Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Italia311
1st Gear Newbie

Winter Tires Q...

Do I need to change the "studs" (lug nuts) or can I use the same ones I have on my car now to hold the tires on? My summer tires are just the ones that came with the car...never been changed and the winters are the bmw winter package..steel ones...

thx!
Italia311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Auto Pilot
1st Gear Newbie

Where did you purchase the BMW winter package, if different bolts are needed they should have been supplied?

I have different bolts but that's because I use after market rims for my winter setup.
Auto Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Italia311
1st Gear Newbie

they are on my car now. I didn't get them put on at BMW. aunt bought them for her2006 3 series from bmw (same as me). When she gave it back she kept the winters. Instead she got a benz and I took her winters. When I took them into a tire place here to get them bolted on...the guy was worried about the studs going in cause of the diff depth he thought they were too longm (I suppose the summer rims are diff then the winter steels). They got put on fine no problems but I am just curious if I need to get ones specially for the winter rims. My aunt wouldn't know as she told me "I just take it there and they put it on".
Old 12-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Auto Pilot
1st Gear Newbie

Shops normally give you your other bolts back along with any other installation hardware. If they exist, your aunt would have likely received the other bolts back each time when the winter tires were removed. If your winter BMW were alloys you would likely be fine. I'm not so sure about steel wheels. Best thing to do is to contact someone in the service department at BMW. I suspect you are fine, but I would still call if I were you.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
crxgsr
BMW

For the BMW, you can re-use the same bolts without any problems.

The problem only occurs with Mercedes. You can't use bolts which are too long in the rear because it will contact the springs used for the drum parking brakes.
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Auto Pilot
1st Gear Newbie

For my after market winter rims, the issue was not bolt length, rather the shape of the holes where you thread the bolts. The shape prevented the head of the BMW bolt from resting flush with the rim when torqued. The bolts that came with the after market rims had a different head shape.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
crxgsr
BMW

Most if not all 5x120 wheels will use cone seat nuts/bolts, which the OEM BMW bolts are, cone seat. Perhaps you're talking about rims which require tuner bolts/nuts??

Otherwise, you're using Honda rims which are ball seat, but are of course the wrong offset for the 3-series.
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #8
Italia311
1st Gear Newbie

Hey Guys,

The bolts are sitting flush on the rims. I have had no problems as of yet. Like I said, the winter package comes from BMW so I imagine these bolts from my OEM summer rims will be fine for my OEM winters...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: