Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #46
MGYVER
2nd Gear Member

ps. I can only wish for your idea of one policy for a driver with multiple cars. After all, I can only drive one car at a time, so why should I pay insurance as if I was driving them all at the SAME time?? Too bad the insurance companies don't see it that way.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #47
e36rok
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGYVER View Post
Actually getting an appraisal is in your benefit. It allows you to tell the insurance company every single mod that you have spent money on in your car. Once you have the appraisal and have an agreed upon value, then there is no debate if you total the car.

ie. You get an appraisal on your 1987 E30 with all your stereo, suspension, wheels, paint, custom interior for $15,000.
If you total the car, you get a check for $15,000 with no hassle, no fight, no debate. The appraisal is there to protect you.

Also, with regards to modifications, you can always get a car insured, it will just be through "facility" insurance. (ie. the insurance that repeat drunk drivers have to pay) My fully gutted, caged, rally car is insured for the street this way. The rates may seem high but if you are only driving the car in the summer, and you take off all the insurance (except fire and theft) during the winter months, it's not that bad. Plus you have the peace of mind knowing that everything is "above board" so you don't have to worry if something happens.

I know that if most people have an accident, they probably would not make a claim anyway and just pay out of pocket to avoid further rate increases, but what if your car gets stolen? That's a big loss to just chalk up to "bad luck". At least with a fully appraised vehicle you will get back a good portion of what you put into your car.

Food for thought.
Did that an hour ago... we'll see what the asshole wants to fix his Grand Caravan bumper.
e36rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #48
e36rok
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGYVER View Post
ps. I can only wish for your idea of one policy for a driver with multiple cars. After all, I can only drive one car at a time, so why should I pay insurance as if I was driving them all at the SAME time?? Too bad the insurance companies don't see it that way.
When I lived in Belgium in 90-95 you didn't need insurance, and if you actually had it, the entire policy increased only 10% for each car added.

People also weren't so hungry to sue after every oportunity back then, and back there... America has redefined the lawsuit in the last two decades and that's why we have insurance for everything now. If insurance companies threw out half of the phony back injury claims our premiums would be somewhat sane, but who wants that?
e36rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #49
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

If I want to put aftermarket suspension and rims.. will THAT "void" my insurance coverage as well???
BMWdouche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #50
vVicked
2nd Gear Member

Whoa bringing back an old topic, but after reading there is some very useful information here. I'm glad we have such resources!

To the bringer back of an old topic, your question was answered in this very thread just have a little read.
vVicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #51
mclovin
3rd Gear Member

Hockeyfan, plz clear ur private messages. Trying to send you one for a quote but it says you exceeded your limit.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #52
rider-.
3rd Gear Member

ok now i have a question, when would an insurance company ever investigate if ur motor had modifications, like if u installed a m54b30 in the place of an m54b25, there is no visable way to check the motor other then the vin number which is not visable.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #53
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

I'd say a theft recovery is your most likely instance. If by way of a collision, you seriously injured someone and were being sued to/beyond the extent of your policy limits they may go over the car with a microscope.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: