Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Local shop for wheel widening

Anyone know of a local place (i.e., up to a couple hours' drive from Toronto) that can widen or re-barrel steel wheels? I had a set done last year in the US and would like to avoid shipping.

THANKS
Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
SOL. only well known place I know of is stockton wheel comany out in the west coast of the US.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
SOL. only well known place I know of is stockton wheel comany out in the west coast of the US.
Yeah, I got my last set from Stockton and won't be doing business with them again.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Story? I was planning on using them.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Quick version: Horrible communication, order was late, wheels were wrong and stuff was missing from the boxes. They said they'd make it right but never followed through.

Long version: I wanted a set of BMW Neue Klasse steelies widened for my 02. I contacted Stockton last fall and discussed the project. I asked whether they needed me to supply the wheel centres (there was a set for sale at the time on bmw2002faq.com and I would have just had them shipped directly) and I was told that Stockton could supply the centres, saving me some hassle and money. The guy I was talking with told me that he was a former 2002 owner and was familiar with the wheels.

I followed up the conversation by emailing pics of the wheels I was interested in and a fairly specific description of the final product (i.e., a smoothie-style steel wheel with four slim vent slots around the edge, 15x7 ET25, etc.). I placed my order on November 10th: wheels, powdercoating and some OEM-style dog dish hubcaps for fun. They promised a six-week turnaround time. The payment cleared my credit card a few days later.

Six weeks came and went so I followed up with an e-mail on December 22nd. No response.

Went on vacation for a few days. Followed up again on January 5th and was told that the wheels were done and headed to powercoating that week. I anxiously awaited the delivery.

On February 1st, I followed up asking where the wheels were. They said that they were not yet back from powdercoating but promised to "check on it for me." I replied that that would be much appreciated and that I'd like the wheels ASAP. I reminded them that they'd had my money since the second week of November.

Another two weeks went by. I followed up on February 16th reminding them that they'd been sitting on my money for three months. Where the hell were my wheels? They said that they had been very busy and that my wheels were being boxed; they'd send me a tracking number shortly. No tracking number showed up in my inbox.

February 23rd I wrote an email saying that I needed either a tracking number or a refund. My email was bounced back. I forwarded it to other addresses at their domain (e.g., info, sales, etc.) and received the same bounceback. The next day, I called and demanded to speak to the owner. He said that they'd had a lot of trouble sourcing the centres and that my wheels hadn't been made yet. SERIOUSLY??? YOU COULD HAVE TOLD ME THAT IN NOVEMBER. He couldn't explain why I'd been lied to on several occasions ("They're being powdercoated;" "They're being boxed") but offered a discount if I'd let them give it another shot.

Like an idiot, I agreed. They refunded some money to my card and I continued to play the waiting game. The wheels showed up on March 2nd:

E30 steelies. I had waited four months and paid nearly a grand for E30 STEELIES?! Let it be known that these were beautifully made E30 steelies with not a single flaw or sloppy weld or anything. But they were still &*#$# E30 STEELIES. They also forgot the dog dish caps -- Guess that accounted for the "discount" credited to my card.

I called Stockton and demanded to know what happened. The owner basically said, "You wanted BMW centers, right?" I replied that yes, I wanted BMW centres but that I had specifically requested (and provided multiple pics of) a style that's basically the exact opposite of what he made. He said that he'd find the NK centres I wanted and build the wheels I'd spec'd -- and that I could keep the E30 steelies as well. I agreed to the deal since this would net me an extra set of wheels for free.

The proper NK wheels never showed up. It's been more than a year since my original order and Stockton has yet to make the situation right.

I used the E30 steelies last year because they weren't totally uncool but I'm looking for a different solution in 2011... And believe me, it won't involve Stockton Wheel.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Mystikal

Thanks for sharing that; really a shame. Let us know if you find anywhere (locally or not) that works out.

@stancejay
Old 12-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Thanks for sharing that; really a shame. Let us know if you find anywhere (locally or not) that works out.
Will do. Might have to bite the bullet and order from these guys if a closer source can't be found.

BTW Jay, I may need your stance consultation services (and an E46 Inspection II) soon! lol
Old 12-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
Mystikal

lol no problem buddy, you know where to find me. Zimmie just pointed out to me that Memoryfab is doing widening stuff now too, add them to your list.

@stancejay
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Thread revival!

I'm having a set done at Winnipeg Wheel Works (http://www.winnipegwheelworks.com).
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
A friend of mine had some widened locally by a guy on VW Vortex. I will get contact info.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
tonyhavana
2nd Gear Member

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/...tockton+wheel/

Stockton closing it's doors after owner dies.

I hope you weren't what drove him over the edge, apparently he committed suicide. No disrespect intended.
tonyhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Smitty
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
A friend of mine had some widened locally by a guy on VW Vortex. I will get contact info.
That would be much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhavana View Post
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/...tockton+wheel/

Stockton closing it's doors after owner dies.

I hope you weren't what drove him over the edge, apparently he committed suicide. No disrespect intended.
Ouch, that's a bummer.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #13
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Ygpm

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
Tom
4th Gear Member

hey so is there any local shops that do wheel widening as I am in the market to get my 2 rear rims widened, I hear only good things about weldcraftwheels but shipping the rrims will cost the same if not more as getting the rims widened...

P.S mu rims are not steeles they are forged aluminum..
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Depend on how rare/expensive are your wheels? Eric Vaughn is one of the best when comes to widening/narrowing, he knows his stuff and can widen both inner and outer barrels.

Weldcraft is good, but last time I spoke to them, they refuse to widen the outer barrels of my car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: