even states in some of the ads that they will not sell the complete car. I don't even see that many Sunfires or Cavaliars as parts cars as I do BMWs. I guess everyone is just trying to make a quick buck while wrecking a beautiful car. Yes I do see the odd smashed up one which I can understand why it's going for parts, but others are perfectly fine.

Is this pissing anyone else off???

/RANT
ProStreetDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

It is kinda ridiculous. But from my perspective, I already own my e36 so the partouts are welcome for new or different parts from what I have. I can understand how you feel though. A friend of mine is looking for a half decent e36 and is having a hell of a time. lol
Old 01-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Blades
Your opinion is to long

ya .. and when they do go on sale (lets say by a car enthusiast that you know kept care of it) they low ball him saying its above market price. When we all know the market is full of shit.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
hawgripper
2nd Gear Member

LOL.....
Sounds a little like my rant back in the fall.
I found mine in early Dec. and paid good money for it. but the amount of crap out there was huge with big asking dollars.

Everyone told me to just be patient and it will show up which one did.

If I come across anything I will post it for ya...
hawgripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Wait till spring. Winter is the wrong season to buy. Winter is for people selling projects. Spring is when people start looking for new cars and sell of the old.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Also, where are you looking? You may have to widen your search.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #7
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter

Send a message via MSN to ProStreetDriver
I don't think I could ever have the heart to part out a good/fixable car lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Also, where are you looking? You may have to widen your search.
I was thinking of a 6cyl e36 or e30 iX. Either car has to be a manual. I would rather have an iX though, considering that I'll be driving it in the winter and I'm a little skeptical how an e36 is in the snow. I'd like to keep it under $1500 too... I know I probably sound cheap lol.
ProStreetDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetDriver View Post

I was thinking of a 6cyl e36 or e30 iX. Either car has to be a manual. I would rather have an iX though, considering that I'll be driving it in the winter and I'm a little skeptical how an e36 is in the snow. I'd like to keep it under $1500 too... I know I probably sound cheap lol.

Ok here it is, may come across harsh on this one, but, $1500 is going to get you a whole lot of crap. A decent, not even good e36 is going to run you $3000 to $5000, and that's scrapping the bottom of price range. The IX E30, even if you found for $1500 is going to run you thousands in rare parts and subject everyone to a rant on how over priced the parts are and how hard they are to find.

You can't expect to spend a weeks pay and get a gem, or anything that's not going to cost you 3 times what u spent on it in the next year. You for the most part need to seriously rethink your budget or what vehicle you should be driving as a winter car, cause current thinking is more like dreaming.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

^^ this is very true
Bimmer on a budget is NEVER a good idea. Even if you find one for that price it is going to cause you so many head aches and cost you so much more money in the end.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
damameke
6th Gear Member

Now you know why there are more E36 parts car for they can get more than the $1500
that you budget for....
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

It's sad to see how high the prices for E36s still are, considering how low the prices of E46s and E90s have gotten. I'm sorry, but for all you E36 purists, no E36 (with the exception of a late model M) is worth more than $5000.

To the OP, there is definitly a lot of junk out there, especially in Toronto (with all the idiots who think their old, rusted out E36 is worth half the price of an E90). Try expanding your horizons, a buddy of mine was going through the same thing until he started searching outside of Ontario (such as Quebec) where he found a really good deal.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetDriver View Post

you are being completely unrealistic. No one is going to sell you a cert IX or equivalent with a budget of 1500.00. Be prepared,. that if you find one for that amount double it in repairs -easily. If you don't have the extra, and you find it too costly??? by a honda. And yes, people who have these and have the facility to do so will part them out because they know selling it whole is more difficult then parting it out and most likely make more money from it.
If you want to find yourself a nice specimen, do you diligent homework and be prepared to spend some money outside of your budget or just buy one that is more money and in better shape. I saw an IX recently on kijijji selling for 2000.00 the fenders and doors were rough.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

not manual, but within your price range http://casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21383
and a manual e30 in your range http://casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=20227
Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
zackman17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Ok here it is, may come across harsh on this one, but, $1500 is going to get you a whole lot of crap. A decent, not even good e36 is going to run you $3000 to $5000, and that's scrapping the bottom of price range. The IX E30, even if you found for $1500 is going to run you thousands in rare parts and subject everyone to a rant on how over priced the parts are and how hard they are to find.

You can't expect to spend a weeks pay and get a gem, or anything that's not going to cost you 3 times what u spent on it in the next year. You for the most part need to seriously rethink your budget or what vehicle you should be driving as a winter car, cause current thinking is more like dreaming.
i know someone that picked up a mint 94 320 no rust m3 bodykit lowered for 1500. and alltho that e36 i sold you was a bit rusty that car was ridiculously cheap! people just have to look in the right places for deals!
zackman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivetolive View Post
It's sad to see how high the prices for E36s still are, considering how low the prices of E46s and E90s have gotten. I'm sorry, but for all you E36 purists, no E36 (with the exception of a late model M) is worth more than $5000.

To the OP, there is definitly a lot of junk out there, especially in Toronto (with all the idiots who think their old, rusted out E36 is worth half the price of an E90). Try expanding your horizons, a buddy of mine was going through the same thing until he started searching outside of Ontario (such as Quebec) where he found a really good deal.

How are you justifying that no e36 is worth more then $5000? Obviously they are selling for more then this, so they are worth what people are willing to spend on them, good ones being harder to find hence they get more for them, supply and demand dictates price, e46 and newer have more lower milage decent shape available, hence cause there is more they are cheaper. Same thing as a really good e30 is demanding a heavier price then a few years ago cause they are herd to find.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: