Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
hawgripper
2nd Gear Member

My E36 rant!!!

It has now been a month since I started looking for another E36 325 or 328 and I am having horrible luck.
I just finished cruising to TO car lots today and have found nothing but junk.
Looked at some privat ads with lots of misleading descriptions still lookin for close to $5000 for them.

Lets be honest, with the price of the E46's coming down so much the E36's are not worth what people think they are, unless they are some of the members cars that are mint. I sold my 98' 328 2 years ago with 304k and a lot of maintenance and upgrades for $3800 and in great shape which I thought was more than fair at the time.

I think what bothers me the most is when someone puts mint in their ad without truely knowing what MINT means. Good shape or fair would be a better description. If you put NO RUST in your ad I better not find any....

Anyways, If someone out their has or knows someone with a 5 speed coupe or sedan for sale that is honest please forward them to me.

Signed,
Uterly disappointed....
lol......
hawgripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
e36rok
2nd Gear Member

Always being on the lookout for clean bunnys and e30s, I can relate to the 'no rust' bullshit. Words cannot describe the rage in my eyes after driving 3 or 4 hours to the middle of butt**** nowhere to find an e30 RAPED by rust, but the owner said numerous times that the car is 'mint and rust free,' and when pointing out the holes bigger than my fist getting a response similar to 'well it's 30 years old, otherwise it's mint though!'

Kijiji seems to be filled with 47 chromosome children lately, the ads are even written as if the owner actually had downsyndrome.
e36rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
hawgripper
2nd Gear Member

I know exactly what you are saying, I drove 2 hrs today to look at a mint 328 mpack with a crumpled dent in the rear quarter and passenger door the size of a beachball, and his reaction was a couple hundred bucks could fix that.
I don't mind if I knew ahead of time. what I was coming to see...
hawgripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

wow. yeah lying like that is hardcore ghey!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
325isdan
5th Gear Member

One month is not long enough for a hunt for a car, especially in Canada. Took me almost 6 months to find my E36. Be patient and never settle for something because you want it now.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

I know how you feel.

I saw a Kijiji ad in Montreal for an E39 530i, after several emails and phone calls asking the seller, he confirmed the car is "clean, impeccable, no rust, just some rock chips on the front bumper"...

Riiight... this is what I saw when I drove over to Montreal to check it out...

Rust on bottom of 3 doors, plus some bubbles here and there.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
BSL
2nd Gear Member

I feel your pain. Clean e36's are nearly impossible to get now.
But I do have line on a nice low mileage 98 328 4dr, Ill be checking out this weekend
Ill pm with info...
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
e36rok
2nd Gear Member

Actually if you're willing to travel I know a guy selling a mint 328is in Sarnia.
It's black on dove leather and it needs something very minor like brakes or an ebrake, I forget. I was very interested before I got my e30 because he only wanted $2800 and I thought 'even with any mechanical problems it may have, it's a 100% rust free e36 in Canada for under 3k.'

Let me know if you want me to ask if it's still available, it would be 3+ hours for you, each way.
e36rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

It definitely takes a while to find something...and to be honest if someone does not specifically list no rust...i would expect rust on these cars especially around here.

I had my fair share of rusty cars I ran into where the seller either downplayed it and/or didnt even list it in the ad.

It took me months to find my car and it still wasnt PERFECT, though its hard to find perfect these days and you will pay for it if you find one.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Phantom
Automation geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
though its hard to find perfect these days and you will pay for it if you find one.

Took the words right out of my mouth. The cars are out there, but you will pay an arm and leg. You cant get upset when you find one, and the owner wants almost as much as it would cost for an E46.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
so this thread is a complaint about how people who actually do have clean, rust free e36's wont sell them for 5K?
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #12
Boss17
6th Gear Member

You guys are complaining that the condition of these E36's you've been seeing are horrible and they've got a list of issues, well you get what you pay for. If you want clean, well kept examples then you should be prepared to shell out more the $5K.

I'm actually selling my E36 if anyone is interested. But there is no way in hell i'd let it go for 5K. Last year alone I did almost 4k worth of suspension upgrades and work. If you were to part my car out, you'd make more than 5k lol.

If you're looking for a well maintained, clean and nicely modded E36, expect to pay $7k+. I'm selling mine for $8k obo and I would be in no rush to sell because of the amount of money I've put into it to make it look and drive the way it does.

Eddie
1990 Ford Probe Turbo- SOLD
Boss17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss17 View Post
You guys are complaining that the condition of these E36's you've been seeing are horrible and they've got a list of issues, well you get what you pay for. If you want clean, well kept examples then you should be prepared to shell out more the $5K.

I'm actually selling my E36 if anyone is interested. But there is no way in hell i'd let it go for 5K. Last year alone I did almost 4k worth of suspension upgrades and work. If you were to part my car out, you'd make more than 5k lol.

If you're looking for a well maintained, clean and nicely modded E36, expect to pay $7k+. I'm selling mine for $8k obo and I would be in no rush to sell because of the amount of money I've put into it to make it look and drive the way it does.

Eddie
Do you have a M3 badge on your trunk? I saw one this past week on the 401 W in Ajax.

I agree, a clean e36 is worth more than 5k, but at $8k you can find an M3 for not much more, which makes the non-m hard to sell at $8k.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
My crib

I saw this thread and took some pics from my area to show you guys how clean the cars are. Lets start from the

E46 Vert (early model)

E36 325i ( early model as well)

and the E30 (early body as well) I think this E30 is cleaner than most E46 in Canada lol.

Cheers
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
BSL
2nd Gear Member

Ive been buying selling cars for quite a while. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way.
I'm just commenting on some trends I've found in the market.

I have found BMW's to be one brand where it is very difficult to come out ahead.
I've looked at lots and lots lots of BMW's for sale and bought and sold a couple of my own.
I ALWAYS put way more $$ and work into them, than I estimate. Also, I never make as much as I would on a different brand.
I really think these cars are a labour of love.

First off, basing the value of a car, on the price others are asking, will always end in disappointment.
Asking prices and selling prices are usually WAY different, and it seems many people will lie, to make it look like they got more $$ or a better deal.

Secondly, Adding up the cost of modifications or repairs and thinking a car is actually worth more than that sum is asinine.
Its almost as stupid as the Honda kid who thinks his car has 300+HP by adding up the HP gains K+N, Magnaflow and BBK claim.
On a clean car, money spent on suspension and other performance upgrades is usually lost money.
In RARE cases, when these parts can be removed and still hold value, or when there are LEGITIMATE bills to prove stuff was installed and set up correctly, some of that money can be recouped.... but never all of it.
That same car, in clean shape with no, (or just basic wheels, stereo, lights etc) mods, will usually be worth more money at the end of the day.

I used to literally have PILES of honda 'upgrade' parts.. lights, amps, rims, intakes, fart cans, coil overs, you-name-it-aftermarket-crap, that I took out of civics before I sold them.
Even if I threw the stuff away, I would make way more money making the cars look and sound stock again.
Unless the buyer is an educated enthusiast, people that actually have money will run from a car that might have been abused.

I have also found that an owner who is selling his modded car will only take lowballing so long, before letting a car go for way less than he originally expected to get...
Although to save face, he wont call any of those low ballers back and offer it for less.
This applies to the guys who don't have the time or resources to part em out.

I see that gorgeous white E36 a couple posts up, and don't doubt its as nice as an M3 and cost as much to make that way.
But I do doubt the seller will ever get the kind of money he expects.
Unless he is prepared to be super patient with tire kickers or spend a bunch of time parting it out.

Lets face it.
Rust free, Problem free, low-mileage, E36's have almost become collector cars, and price will reflect that... to a point, as many disappointed sellers have realized.
The corroded, 'modded', used up E36's out there are generally worthless and every seller will eventually realize that too.

Just MHO. Cheers

Last edited by BSL; 11-28-2010 at 09:57 PM.
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: