Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
super_namer
2nd Gear Member

winter tips/tricks....

Hey guys. just wanted to start up another winter tips and tricks thread. i did a search and couldn't find that old school post so i'll start a new one...

two words:
Rain-x De-Icer

this windshield wash fluid is a lifesaver...

also put it in a spray bottle to help with your ice control in the mornings...
greatest product ever!

there are also tricks for the e36 like if u hold your door handle up for 30 seconds it defrosts the keyhole and also warms up the washer fluid....

there was much discussion on this but personally i have never really had it work for me...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00233.JPG (41.8 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00237.JPG (52.7 KB, 584 views)
super_namer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

HAHAHAAH are u shovelling out ur bimmer in SHORTS?
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
super_namer
2nd Gear Member

lol didn't think anyone would notice so soon!

lots of snow but not too cold...
super_namer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Understated

ah i love those days.....perfect for snowball fights and the rest
Old 12-16-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
i like that trick with the door handle...anything like it for the e30?
i use rain-x washer fluid for each season....never use the blue stuff.
it is amazing. it also has some of the stuff that come in the spray bottle that help get water off your windshield without using the wipers.
and a big tip is to not drive fast and keep the movements smooth and easy.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
Understated

ah yes back to the tips:
....use momentum to your benefit, keep TONNES of space when driving in snow...instead of flooring the car when you are stuck....try making a path for your wheels by reversing first(dunno if this would work with a RWD) and then putting it in D and using the track you just made for yourself
Old 12-16-2005, 07:59 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
if you're STUCK, turn traction control off and floor it. works everytime

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
These are some of the personal thing I do in the winter, I won't get into driving tips as I think we all know what they are. Don't brake unless necessary, rock your car when stuck, or to clear the path at a red light, if very stuck spinning the tires quickly can cause friction to melt the ice/snow so you can gain traction. So, here are some other things I do to make the winter-world a little more bearable:

1. keep sunroof always tilted. when the car is parked after driving for a while / with a warm cabin, it will help moisture escape while allowing the cabin to cool quicker. you won't have fogged or iced windows in your interior when you get back in your car again.

2. spray exterior windows with de-icer when I park the car. stops ice from building up and can be pushed away when I get back to the car without needing an ice scraper. The de-icer I use is a concotion I made myself and keep in a spray bottle. It is a homebrew combination of Calcium Magnesium Acetate, dolomitic lime, and acetic acid that has been boiled and stored.

3. all my rubber window surrounds have been treated with white grease when it was warm. no worries about my glass freezing up and not opening. nothing more embarassing than pulling up to a drive-thru and you can't get your window down.

4. keep my tank always filled with gas. Automotive gasoline in subzero conditions weighs around 1.6LB per Litre. (or 6lb per 1 gallon). With the 65L gas tank on these e36's, that equals 104LB of weight on the rear wheels. Great for traction.

5. I keep a small (kid's size) shovel in my trunk, just in case I have to dig myself out, or if I'm helping someone else who is stuck. Doesn't take up much space, and does the trick.

6. I keep booster cables to help others out, or myself if required. Also keep flares, a blanket, spare gloves, amongst other things. Every year I use this stuff while helping others out.

7. If the car is ever stuck, I use the winter rubber mats from the drivers + passenger footwell under the rear tires to get them moving. Helps quite a bit.

8. I block the front kidney grills with a painted black sheetmetal that has been securely clipped to them. Less heat-loss for the engine means she heats up quicker.

9. I use DOT3 brake fluid in the winter. (not DOT4 as recommended by BMW). While DOT3 brake fluid has a lower boiling point, it remains more viscious in subzero temperatures. Nothing worse than having a stiff brake pedal that doesn't want to move in those freezing mornings. Some people mistake this for the calipers possibly having ice on them. I switch back to DOT4 in the summers.

10. 5w30 engine oil to keep her starting up happy those cold mornings. Most engine wear occurs during start-up when she isn't all lubed up and ready to go.

11. Winter windshield wipers. These things are a life-saver, they scrape the ice like an ice scraper and are built of a tougher rubber so they won't get damaged and brake apart from scraping against ice and bumpy surfaces.

12. Undercoated the car and all panels, rust-checked the entire car. She's my beater, and I want her to last.

13. If there is water on any of my windows, I squeegee this off when I park. Means no ice to worry about next time... and allows my concoction to be more effective. The only time it doesn't work very well is if it is raining when I spray it on, then later on that night temperatures go sub-zero.

Safe driving everyone.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:50 PM   #9
Proliphic
Trying to stay on 4wheels

Send a message via MSN to Proliphic
heh nice list.. some good ideas in there.. and I thought I was prepared well for winter with snow tires and winter wipers.. lol guess i should consider a few more options lol...
Motronix CAI
(Magic Fairy Dust )
Strut Brace
APEX Sport Springs
18" M3 CSL look-a-like's
Clear Corners All Around
6000K HID's
Thinline Angel Eyes

Black/Silver 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
8000K HID's
Clear Signals
(More to come)
Proliphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #10
kidneykill
3rd Gear Member

I carry a small icescraper in my work bag... how else do you get into your ice encased car when your only scraper is held hostage in your trunk? Oh I usually have two snow/ice brushes in the trunk, my buddies earn their free rides home!

I still dunno how effective it is to flip your wipers off the windshield when parked for long periods (esp. in freezing rain)... isn't a windshield defroster enough?

And most importantly, even if you don't have to, pee before you get in the car... a 10 minute trip can easily turn into a 45 minute bladder torture!
kidneykill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:40 PM   #11
kidneykill
3rd Gear Member

OMG that sunken garage was a very bad design/idea!
kidneykill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #12
Hasselhoff
3rd Gear Member

Winter Tips - Tricks

As usual, Justin you're a wealth of good advice!!

I unplug the electrical connector to the washer pump for the headlight spray nozzles during the winter. I got sick of having to refill the washer resevoir once or twice a week!

Here's a picture:
Hasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:46 PM   #13
Gamite

agreed, headlight washers suck!

I use rain-x de-icer as well, works wonders. a tad on the expensive side though. Justin, that black sheet metal over the kidneys is a clever idea.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #14
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneykill
I still dunno how effective it is to flip your wipers off the windshield when parked for long periods (esp. in freezing rain)... isn't a windshield defroster enough?
in some cars (e34) your wipers are lower than your windshield defroster, so heat never reaches the wipers.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:22 PM   #15
Soldo
6th Gear Member

I just carry a cellphone with me wherever i go... hehehe

Knock on wood but i don't have too many winter problems with my car, the only advice i can give is with cars without ASC, be your own traction control when the roads haven't been paved yet.

Whenever the roads are covered with snow, i jusdt keep fethering the throttle and i never have a problem with tire spins, or the car drifting side to side!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: