Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

New Battery

Just wondering what battery will fit the E30 and that can start in -20degree weather. My battery in the car now doesn't like this cold weather and it's eating the power when it tries to crank over so a new battery is a must. Also, just wondering if there is any other things that I must do, like getting a new ground cable that's longer. Thank guys!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
optima deep cycle (grey base) will work. I'd go for yellow.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, a battery heater works really well. Ottawa rarely goes under -25 (although it certainly does), i'd get a pad heater for your oil pan (about 150w) and a battery heater for the trunk (usually between 38-80w). If you wire it up to a thermostatically controlled splitter (ebay, 10$) then you can have these two heaters turn on automatically when the temperature drops below -10, or whatever the thermostatic splitter you buy is rated for.

This will still be a pretty small draw (about 200w), but if you're worried about your power bill you can just add a timer before the thermostatically controlled splitter, where your car will only heat itself if its between 6-8AM and the weather is under -10.

pad heater -40$
battery heater -35$
thermostatic splitter -10$
timer - 9$
-extension cable 10$

that's 104$ vs 300$ for an optima yellowtop, and you dont have to run synthetic since you never cold start the car(which will save you some bucks)
I dont pay for power at my carport so i leave mine on 24X7.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I never thought of something like that. I was thinking about getting a normal battery from crappy tire that's good for 800CCA or something. Also, that would only cost 100$ max with a warranty.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Block heater or other aftermarket oil pan heater do wonders in cold start, I have seen them in action up to -50 weather when i lived in Quebec!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

So this pad heater, what exactly is involved. Does it attach to your car and just hang under the oil pan? I don't pay for hydro outside where my car is parked so I can have it plugged in all day long.

EDIT : I searched Canadian Tire and found these.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Last edited by HavocSteve; 11-28-2010 at 06:20 PM.
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

+1000 on the optima batteries, they are a bit more money, but also last forever, just remember to put a cheapie in when u sell the car, or put the battery from your new car into it. only down side is you may have to make something up to hold them down, as they tend to be a bit smaller, but they are bullet proof. had a red top in the E30, which went to the black e36 and is now in the white E36 when its battery died, yellow top in the Black E36 a few weeks ago, no worries for this winter!!

ultimate "heater" for the motor are the ones that go in the rad, keeps both the coolant, block and oil warm, more comaony used in propane power vehicles to make sure everything is a constant temp, but the plus is, your heat an defrost work right away.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood's original battery got killed when I put the new amp/sub in, so I went over to CT and got myself a Nascar Advantage for $80. Been fine so far, cranks in this (sorta) cold winter we're getting into.

My roommate said go either AC Delco or Interstate, just no Eliminators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Alright cool. Looks like I'll keep the old battery for when I sell it to my buddy (works perfect for summer time just not at -10) and get me a optima.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Given that the optima seems to have this great performance and warranty, I went to total battery (near Costco, other side of hunt club) to get one. The guy steered me away from a Optima battery to a total battery brand direct fit, less than 1/2 the price of the red top and the *SAME* warranty. I did some reading when I got home (so I didn't feel screwed) and realized Optima have one big thing going for them: a great marketing plan. Other than that, their batteries aren't so shit hot.

So, Total Battery have the large size E30 battery, complete with tray thingies on the bottom and the drain in the right place, for about $90. Very much +1 on it, I am really hard on batteries since I forget to put it on a tender for weeks at a time, and its survived, into year 2 now. (My car sits a lot.)
Old 11-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Off topic, but talking about batterys, i have this AA Panasonic running a digital clock for 12-13 years now...without replacing.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:05 AM   #11
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

i just bought one from Canadian T. $114 and they give u a $12 back for ur old one.. 6 yrs warranty.

CCA 500
CA 730

tell them to match it to that and the size of ur battery.
Aloush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I bought one but onto another topic
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Use 5w50.

When I lived up near James Bay all I could buy was 10w40 but 2 weeks out of the year it can go under -40 without wind. I had to plug the block heater in and the battery blanket in, all night, or it wouldn't start. The rest of the day was fine, but that first start in the morning was killer.

I should mention the time I had to change my waterpump gasket outside and it was -25. Not very fun.

Oh or the time I realized that 50/50 coolant is not good... when the rad was frozen solid. So I usually run about 75% coolant in the winter, my son still lives up north so this e30 gets winterized and does the 3000 km drive without issues. You e30 guys would laugh at all the fancy pants people* I pass in the ditch. I stop if the incident looks fresh as I carry a full toolkit, axe, shovel, etc.

Okay way off topic

* 'fancy pants people' - You know the I have a 4x4 and now I'm colin mcrae, or my car has the automatic ball tosser under the seat. etc. My TL will reign in heaven and everyone will forget that e30's ever existed. LOL. And so on and soforth.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 11-30-2010 at 08:08 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
voluted
2nd Gear Member

I've had a motomaster 75DT (630 cca) in my car for four years. The car sits outside year round and I have never had a hard time starting the car. 3 year free replacement and 9 year total warrenty.
voluted is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: