Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-30-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Getting the city to pay for damage to my car?

What's the latest on this? Anyone done it recently that can coach the rest of us on the process, numbers to call to keep bash it in their heads? I know it won't be easy, but I feel like I should do something about it.

Many of the bus stops along Eglinton Ave. (Scarborough) are majorly pitted, resulting in large identations / bumps around the spots where the bus tires normally go.

Driving over it took out a chunk of my brand new X-brace.
ClayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
That must blow

But realistically, you won't get anything and even if they would listen, you'd probably have to prove your car isn't modified, which it obviously is. You'll have to be a lot more careful about the road in front of you.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Wouldn't hurt to call 311 and get the official story. Our new mayor's focus is on customer service -- why not give them a shot? If you get nowhere, drop a line to Jack Lackey, author of the "Fixer" column at the Toronto Star.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

By-laws changed towards making claims against city. Suck it up and drive with caution. sorry that happened....happened to me as well.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Send a claim in to the city, call the local councillor they will tell you where to send it. It will automatically get denied. They will tell you your car is not stock from the dealer bla bla bla... Hire a lawyer! Cost will be far more than if you were to fix the problem yourself. Now If someone got killed and it was the City's fault for whatever reason, then the hired lawyers so called the "S.I.U" will come in and cover everything up and you will get your car fixed and then some. A $150.00 lawyer’s letter might be a good start.

Parm
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Guys, the x-brace comes stock on the M3. The only way I could have avoided it (without prior knowledge of the lump) is to have swerved (dangerously) into the next lane because the lump was smack in the middle of the right-turn lane.

Now that I know it's there, I have to make my right turns from the next lane over - which is also illegal / dangerous.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
sparkybp
Tortures BMWs.

good luck!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Humm.. a lot of bitterness / sarcasm in this thread..
Old 01-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #9
europrince
6th Gear Member

Good luck. Getting cash from the city is not gonna happen...
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

I had 2 bent rims on my old E30 a looong time ago caused by a massive pothole on keele. The city just gave me the runaround. They told me it's the city of toronto's issue, and when i called toronto, they told me it's vaughan's issue. Faxes here, letters there, and eventually i gave up. Wasn't exactly worth my time to fiddle with it. I guess they won that battle. As far as the latest news on this, i heard that they don't cover these things anymore which doesn't make much sense to me, but then again there is never much sense when it comes to the government. Let us know what happens. Always worth writing a letter or two.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #11
///Maluco
5erholic

I sent a claim in several years ago to the city of Toronto. They responded by informing me that the hole my car fell into was within a main road standard....what is that standard you ask? ...I donít even know where to start looking for these details.
The problem lies in that you have to prove the City was negligent. You provide that and you have a case.
Try making a call (and document) to the city to identify the issue on the road you drove on and if they don't fix it in let's say 1-2wks (more than enough time to grind down that lump of raised asphalt), then make a claim. You'll have documented the call made, giving a reasonable amount of time for repair....and nothing was done.

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
BSL
2nd Gear Member

I had success with a claim about a year ago.
I went over a section of road that had been dug away, filled with gravel and to be refinished at some later date.

The gravel had worn away when I hit it.
The result was an off center steering wheel, a wicked vibration anywhere over 50kph and a howling noise.

I went back, took pictures of the road/signage and had an estimate done on the car.

I was able to recover about 1700$ from the county, but it was a major runaround. Ill see if I can dig up the old emails and pictures...

The angle I used, was inadequate warning. i found the definition of exactly what the signs meant, how far they need to be from the road damage etc etc.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMan View Post
Humm.. a lot of bitterness / sarcasm in this thread..
For the dollars put into some rides you would expect some bitterness for driving on some sub-standard. I sent in a claim for blown shocks and bent rims for hitting a 3" lip in the middle of the intersection. Within two weeks all the intersections around my area were fixed. After driving over it for a year wear out my car.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL View Post
I had success with a claim about a year ago.
I went over a section of road that had been dug away, filled with gravel and to be refinished at some later date.

The gravel had worn away when I hit it.
The result was an off center steering wheel, a wicked vibration anywhere over 50kph and a howling noise.

I went back, took pictures of the road/signage and had an estimate done on the car.

I was able to recover about 1700$ from the county, but it was a major runaround. Ill see if I can dig up the old emails and pictures...

The angle I used, was inadequate warning. i found the definition of exactly what the signs meant, how far they need to be from the road damage etc etc.
County? Sounds like maybe it wasn't in the GTA?

Please, more details!

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
BSL
2nd Gear Member

Here is where it happened, just E of 21/7 intersection.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,0.027874&z=16
There was 'bump' sign posted about 20' ahead of the spot in question.

Part of the response I got was:
"The Ontario Traffic Manual – Book 7 states:

“The TC-15 (Bump sign) must be used to give warning of a sharp change in the profile of the road that is sufficiently abrupt to create a hazardous discomfort to passengers, to cause a shifting of cargo or to deflect a vehicle from its intended course when the bump is crossed at the posted speed limit.”

As a comparison; if this was not a culvert replacement and we were to treat this situation as a pothole, there would be no ‘Bump’ sign and we would have 7 days to repair the pothole. "

I argued that the signage was inadequate for the road condition, backed it up with pictures and a repair estimate from a reputable shop...

About 3 months and 20 emails and phone calls later I got a cheque.
The way it was handled was very unprofessional, IMHO. I was given repeated excuses that my emails were not received. I switched to phone calls, ended up recording a couple, and sending copies of the voice recordings thru email to prove conversations had, in fact, taken place.

Last edited by BSL; 01-05-2011 at 06:40 PM.
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: