Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
sirex
King Sirex

Say Good Bye to Our Unions

Keep saying how unions suck and how they fail and just syphon cash, and maybe stories like this will become a true reality.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...urhoods-report

Income divide deepens among Toronto neighbourhoods: report

Toronto is headed toward a scenario where nearly two thirds of residents will be in the low income bracket by 2025, according to a study set to be released Wednesday.

The latest update of the Three Cities within Toronto study from 2007 continues to paint a “devastating picture” of income “segregation” by neighbourhoods, according to one source who has seen the report.

Prior to this latest update, one released last year that was based on the latest census data showed that 15 of the city’s middle income neighbourhoods have disappeared since 2001. The majority of these areas reverted to low income, where individual earnings were 20 to 40 per cent below the city average.

It shows that if current trends continue, a total of 10 per cent of the city will be middle income earners by 2025; 30 per cent will be upper middle income; and a whopping 60 per cent of Toronto’s residents will be in the low to very low income bracket, sources say.

That’s quite a swing from 1970, when 66 per cent of Toronto neighbourhoods were middle income, 15 per cent were upper income, and 19 per cent were low income.

Wednesday’s report is authored by U of T professor and researcher David Hulchanski, as were the two before it. It doesn’t blame municipal governments for the income trends, but one observer pointed out that the report’s release is timely in light of the fiscally minded administration at city hall headed by newly minted Mayor Rob Ford.

Ford has vowed to make about $230 million in spending cuts this year but say he will also retain services. Still, many people worry that whatever cuts Ford makes will still hurt less fortunate residents.

Hulchanski’s latest findings will serve as a “wake-up call” to the Ford administration that it can’t ignore the problem of dwindling incomes in Toronto’s neighbourhoods, says Michael Shapcott, director of affordable housing for the Wellesley Institute, a research body.

Hulchanki’s latest findings send “a clear signal to Ford and members of his administration (that) these are absolutely urgent issues and that while Toronto can’t solve (them) on its own, the city can make a bad situation worse if it’s not careful,” Shapcott added.

A major reason for the dropping income levels is the loss of manufacturing jobs — and the shift to service sector employment, Shapcott argues.

Other reports have documented declining incomes in certain Toronto neighbourhoods. They include the 2004 United Way study called Poverty by Postal Code, which found the problem is particularly acute in many suburban sections of the 416 area code.

Aside from lower incomes, these neighbourhoods tend to have fewer services, higher rates of crime, and less access to transit.

The latest study also found similar income declines in the 905, according to sources.

Hulchanski did not respond to requests for an interview prior to Wednesday’s release.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

hmm well its nice to hear the status quo, non 'rocking of the boat' is working out really well for people

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=h...a2c52730b463e9
Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
zackman17
Banned

Unions ftw! They aren't going anywhere, the ontario unions are too strong.
zackman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Bogdon
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman17 View Post
Unions ftw! They aren't going anywhere, the ontario unions are too strong.
Spoken by a true sheep, what union takes your money?
Bogdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Hated every moment that I worked for a union. Unions are they to protect the lazy and hold back the productive.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Hated every moment that I worked for a union. Unions are they to protect the lazy and hold back the productive.
That is a very pessimistic view of a Union. Although you are right to some degree, as a whole, I disagree. I am a perfect example of being given opportinuties earlier than anyone else and workers with tons of seniority, simply because of my productivity, knowledge and skills.

The right people always notice. The union makes sure that the "right" people don't abuse you.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
zackman17
Banned

I'm a sheep??? Yeah ok idk what kind of union you guys have but I get 6.20 a hour union pension
zackman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
That is a very pessimistic view of a Union. Although you are right to some degree, as a whole, I disagree. I am a perfect example of being given opportinuties earlier than anyone else and workers with tons of seniority, simply because of my productivity, knowledge and skills.

The right people always notice. The union makes sure that the "right" people don't abuse you.
I have laws that protect me. I don't need to pay some dude to live the rich life and take my money and do nothing, that's why I pay taxes.

Unions are good when industry is new and starting and people need protection. Here, they kill industry with greed.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Here, they kill industry with greed.
QFT.

Unions and ridiculous safety regulations are two of the biggest reasons why companies don't want to manufacture stuff here anymore.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #11
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

truth be told we need BOTH

The unions and The corps!

They both have goods and bads. Like anywhere else some suffer and some gain.
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #12
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Japan has no unions, look at the products that come from that country. Cars for example. Japs have reliable cars, while our domestic cars were absolute shite. That is until people got nearer to losing their jobs.

Unions allow the wrong people to keep their job. The people who know how to work, and work well, don't need unions. If you do you job right, and don't eff around, then there won't be a reason to let you go. If there is any wrong doing on the companies part, that's what the Labour Board is for.

You just need to do your job correctly, and not call in all the time, and you will do alright.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
dannyb
4th Gear Member

A few years back I was hired by a private company to do some upgrades on some software, the owner/my boss gave me list of things he wanted to be done and told me to do what ever I could during my 4 months contract. I finished everything in under a month, then I found out that list was a 2 year plan. I was fired for being over-productive, I don't think this would have happened it if there was a union involved. Plus the guy was so cheap he didn't even want to pay me 10$/hour, I could make more washing dishes.

Even though I might contradict myself a bit, unions do help the people that don't want to work. I used to hang out with a union rep and I heard some good stories, they do help people that go through rough patches in their lives. There's a good side and a bad side to it.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
InfinitiStyle
2nd Gear Member

Unions keep a paycheque comin in during rough economical times.
InfinitiStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Poor management is to blame for the need of Unions. You will see any place with good management (industries where there are some with unions and some with not.. ie, auto, grocery..) The ones with good management don't have unions and the workers are happy to be there.

Your job should be a home to you not just place to make a pay cheque. Where places with Unions I have worked it was clearly an Us vs You vs Them environment.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: