Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #31
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
now? civics could always go 200..

the reason modified cars are so high is because the media and fast and the furious... hyped up bs.
Weren't they speed governed to 180 before? my 98 hatch was, my teg was too
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #32
e36rok
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm I thought this was common knowledge but if you have a modified car you go with SilverWheels.

Under the SilverWheels CustomWheels plan you can insure almost anything, as long as it's not daily driven (there are some exceptions, no stereo competition cars, no drag cars, no parachutes, no NOx, but otherwise almost all mods are good). The key is to have just one sponsor, my friends get any shop to sponsor the car for X amount of shows they'll go to that year. That way when they get pulled over or someone hits them, they were just on the way to a show or going to the shop for some work on the car. A lot of show cars that are only Sunday driven use this insurance, so SilverWheels knows cars under this plan attend a lot of shows. Most claim the high mileage each year is for car shows and events in Canada and the US, as this insurance covers you while in either country, and if you go to 3 shows in the south that's all you need to claim right there.

There are other custom car insurance companies, but this one is the best for Canadians.
e36rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #33
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36rok View Post
Hmmm I thought this was common knowledge but if you have a modified car you go with SilverWheels.

Under the SilverWheels CustomWheels plan you can insure almost anything, as long as it's not daily driven (there are some exceptions, no stereo competition cars, no drag cars, no parachutes, no NOx, but otherwise almost all mods are good). The key is to have just one sponsor, my friends get any shop to sponsor the car for X amount of shows they'll go to that year. That way when they get pulled over or someone hits them, they were just on the way to a show or going to the shop for some work on the car. A lot of show cars that are only Sunday driven use this insurance, so SilverWheels knows cars under this plan attend a lot of shows. Most claim the high mileage each year is for car shows and events in Canada and the US, as this insurance covers you while in either country, and if you go to 3 shows in the south that's all you need to claim right there.

There are other custom car insurance companies, but this one is the best for Canadians.
Ok thanks bro, will call them up first thing tmr... im with belair, and there being a real douche.... they want me to take it to some shop so they can take pics of the car???

Wow is this really there rates??
http://www.lant-ins.ca/silver_premium.php

Thats dirt cheap!!
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS

Last edited by iverson03tj; 12-04-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #34
e36rok
2nd Gear Member

It is cheap, but keep in mind those are the prices for people who meet the perfect requirements. Need to be 26, need to have at least 1 insured daily driver other than the 'specialty car' you're insuring with them, need to have a clean driving record, etc. Two of my buddies don't have the 10yrs driving experiences needed so they insured it under their father's/uncle's policy, and since they have DDs anyway, everything looks stellar to SilverWheel.

Also those rates you're looking at are for classic cars, not modified cars. Classic cars cost almost nothing to insure since they are rarely driven. Modified cars go in the CustomWheel category. Good luck, and yes BelAir blows donkey dick.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #35
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

So does the other vehicle also have to be under silver wheel? or can it be with a different company... and just the modified one, under custom wheel..

Also correct me if im wrong but annual premium means tha price for the whole year right? and not monthly...
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #36
e36rok
2nd Gear Member

I would think any vehicle, on any policy. This is just to assure them that you're not dailying the modified car. I don't think they insure regular cars so I assume the DD can be insured with any company.

And yes annual is per year.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #37
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

ok perfect!, anyone know howmuch an apraisal would cost?
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 12-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #38
e36rok
2nd Gear Member

Appraisals start at $50/60 and go up from there.

Why not take it to BimmerGuys or Bramhall?

http://www.bimmerguys.ca/toronto-car...for-m-t-o-tax/

http://www.bramclassauto.com/appraisals.php
Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #39
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
I'm sorry, I know you work for insurance but it is a complete fraud. It is the best scam ever invented.
When I total up how much premium I've paid over the years, it makes me want to vomit...but it still doesn't equal how much they've paid to cover damages/injuries I've caused so I personally can't say its a scam. (I have had 4 at faults, last one was 8 yrs ago, though)

However, bash the industry all you'd like, I'm not going to take offence

I realize it sucks paying a LOT for something that is only going to increase if you have to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
Nobody likes to pay high premium on insurance, its the way the insuance and ontario gov sleeps together.. the Ont gov recently reduced the amount one can claim for injury without reducing the premium .... of course.. they allow you the option to claim more but you pay higher premium...
Next to fraud, Government is the second (FSCO) and third (Courts) worst enemy of the insurance industry. There is no love between the two. Anything you've heard to the contrary is factless babble.

Quote:
Now coming to your s/c. as long as you can get your car with the s/c insured, that means letting them know what you have in the engine bay and not just the M3 shell... you will be covered just like anyone driving a Honda civic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
Ok thanks bro, will call them up first thing tmr... im with belair, and there being a real douche.... they want me to take it to some shop so they can take pics of the car???

Wow is this really there rates??
http://www.lant-ins.ca/silver_premium.php

Thats dirt cheap!!
Lant can choose to decline your car. It has happened to other members here. I believe the reason given was "that isn't really a classic" (referring to an E30). Acceptance is at their discretion.

Silver wheel is for non-modified vehicles. They are more geared to the classic muscle cars.

Custom wheel is Lant's package for modified cars, but it is also more classic muscle car focused.

I work with a company called Hagerty Insurnace who's bragging rights are they insure Jay Leno's fleet. They have the same limitations as the Silver/Custom wheel program, but don't require an appraisal.

-you need to be 25yrs or older
-licenced for 10 years
-have a daily use vehicle (with you listed as the primary driver)
-car will not be driven for commute, errands, regular transportation.

The whole debate about modified cars being a higher risk has been going on for years. the long and the short of it is this. What is the intended use of your car?

If a guy goes to a gun shop and wants to buy a rifle (a non-modified car), the assumption is; that guy wants to go hunting. If he asks for a fully automatic machine gun (supercharged M3), you'd assume he wants to go on a murderous rampage. The gun-buyer would argue, "they both shoot bullets" (just as an unmodified car can speed) however the intended use is not the same.

With a modified car the assumption is that you want to go fast, more often. That equals a greater risk of injury to you or others around you. Plain and simple.

If you own a machine gun, you are going to shoot more rounds then a guy with a rifle.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #40
damameke
6th Gear Member

hockeyfan27.. thanks for provding insurance info .. it has value
is it possible to insure a car by fix days only? like friday to sunday?
I dont think there is
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 AM   #41
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
Weren't they speed governed to 180 before? my 98 hatch was, my teg was too
not any of the north american vtac models that i know of
Old 12-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #42
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
hockeyfan27.. thanks for provding insurance info .. it has value
is it possible to insure a car by fix days only? like friday to sunday?
I dont think there is
I'm happy to answer whatever questons I come across. Post 'em up and I'll do my best.

Not that I know of. Not likely either. It would be a hard lawsuit to win on the companies side. client says "I slept for a long time, woke up and I thought it was Saturday" Currently the company has to prove the client knew their policy was cancelled, or at least made their best effort to notify them, that's why cancellations come by registered mail.

If I ruled the Ontario insurance industry, I would make the policy follow the driver. You can only drive one car at a time. So you buy your policy based on a liability limit, include the accident benefits, and purchase collision coverage based on the value of the vehicle(s) you intend to drive. You would need to buy separate comprehensive coverage that follows the vehicles you own, but this way you could have 4 cars and drive whatever one you wanted on whatever day. AND you don't get into a situation where you borrow a friends car and you can't find a slip or worse: he doesn't have insurance.

But that makes too much sense for our government!

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 12-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #43
MGYVER
2nd Gear Member

Appraisal

Actually getting an appraisal is in your benefit. It allows you to tell the insurance company every single mod that you have spent money on in your car. Once you have the appraisal and have an agreed upon value, then there is no debate if you total the car.

ie. You get an appraisal on your 1987 E30 with all your stereo, suspension, wheels, paint, custom interior for $15,000.
If you total the car, you get a check for $15,000 with no hassle, no fight, no debate. The appraisal is there to protect you.

Also, with regards to modifications, you can always get a car insured, it will just be through "facility" insurance. (ie. the insurance that repeat drunk drivers have to pay) My fully gutted, caged, rally car is insured for the street this way. The rates may seem high but if you are only driving the car in the summer, and you take off all the insurance (except fire and theft) during the winter months, it's not that bad. Plus you have the peace of mind knowing that everything is "above board" so you don't have to worry if something happens.

I know that if most people have an accident, they probably would not make a claim anyway and just pay out of pocket to avoid further rate increases, but what if your car gets stolen? That's a big loss to just chalk up to "bad luck". At least with a fully appraised vehicle you will get back a good portion of what you put into your car.

Food for thought.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #44
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGYVER View Post
Actually getting an appraisal is in your benefit. It allows you to tell the insurance company every single mod that you have spent money on in your car. Once you have the appraisal and have an agreed upon value, then there is no debate if you total the car.

ie. You get an appraisal on your 1987 E30 with all your stereo, suspension, wheels, paint, custom interior for $15,000.
If you total the car, you get a check for $15,000 with no hassle, no fight, no debate. The appraisal is there to protect you.
Getting an appraisal is only beneficial if your insurer will not offer an "Agreed Value" endorsement without it. If they offer it without, as Hagerty does, it's just a waste of time and money. Generally companies that require appraisals request one every few years, so finding a company that doesn't want one can save you a lot of money in the long run, especially if you have multiple classic or modified cars.

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 12-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #45
MGYVER
2nd Gear Member

Appraisal

That's true, if you can get an "Agreed Value" but you may have problems arising at a consensus without proof. For example, you tell them your rims are worth $2000, your stereo is worth $5000 and your paint job is worth $5000, and your model is "limited edition". Their idea of what it's worth and your idea will probably differ a lot. An appraisal is an objective 3rd party determining a value you will both agree to. It usually costs $200-$300 for an appraisal has to be done every 5 years. Depending on how much your car is worth, that's not too bad.
If you are happy with the "agreed value" then of course you don't need an appraisal. As you stated, it really depends on the insurance company and also the level of modification you have.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: