Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Would You Recommend driving an E36 M3 in the winter?
Yes I would if I had winter tires. 47 62.67%
No I wouldn't even if I had winter tires. 10 13.33%
Your better off driving a winter beater. 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #31
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
^^Too funny, I feel sorry for those that feel they have to store it to keep it nice. There are two basic types of car owners: those that take care of their car and those that don't. Whether you drive it through the winter or not, if you're the type of person that takes care of your car then it will always be nice. I don't believe in storing cars (ask any of my friends, one of my goals in life is to purchase a Ferrari and DD it throught the winters as well and put 1,000,000 km on it) I'm a driver, and enjoy the feel and performance of my car year round. A winter beater will not perform like your pride and joy, so you're paying extra to own a second car and not enjoy your pride year long, limiting yourself to just the 7 or 8 good weather months. Not for me. Sorry. But if you're the type of person to take care of your car as I am, if something breaks, I fix it asap, I wash my car 1-2 times/week through the winter months, I wax, and do everything I can to make sure it's in good shape. I get offers on it at least once a month, at lights, gas stations, etc... because of the shape its in..............Winter driven and all, with 313000km and counting at a rate of about 1200km/week.
Yea, it's funny how there's 2 distinct views on this. I suppose you could keep a car DECENT 9/10 through winter but 2 washes a week is not something I can handle. You'd have to inspect the car for chips in the paint every week, do touchoups, etc, triple oil undercoat. Too much hassle for a 9/10 when you can just be patient for a 10/10

That's how I see it.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:06 AM   #32
BMW Rated
Knowledge is power!

It's defiantly been interesting to read peoples opinion on the subject. At the end of the day whoever owns whatever car will do what they want to do regardless. I was just curious to get peoples thoughts. What I do find interesting is that for the poll must people say they would drive it with winter tires.
BMW Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #33
Steve30
Techno Viking

It may just be a lot easier for some people to buy a winter beater for $1000 and not worry about washing it and etc... As Doogee mentioned many of us spend a lot of money and would rather not see it go to waste. Also, many people may not feel comfortable driving with others on the road during stormy conditions or icy roads. In the end it is a subjective topic so we really cannot come to a final conclusion. The op has to make the decision whether or not he can handle the responsibility of maintaining the car through the winter months or if he is better off storing it.

Quote:
^^Too funny, I feel sorry for those that feel they have to store it to keep it nice. There are two basic types of car owners: those that take care of their car and those that don't. Whether you drive it through the winter or not, if you're the type of person that takes care of your car then it will always be nice. I don't believe in storing cars (ask any of my friends, one of my goals in life is to purchase a Ferrari and DD it throught the winters as well and put 1,000,000 km on it) I'm a driver, and enjoy the feel and performance of my car year round. A winter beater will not perform like your pride and joy, so you're paying extra to own a second car and not enjoy your pride year long, limiting yourself to just the 7 or 8 good weather months. Not for me. Sorry. But if you're the type of person to take care of your car as I am, if something breaks, I fix it asap, I wash my car 1-2 times/week through the winter months, I wax, and do everything I can to make sure it's in good shape. I get offers on it at least once a month, at lights, gas stations, etc... because of the shape its in..............Winter driven and all, with 313000km and counting at a rate of about 1200km/week.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325is winter build
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 AM   #34
BMW Rated
Knowledge is power!

I defiantly agree with you on that Steve30 by the way if that's a pic of your car thumbs up!
BMW Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #35
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

I have two cars and two different attitudes:

One is an E36 daily driver, in better shape than most I've seen despite having been winter driven most of its life. I know it's only a matter of time until things start to happen though. I've had some rust repaired and I know it's coming back eventually, so as much as I hate the thought of wintering it, I really don't see the point of letting it sit in the garage all winter, slowly rusting away as opposed to enjoying it year round and just trying to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible. Not to mention the extra costs associated with getting a beater on the road. I rust proofed it, got some good snows, wash it frequently, and park it indoors at night.

The other is an E34 touring - a winter project I picked up over the summer. It's from Cali and, despite needing some TLC, is rust free. When I finish the B40/6 swap (donor car is my E34 540i/6 which, due to rust issues, is now 'dead to me' lol), I'll only drive it during the good months. It's never seen snow and I don't want to be the one to introduce it to that. To me this one's worth trying to preserve.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #36
Another BM
3rd Gear Member

Lots of ppl have just got there car painted.
the car is lower
and if they do lots of up north driving or winter driving they dont want to risk losing the car to an accident.

Plus i dont trust anyone else on the roads during winter.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #37
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
dble trouble thats great you dont want to store your car. i guess if i had a junky e30 id feel the same way :p

others want to store their car and they arent stupid for doing so. your junk heap ferrari wont make it through the winter either. it will put you in the poor house with maintenance costs though

At the end of the day do what you want to do and dont worry about what others are doing.
The m3 will be fine with winter rubber but if you can afford to have another car and want to keep your pride and joys mileage down and as rust free as possible. store it. no big deal.
Clean low mileage m3's will always fetch a bit more money than the rest of the line up. (obvious statement)

No need to be a hater, I stated my opinion, you've stated yours HondaBOI!

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #38
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post

A thank-you, you my friend have the right attitude!

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #39
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I washed and detailed my car during the weekend, it was in my garage the whole time and i'm off to the US for a few days, taking a Taxi to the airport and my car will get a nice couple of days rest.

I can't imagine not washing my car in the winter, especially with these warm days. If you drove your car in the wet, salt would be all over the car and inside every hole, I'm not sure how ppl say washing your car doesn't clean off the salt but makes it worst, everyone has their opinion i guess.

Unless temps are constantly well below freezing, washing > not washing your car in the winter.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #40
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
No need to be a hater, I stated my opinion, you've stated yours HondaBOI!
Im a hater? i make a joke and im a hater?
yet you are sitting on your soap box hating on people who want to store there cars , basically calling them stupid
Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #41
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
yet you are sitting on your soap box hating on people who want to store there cars , basically calling them stupid
As I said before, All you do on this forum is hate and bash BMW, I'm surprise you even drive one.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #42
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

maybe I should reconsider storing: today was the first day we've had any significant accumulation on the roads here and I got bumped by a pickup truck while waiting to turn out of a parking lot. Luckily there was no damage, but certainly not a real confidence-booster!
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #43
Blocked_Out
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another BM View Post
Lots of ppl have just got there car painted.
the car is lower
and if they do lots of up north driving or winter driving they dont want to risk losing the car to an accident.

Plus i dont trust anyone else on the roads during winter.
I dont understand this comment at all.

Do you walk in the winter?

Also, paint, suspension and other items can be well preserved during winter.

My car is lowered> no problems.

4 of my cars out of the 6 were lowered and those 4 all saw winter, they also saw Barrie's and what you guys call up-north storms.

Just learn how to drive, put snow tires, wax your car and go enjoy your car.
Blocked_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #44
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Your worst then a hater. Your a troll who's an idiot, has no life and just tries to stir up shit from behind a computer while stuffing his face with cheese puffs and dreaming of the day people will actually want to listen to him.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #45
blk325i
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
As I said before, All you do on this forum is hate and bash BMW, I'm surprise you even drive one.
wait.. what? how did he do that?
all he said was if he had an e30 with 300 000+km he wouldn't store it either, which i don't think anyone would disagree on
blk325i is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: