Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Climate Control acting up

So today I got in the car to do whatever and when I start it up, there are no problems at all. I turn the rear defroster on because the rear window is fogged up. As I'm driving, I realize the window is even more fogged than before and the display for the climate control is off. The light on the rear defroster button is on but does not go off when I push the button. Also, when I push any of the other buttons, nothing changes. The light for any of the directions of the vents, auto, front defroster, etc. I push the button and nothing happens. So while being pissed off and continuously pushing buttons on the control nothing happens.

I continue to drive while freezing my ass off and the Climate control screen comes on again and it starts up and blows warm air. So I thought it may have just been because it was cold. Later in the day, I get in the car again and when I start it up, the Climate control is off on the start of the car and is unresponsive yet again. That time it did not turn back on. I tried putting the ignition in position 1 to get the radio and lights on numerous times in succession to see if the climate control would start up and it wouldn't. I finally just drove without the heat or anything. Finally, later in the day after the car was parked for a few hours I had to go somewhere else and started it up and the climate control turned on no problem.

So there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to what the hell this thing is doing, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be. It really only started to do this today so maybe it has something to do with the cold weather? I'm not sure.

Any help or input would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Nobody has had any problems or anything like this before?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
I'd start by switching units with a friend or someone to check if it's the climate control itself.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

^as Kurt said, check the unit itself, then from there its pretty straight forward, any history with such issues? any electrical issues in the car? what have you checked thus far?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Never had any electrical issues with the car before. I got a new battery in it last year as well. The radio starts up and plays fine (which is an aftermarket one) and everything else electrical in the car has no problems. The climate control has always been perfectly fine.

Although, I'm not sure if this is a normal thing, but when it was working and I turned the car off I would hear an odd kind of noise coming from what seemed like inside the centre vent in the dash. Almost like the vent was closing. I just assumed it was normal, but when the CC doesnt start up or does start and then goes out I don't hear that noise when turning the car off. Could this be a problem with the heater or some sort of element inside the engine bay? If so, why would it turn off the CC?

I actually haven't had much time to check anything, although I wouldn't know what to check for someting like the climate control. I also don't know anyone that could let me switch CC's with. lol
Old 12-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Kickstartt
1st Gear Newbie

Check your fuses and replace any one thats fried.

I had the same problem with my climate control, I tried to fix it by switching to another climate control panel but still didn't help. Then in the end I found out it was a fried fuse.
Kickstartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

good point(to check fuses).
if they check out
its either this(which I think is likely the case)

http://macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html

or the final stage unit.

The noise of the hvac actuators moving when you turn the car off is normal.

Last edited by SiR; 12-14-2010 at 04:53 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Kickstartt
1st Gear Newbie

Post its my turn to need help please...

ok... i just ran in to a new problem with my stpid '94 325i sedan. The radio (keeps running), odometer light and computer light do not shut off after I switch off the engine with my key.

Has anyone seen this problem before??? Or can someone suggest me a reliable shop in East York or Scarborough where I can take my car for a check up, there r also some other things that need to be fixed.

Please let me know, anything would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
if they check out

or the final stage unit.

What that guy described in the fix is exactly my problem. I don't have all the tools required for this fix, but will look into it and hopefully give it a try sometime soon. Thanks for the link SiR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstartt View Post
ok... i just ran in to a new problem with my stpid '94 325i sedan. The radio (keeps running), odometer light and computer light do not shut off after I switch off the engine with my key.

Has anyone seen this problem before??? Or can someone suggest me a reliable shop in East York or Scarborough where I can take my car for a check up, there r also some other things that need to be fixed.

Please let me know, anything would be helpful.

Thanks
You know it probably would have been easier to start a new thread about this. I'm not sure what it could be, but like I tell anyone with problems like this, take it to RMP and I'm sure Rocco will be able to figure it out. I didn't want to bother him with my problem because I assumed it was probably something stupid like it seems like it is. lol
Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Kickstartt
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post
What that guy described in the fix is exactly my problem. I don't have all the tools required for this fix, but will look into it and hopefully give it a try sometime soon. Thanks for the link SiR!

You know it probably would have been easier to start a new thread about this. I'm not sure what it could be, but like I tell anyone with problems like this, take it to RMP and I'm sure Rocco will be able to figure it out. I didn't want to bother him with my problem because I assumed it was probably something stupid like it seems like it is. lol
well i went to a shop today and the guy told me it has something to do with the computer that controls the power to the car when its engine its turned off. That computer might be broken due to this g-ay a$s damn weather...
Old 12-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

what shop was that?
sounds like an inexperienced place. i wouldnt be surprised if your ignition switch is not working right...as in you can turn the key to go out but its not fully disengaged in the ignition cylinder.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
if they check out

or the final stage unit.

+1 on this suggestion! Did this fix about three years ago and i haven't had any issues since.

Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

You guys have any idea where I can get this 0.47 microfarad 50 volt tantalum capcitor? Canadian Tire? I have no idea. lol
Old 12-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Ok, so anyone know where to pick up one of these capacitors? I've checked Canadian Tire and numerous other small computer stores and watch shops around Mississauga, all of which give me a look like I'm asking for something completely ridiculous. I might as well of ordered one online and gotten it sooner.

Anyone know of some place that would have a 0.47 microfarad 50 volt tantalum capacitor?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

So I finally found one of these damn capacitors. Some place called AA Electronics on Matheson off Dixie. I'll give it a try tomorrow hopefully and let everyone know of the outcome.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: