Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
what if in the worst case you get into an accident and someone gets seriously hurt or killed... but u have a modified car. Will they cover the person who got hurt?
I believed that will be covered under liability...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
what if in the worst case you get into an accident and someone gets seriously hurt or killed... but u have a modified car. Will they cover the person who got hurt?
Under ontario law, i belive that the insurance company must pay for the 3rd party..
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #18
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
I want to insure my car so that if anything happened i would be covered. So is it ok to tell the insurance that i got a s/c and that i have valid saftey and e-test... And do we get to choose the guy that does the appraisal or do they provide you with one of there guys?...

I want to make sure the car is insured, just in case...
They will provide a referral to a recommended appraiser if you request it. You can also choose your own appraiser but the insurance company can refuse the appraisal if it doesn't contain what they are looking for. If you are asked to obtain one, clarify what they want in it. Some appraisals are a page or 2 with 1 or 2 pics, some are 15 pages with pics of EVERYTHING.

Be warned that most insurance companies do not like after market superchargers on cars that did not come with them stock. Depending on your insurance company, you may just get a letter stating your policy is being cancelled as you no longer "fit their underwriting guidelines".

Quote:
Quote:
Under Ontario law, I believe that the insurance company must pay for the 3rd party..
Every case is different. Generally, you are correct, the insurance company will be stuck paying the liability claim but there have been cases where the court ruled the insurance company only had to pay the the mandatory minimum policy limits. ($200 000) and the insured was responsible to cover the rest. In many of those cases, the insurance company then sued their insured for that $200 000 to recoup the pay-out. Typically this happens for cases where the driver is drunk however, it has happened with other "material change in risk" situations, such as a highly modified vehicle.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #19
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I'm sorry, I know you work for insurance but it is a complete fraud. It is the best scam ever invented.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #20
marks525
3rd Gear Member

There have to be specialty insurers out there with "hot-rod" type policies. Someone's got to be willing to insure that risk, but the premium won't be cheap.

Full disclosure is the best policy with insurers. They've got to know what risk they are insuring and be able to charge accordingly.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
I like this thread because it's very realistic. On the other hand, it makes me very weary of doing any mods to my future car. I'm guessing suspension is an easy one for them to say, ahhh, sorry not covering you!

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #22
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
I like this thread because it's very realistic. On the other hand, it makes me very weary of doing any mods to my future car. I'm guessing suspension is an easy one for them to say, ahhh, sorry not covering you!
I would think suspension improvements would be better....And easy to justify,

Also i really wanna know this too, cuz soon im getting a m3 shell and droping my s/c in it.... i would like it to be fully covered..

And what about if someone hits your car, and they are at fault, wouldnt the at fault insurer have to cover the damages no matter what the value of the vehicle is (unless its a write off..)
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 12-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #23
damameke
6th Gear Member

If someone hits you(touch wood), they wil be at fault.. your ins co still pay your repair hence the no fault insurance. I dont believe they claim against each other...

Old 12-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
If someone hits you(touch wood), they wil be at fault.. your ins co still pay your repair hence the no fault insurance. I dont believe they claim against each other...

But would they cover any damages to the s/c? or are they gonna be real anal about it....
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #25
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
But would they cover any damages to the s/c? or are they gonna be real anal about it....
"im getting a m3 shell and droping my s/c in it.... i would like it to be fully covered"

If you have ins on the car with the s/c, they cant be anal about it for you are already paying the premium .. so it should be covered...
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #26
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
"im getting a m3 shell and droping my s/c in it.... i would like it to be fully covered"

If you have ins on the car with the s/c, they cant be anal about it for you are already paying the premium .. so it should be covered...
What i ment was, that i was just going to insure it as a regular m3... so if i didn get into a collision and the other person was at fault, would my s/c still be covered...

Shit all this is confusing me and scaring me...
I think imma go for a some....
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 12-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #27
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
What i ment was, that i was just going to insure it as a regular m3... so if i didn get into a collision and the other person was at fault, would my s/c still be covered...

Shit all this is confusing me and scaring me...
I think imma go for a some....
Not only would your SC not be covered, but you may be denied any coverage at all (which could be millions considering personal injury).

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #28
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

DAMN, that sucks.... i gotta say, this insurance policy shit is suck a huge scam.... how are modified cars more deadly than regular cars... i mean even a civic can reach speeds of 200 km now...
Y should modified cars be any different (sure the modded cars can reach 200 km faster), but i think thats unfair, if cars with 700 + hp can get insured.... think a bimmer should too...

does anyone know a good insurance company that covers cars that are modified... maybe i can say its a show car??
PREVIOUS CARS

Last edited by iverson03tj; 12-04-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #29
damameke
6th Gear Member

Nobody likes to pay high premium on insurance, its the way the insuance and ontario gov sleeps together.. the Ont gov recently reduced the amount one can claim for injury without reducing the premium .... of course.. they allow you the option to claim more but you pay higher premium...

For a person that has good driving record. they still hit you and you see many changing insurance recently

Now coming to your s/c. as long as you can get your car with the s/c insured, that means letting them know what you have in the engine bay and not just the M3 shell... you will be covered just like anyone driving a Honda civic....
Old 12-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #30
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

now? civics could always go 200..

the reason modified cars are so high is because the media and fast and the furious... hyped up bs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: