Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
sski
2nd Gear Member

How well do your heated mirrors work?

I had the X3 at Maranello a few weeks ago for some service and asked them to check the heated mirrors...they came back "normal function".

Well I just got a rather short message from my wife: "my heated mirrors don't work!!!" As I understand it they have sensor's and turn on automatically. We have a Honda Pilot before the X3 and it had a switch for the mirror heaters. The mirrors could be filled with snow/ice, you'd flip the switch and they would be clear in a few minutes. I think she probabaly got all the way to work with the X3 and never had proper use of the side mirrors.

Do your side mirrors clear up pretty quickly and mine obviously have a problem or does BMW just have crappy heated mirrors?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

in my e30 the heated mirrors are always heated with the car running. There is no micro switch to activate or deactivate the heat to the mirrors. have to remember it is -10 out so they may take a wee bit longer to defrost. We live in an age where we want everything yesterday...

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
sski
2nd Gear Member

She was out for about 10mins, went to back into a spot and there was no evidence the mirrors were even thinking about clearing, she had to get out and brush out the mirror. Ya, I know it's not the end of the world but again her old Honda would have cleared by then.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Myabe it comes on when the front defroster is on.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

I'm not sure about the newer models, but i know on the E36 the mirror's heat stays on as long as the car is on.

It's obvious when it's on because the mirror is significantly warmer, you can feel it with your hands. I always thought it was knid of inefficient that there wasn't a switch to control the mirror's heat.

Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
sproule905
6th Gear Member

don't E36 heated mirrors switch on when the +3 degrees OB indicator tune comes on?

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Qube
5th Gear Member

Third party information:

Quote:
Mirror Heating Information for 1997 and up BMW's

Mirror heating is individually controlled by the computer modules in each front door - following a program that uses the outside temperature as reported from the OBC. Power is applied in 4 different stages (percentages of time) to give 4 different degrees of heating - all according to temp.

Temp Range % of Time
below -10C 100% (totally on)
-10C thru 0C 75%
0C thru 15C 50%
15C thru 25C 25%
above 25C 0% (totally off)

There is no manual control of their operation.

Also - the washer nozzle heating is controlled in a similar way - but there are either on or off (single stage). They start to heat when the temp drops to +3C (same time as you get the "freezing temp" alert message). They turn off when the temp climbs to +6C.

Both these heating functions, like many other non-essential functions, will be shut down if the battery voltage falls too low (below 11.4) and will not be re-activated till the voltage goes to about 12.2.

Note - if you loose the temperature sensor for the OBC, the reading defaults to -40, at which time your mirrors and nozzles will be stuck in full heat mode (using power).

Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Firstly on my current e30 and both of my e36's the heated mirrors worked awesomely. Probably the best out of the 20 or so cars I've owned. Including a Honda Accord.

On the e30 the heated mirrors are turned on by turning on the rear defogger. So in a way there is a switch.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
Third party information:
Mirror Heating Information for 1997 and up BMW's

Mirror heating is individually controlled by the computer modules in each front door - following a program that uses the outside temperature as reported from the OBC. Power is applied in 4 different stages (percentages of time) to give 4 different degrees of heating - all according to temp.

Temp Range % of Time
below -10C 100% (totally on)
-10C thru 0C 75%
0C thru 15C 50%
15C thru 25C 25%
above 25C 0% (totally off)

There is no manual control of their operation.

Also - the washer nozzle heating is controlled in a similar way - but there are either on or off (single stage). They start to heat when the temp drops to +3C (same time as you get the "freezing temp" alert message). They turn off when the temp climbs to +6C.

Both these heating functions, like many other non-essential functions, will be shut down if the battery voltage falls too low (below 11.4) and will not be re-activated till the voltage goes to about 12.2.

Note - if you loose the temperature sensor for the OBC, the reading defaults to -40, at which time your mirrors and nozzles will be stuck in full heat mode (using power).
What you posted definately explains it then. My temp sensor broke off a while ago and i've been lazy with replacing it. I guess that's why my Mirrors were on fire even in the summer time.

Guess i have a reason to fix it now besides seeing -37c on the OBC.

Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
sski
2nd Gear Member

My OBC reads outside temp properly. I checked the other day and the mirrors were stone cold. Maybe elements are burnt out??? I'm under warranty until Feb. 2011, so I'll just bring in, in Jan. and actually have a service advisor take a walk out to the car with me a feel the mirrors. I would have been on road about 45mins by then. It should be pretty simple to track down the problem...Sensor works - yes/no, power getting to the mirrors - yes/no, element heating up - yes/no...
Old 12-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Take the mirrors off, check for current at the connector. If yes, they're probably working, if no, its wiring.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
Firstly on my current e30 and both of my e36's the heated mirrors worked awesomely. Probably the best out of the 20 or so cars I've owned. Including a Honda Accord.

On the e30 the heated mirrors are turned on by turning on the rear defogger. So in a way there is a switch.
You sure dude? I've never seen an E30 work this way... Mine is always on (I guess as soon as the ignition is switched on) and I especially hate it in the summer. It is almost so hot it burns your fingers.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

^^No I'm not sure, I just figured since if I leave my rear defogger off then the mirrors stay frozen, when I turn it on, they start to defrost.......I thought I was being pretty logical there. My other e30 behaved the same way. The e36's though, would defrost regardless of on or off.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
sski
2nd Gear Member

Update...after three trips to the dealer I find out the car does NOT have heated exterior mirrors. I'm like..."what?!"

Apparently, it has some warm weather package so it has a enhanced A/C system but no heated mirrors. I assumed it would simply be standard equipment.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
Update...after three trips to the dealer I find out the car does NOT have heated exterior mirrors. I'm like..."what?!"

Apparently, it has some warm weather package so it has a enhanced A/C system but no heated mirrors. I assumed it would simply be standard equipment.
That's pretty funny (or not) since previously they came back to you with "heated mirrors functional" test.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: