Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
E36is
'OldSchool..'

Hella euro smilies

So i just picked up a set of Hella euro smilies (h1 bulbs included) from a member here, havent installed it yet as i had to make my own non bmw issued connectors and wiring harness. My question is for anybody that has these types of headlights is it worth the extra cost for HIDs or will the H1 bulbs provide more than enough lighting output and range? Also, the harness i made, i used 22 ga wiring, seeing that its only 12v, i just want to make sure if 22 ga is adaquate or should i look into 14-16 ga?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
K///Mikes
2nd Gear Member

22 gauge should be fine i usually use 18 gauge but i have tons of it so thats y, ive heard that the h1 bulbs are more than enough light output for these, i dont have the smilies but in my ellipsoids i installed 6000K HID slim ballest that i baught for 70bux, they work great for me. hope this helps!
K///Mikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

why don't you just use the gauge of wire that BMW used for the rest of the headlamp wiring? 22g is pretty small, it might be fine for now but there is a fair bit of current going through it, why would you want to take chances?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
DYMO
JDM soul

FYI
HIDs and Xenons are now illegal in ontario, and there are a few companies issuing recalls for cars with those types of lights from factory.
we're not allowed to pass cars for safety checks if they have anything but your run of the mill yellow headlights installed on them.

also makes you a target for getting tickets by A55hole cops.

just giving you a heads up.

good choice on grabbing Hella's btw. i perfer mine over the bosch ones anyday
DYMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYMO View Post
FYI
HIDs and Xenons are now illegal in ontario, and there are a few companies issuing recalls for cars with those types of lights from factory.
we're not allowed to pass cars for safety checks if they have anything but your run of the mill yellow headlights installed on them.
Really? Since when?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
DYMO
JDM soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Really? Since when?
i really dont know. my boss just told me that about a week ago when i was doing a safety check on a civic. (civic failed on safety for HIDs, aftermarket taillights, shaved door handles, and lowered ride height)

i doubt the law will be heavily enforced, but my boss decided to go along with the law since we've had issues in the past with MTO bugging us about letting things slide.

its just something to keep in mind when doing mods, like every other stupid law out there, some cops might overlook it, others might be complete dicks and ticket you for as much as possible
Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Quote:
FYI

ummm.... wut?

I never heard about anyone having legal issues for having HIDs installed, especially for OEM lighting systems. How could that rule possibly be enforced? When I worked at Infiniti, 90% of the cars had HIDs. Where I work now, all the Genesis cars have HIDS, and the upcoming Equus will too. Not one customer has come to us and said "remove my HIDs please, i got a ticket for it".

I think you need to get your boss to cite (and double check) his source. Ontario's policy makers are retarded, but not this badly.

Edit: I just looked at the latest release of the HTA, nowhere in there does it say that HIDs are not allowed. It references coatings on the headlights, output colour, output directions (glare), modifications too and the number of headlamps allowed/required on a vehicle; but nowhere does it say anything along the lines of "the use of high intensity discharge lighting on a motor vehicle is prohibited"

edit 2: here is the link to the part of the HTA that specifically lists what is required of a motor vehicle in order to pass safety. http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...0611_e.htm#BK6 lighting is basically at the end of schedule 1

Last edited by Dissembler; 11-17-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Dissembler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
davericher20
black and blue

^^bam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
DYMO
JDM soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissembler View Post
ummm.... wut?

I never heard about anyone having legal issues for having HIDs installed, especially for OEM lighting systems. How could that rule possibly be enforced? When I worked at Infiniti, 90% of the cars had HIDs. Where I work now, all the Genesis cars have HIDS, and the upcoming Equus will too. Not one customer has come to us and said "remove my HIDs please, i got a ticket for it".

I think you need to get your boss to cite (and double check) his source. Ontario's policy makers are retarded, but not this badly.

Edit: I just looked at the latest release of the HTA, nowhere in there does it say that HIDs are not allowed. It references coatings on the headlights, output colour, output directions (glare), modifications too and the number of headlamps allowed/required on a vehicle; but nowhere does it say anything along the lines of "the use of high intensity discharge lighting on a motor vehicle is prohibited"

edit 2: here is the link to the part of the HTA that specifically lists what is required of a motor vehicle in order to pass safety. http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...0611_e.htm#BK6 lighting is basically at the end of schedule 1
thanks i'll forward that to my boss
Old 11-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
E36is
'OldSchool..'

name of shop you work for??? wow, looks like your boss either doesnt read the ontario standards for motor vehicles or he just makes up things on the fly... i hate to imagine how many vehicles he has failed and recieved money for something that is not true.

anyways back on topic. ya 22ga wire is what i had available, i may just splice in 16-18 ga in between the connectors i made, and heat shrink the entire harness. Ive got a set of h7 bulbs with 35w ballast that im using on the e36 fogs i think i'll retrofit them into the h1 bulb housing.

Quote:
i really dont know. my boss just told me that about a week ago when i was doing a safety check on a civic. (civic failed on safety for HIDs, aftermarket taillights, shaved door handles, and lowered ride height)

i doubt the law will be heavily enforced, but my boss decided to go along with the law since we've had issues in the past with MTO bugging us about letting things slide.

its just something to keep in mind when doing mods, like every other stupid law out there, some cops might overlook it, others might be complete dicks and ticket you for as much as possible
Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36is View Post
name of shop you work for??? wow, looks like your boss either doesnt read the ontario standards for motor vehicles or he just makes up things on the fly... i hate to imagine how many vehicles he has failed and recieved money for something that is not true.
its not just getting paid for something that isn't true. The big concern is the legal implications if any of their customers decide to get a second safety done somewhere else. That, however, is another discussion for another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36is View Post
anyways back on topic. ya 22ga wire is what i had available, i may just splice in 16-18 ga in between the connectors i made, and heat shrink the entire harness. Ive got a set of h7 bulbs with 35w ballast that im using on the e36 fogs i think i'll retrofit them into the h1 bulb housing.
Switching to 16g would be a good idea. Although HIDs generally only draw 3-7amps when running, their startup requirements are quite high. Not saying anything bad will happen, but going to a smaller wire gauge halfway through a circuit (without the appropriate amperage drop from splitting off to two different loads for example) is generally a bad idea.

You only need to shrink wrap anywhere that you have joined two wires, just use the that rippled wiring protector for the rest of it (shrink wrap doesn't flex that well)
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
E36is
'OldSchool..'

^^ sounds good. I guess i'll head over to sayal electronics over the weekend then.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

Quote:
FYI

Disregarding the HID's being illegal part.

Why is it that hella's are better then the bosch counterparts? Bosch in my opinion is superior to hella as far as euro smilies went because of the full metal housing, rather then the half metal/half plastic the hella housing consists of. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
E36is
'OldSchool..'

So this past weekend had time to finally install the euros. attached my homemade connectors and installed the euros. took about 15 mins total to complete the job, but havent hooked up the city lights (thinking of going bright LED for those). Anyways light output with the h1 bulbs in the euros as compared with the sealed beam is like 75% better, but since im so use to having HIDs from driving the e36 i may go HID in these. My question is i have an old HID set lying around in my parts bins, (h7,6000k, 35watt ballast). Without buying h1 hid lights, what does it take to successfully retrofit the h7's in its place?

Last edited by E36is; 11-22-2010 at 07:21 AM.
E36is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
E36is
'OldSchool..'

So this past weekend had time to finally install the euros. attached my homemade connectors and installed the euros. took about 15 mins total to complete the job, but havent hooked up the city lights (thinking of going bright LED for those). Anyways light output with the h1 bulbs in the euros as compared with the sealed beam is like 75% better, but since im so use to having HIDs from driving the e36 i may go HID in these. My question is i have an old HID set lying around in my parts bins, (h7,6000k, 35watt ballast). Without buying h1 hid lights, what does it take to successfully retrofit the h7's in its place?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: