Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #16
Gtfour
2nd Gear Member

My new daily driver with the shop trailer, need to admit the F150 is a bit gutless:roll:

It,s a very simple design made of angle bars, i just start to drill some hole, save some grams:facepalm:

May help somebody

Gtfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #17
Gtfour
2nd Gear Member

I put the car on the scale 2 minutes ago and here are the result:

(CAR IS FULL OF GAS, +-60liters, NO DRIVER)

LF 747 RF 767
LR 672 RR 672

Total 2858lbs

Cross 1439 50.3%

Those numbers are just the weight of the car, no corner weight balancing been done right now to the car, only aligned the car with camber, caster & toe and adjust the height to approximately 13.5'' front & 13'' rear.

So aproximately 2800 lbs without driver and half tank of gas.

Went to Le Circuit Mont Tremblant friday, car feels good but i was so slow:facepalm: A lot of rattle/noise coming from the rear end.

A rear wheel bearing was completely destroy after the second session and the bracket of the Supersprint race muffler on driver side broke, exhaust was loose and shaking...

Need to fix this before next day at Calabogie Motorsport Park.

Just had a Blind Apex lap timer

Old 12-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #18
twboy1999
5th Gear Member

thats hardcore
Old 12-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

wow I've been waiting for this thread since you joined and said you'd do a build thread. you're exterior mods alone are what most guys only dream of. looks great. how is the new motor? seem any faster with less km on it?
3x Beemer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #20
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

This is quite the track build. Awesome stuff.
Looking forward to videos of this thing on the track!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #21
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Nicely done! shaved 600lbs from stock... amazing.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #22
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Very impressed with the quality of these mods, good work, nice show, and by the way, your english is more than fine!

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #23
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

good lord ! Amazing work
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #24
Gtfour
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words

If the thread seems weird sometimes, it's becaue I did a copy/paste of my build-up thread from m3forum.net. I just took the pictures and sometimes some sentences seems to comes from nowhere...

I am installing the new engine right now, so i won't know if it makes a difference until april.

Here is the main reason why I swap a new engine into the car:

I was at Calabogie on July 14 and during 3rd session of the morning, at the end of rocky road entering Mulligans corner, i downshift from 5th gear to 3rd gear. When i blip the throttle from 4th to 3rd while I release the clutch pedal, revs went up to 7000rpm and suddenly the engine feel rev happy like someone swap a lightweight flywheel in a faction of a second. At that point, i knew something wrong was happening

I got back to the paddock at 3k rpm to make sure I don't break anything else. The car was running OK but a loud rattle noise was coming from the engine bay. Here is what I discovered in the paddock:

The harmonic balancer melt/split in 2 pieces

I installed another balancer 2 days later and there was a noise coming from the crank and the accessorie belt was shaking... I was sure at this point that is blew the engine and bent the crank. I tought the rods bearings were gone from the noise i heard. Also, this is what my magnetic oil drain plug looks like:

I stopped the 2010 season right there, I was so frustated. I finished building the car in june and a month later, car was broke and itaor failure.

I didn't touch the car until november, I bought another engine/tranny between that time since my car has 175000km on it. I removed the damage engine from the car and removed the oil pan. To my surprise, all crank and rods bearings looks fine. The only thing i found was a loosse guide chain tensionner. The noise was coming from the oil pump chain guide. The chain also got in contact with the pump housing. And the closest bearing to the flywheel show sign of wear, like if the crankshaft assembly had shift to the front for seconds, axial play.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #25
Gtfour
2nd Gear Member

My best friend came at the shop today and worked on the front bumper aerodynamism while I was installing the wring harness back in place. He installed Bimmerworld dive planes and create a kind of lip (with a Subaru oem lip) under the mouth to avoid the air to go between the splitter and bumper.

and here is a shot of the custom 3" single pipe muffler, 2 turn-down pipes I started to do couple of weeks ago

Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 AM   #26
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Yikes! Dampeners on these high revving 6s seem to becoming a regular maintenance item... I've seen two others have similar threads on Bimmerforums regarding these. The E46 M3s that used to/still run in Grand Am Cup/Conti Challenge replace these dampeners every few races. But then again, those guys drive the hell out of those cars!

Are you planning to maybe rebuild the old engine with some fancy parts? Or just part it out?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #27
Gtfour
2nd Gear Member

Just a teaser of what i plan to do this winter:

-Moton Clubsport dampers, spring rate 700front 800rear (i will install them in the end of January)

-Custom headers with 2.75" pipe from collectors

-Custom carbon fiber dashboard (because my car is anorexic)

-Maybe a rear diffuser

-Front windows for rainy days (lexan)

-And a complete rollcage (we ordered a tube bender and a tube notcher at VAG Motrsport but didn't receive it yet)

I would really like to stay at 2800lbs with a full rollcage
Old 12-29-2010, 01:49 AM   #28
Gtfour
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Yikes! Dampeners on these high revving 6s seem to becoming a regular maintenance item... I've seen two others have similar threads on Bimmerforums regarding these. The E46 M3s that used to/still run in Grand Am Cup/Conti Challenge replace these dampeners every few races. But then again, those guys drive the hell out of those cars!

Are you planning to maybe rebuild the old engine with some fancy parts? Or just part it out?
Yes, harmonic dampers are maintenance item, like the Vanos hose that goes to the accumulator, they crack with vibration.

I am not 100% sure but i think that the 10lbs lightweight flywhhel doesn't help the balancer lifetime... An inline 6 get a long crankshaft and the S54 pistons travel at a very high speed, vibration on the crankshaft is something to consider when modifiyng those engine.

Another guy i know blew his engine, the balancer melt/split in 2 pieces like me but the crank seals were dripping and it just seems worst than mine.

I think my engine is still good, don't want to split/part-out a functionnal engine. I will remove the crankshaft and see/measure if it is still straight.

I am not sure right now what route I will go in the future: boost or NA?

It would be so simple to put a supercharger level 2 kit with stock internal. And when it break, S54 go fo 3000$ now so... And you can run on pump gas and get a lots of power.

Before, I was dreaming of CSL airbox, Schricks cams, even stroker, but it cost $$$$ vs gains.

The only thing that affraid me with boost is heat.

Anyway, I am far from adding power to the ///M right now, not before a year or two!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #29
Gtfour
2nd Gear Member

I will also fabricate a duct to throw cold air directly on the harmonic damper to help lifetime.

3 things seems to destroy them:

-heat
-vibration
-and how long it been installed on the car

It was a 3/3 for me...

Last edited by Gtfour; 12-29-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:17 AM   #30
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
I will also fabricate a duct to throw cold air directly on the harmonic damper to help lifetime.

3 things seems to destroy them:

-heat
-vibration
-and how long it been installed on the car

It was a 3/3 for me...
Excellent idea! Even the PTG E36s of the late 90s had a dampener duct in the front bumper. Shows how even those Euro S50s were stressed with the higher RPMs they ran.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: