Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?
 
bmdbley'sBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in your attic!
Posts: 4,674
Exclamation cops can now seize your car for - miss or not pay your child support?



Quote:
More reasons to impound cars
By ANTONELLA ARTUSO, Queen's Park Bureau Chief

Last Updated: November 8, 2010 5:22pm

It’s the end of the road for motorists who drive drunk or while under licence suspension.

Police services across Ontario will have the power to order a vehicle impounded for seven days if the driver has an administrative license suspension, a blood alcohol limit of more than 0.08, refuses a breathalyzer or does not have the required ignition interlock device beginning Dec. 1.

Parents who have been stripped of their driver’s licence for failing to pay child support are included in the new impoundment rules.

“We’re looking for ways to require those parents to be responsible to their kids,” Ontario Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne said Monday. “And so separating someone from his or her vehicle is a pretty significant deterrent.”

The Family Responsibility Office has suspended more than 28,500 drivers licences from deadbeat parents since 2003.

According to the Ministry of Community and Social Services, the first notice of a licence suspension spells out payment options and a deadline to avoid being stripped of driving privileges.

If the parent in default of child custody does not pay up, then the ministry can move forward with a licence suspension.

The new enforcement tool also applies to those motorists who have lost their licence for demerit point accumulation, failure to complete remedial measures and other administrative issues.

License or not — blowing over the legal alcohol limit, or refusing to take the test, will also lead to a seven-day impoundment.

Wynne said Ontario has about 17,000 drivers whose licences have been suspended for impaired driving, indicating the extent of the problem.

“The message around drinking and driving is being reinforced by these sanctions,” she said.

Vehicles are subject to impoundment even if they don’t belong to the suspended or drunk driver.

Owners would be responsible for all costs, which can add up to hundreds of dollars a day for towing and impoundment fees, but may attempt to recover the money through the courts from the driver.

The Ministry of Transportation offers an online and phone service that will tell car owners if a driver is licensed for a nominal fee.

The impoundment rule does not apply to those drivers whose licenses were suspended for medical reason or for unpaid fines.

Police already have the authority to take a vehicle off the road if a driver’s license is suspended for a criminal code violation.



http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad...-16029641.html

comments are interesting

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad...-16029646.html
__________________
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Dan Bro
3rd Gear Member
 
Dan Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oakville
Posts: 356
Quote:
that car is YOUR property, nobody elses...and they should bloody well keep their paws off of it

they can take the license...that is the priveledge....but hands off the property
I agree with this guy, I think the vehicle you drive should not be impounded rather then a license you posses. I don't think highly of people that miss child support payments, but that should not be the reason they seize the vehicle you drive. The vehicle that you use to get to work and make some kind of an effort to make a payment towards the problem should not be taken away from you. Its your own car, and especially if they can't make their child support payments, how will they pay for the tow/storage/release fee's ?

Last edited by Dan Bro; 11-09-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Dan Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
5style
Hatters gon Hatt
 
5style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronot
Posts: 5,130
LOL Ontario.
__________________
Cayenne hunting!
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
LOL Ontario.
so how about that midnight cruise video....
__________________
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,755
fail... this place is a joke
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member
 
hockeyfan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 952
It would be crossing a line if the car was impounded as a direct punishment for not paying shild support. I see no issue with impounding a car when its driven by a person with a suspended licence. Otherwise, what is the consequence of suspending someone licence?
__________________

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
pawcio
6th Gear Member
 
pawcio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
It would be crossing a line if the car was impounded as a direct punishment for not paying shild support. I see no issue with impounding a car when its driven by a person with a suspended licence. Otherwise, what is the consequence of suspending someone licence?
agreed, but what they do is take away the license of the parent who isn't paying child support and then i guess take their car if they are caught driving on the suspended license. i don't think it means they come to your house and take your car off the driveway.

anyway, the well being of ones child should be number one. in all likelihood its more expensive to maintain a car (gas, insurance, parking, oil changes/reg maintenance) during a year than it is to buy a monthly bus pass for 12 months to go to work and then one could send the money they save on not having a car for child support. or if you can't afford it, done have children in the first place.
__________________
__

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
325isdan
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,124
IF you are a dead beat that can't or wont support your own child, but have enough money to put into a car, you deserve nothing. Take the ride away.

Keep your cock in your pants.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member
 
StikiGreenZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Milton, ON
Posts: 1,602
Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
IF you are a dead beat that can't or wont support your own child, but have enough money to put into a car, you deserve nothing. Take the ride away.

Keep your cock in your pants.
What if this person needs a car to get to work to earn money to pay support? Not everyone can get to work using public transit. In my case, public transit costs me more than driving to work. (Milton to downtown Toronto).

Your argument is flawed.
__________________
-

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
pawcio
6th Gear Member
 
pawcio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
What if this person needs a car to get to work to earn money to pay support? Not everyone can get to work using public transit. In my case, public transit costs me more than driving to work. (Milton to downtown Toronto).

Your argument is flawed.
what if is a fun game to play. 99% of ppl who don't pay their child support and drive a car would save money if they took public transit to work rather than drove.

why does the child need to suffer because someone is a douche. get a job closer to home scrubbing toilets to which you can take public transit. even if you earn less then at the job you require a car for, selling your car and saving on other car associated costs may be more economical. if someone drives to work from milton to toronto by car and doesn't make enough at that job to pay child support they should be looking for other work anyway...and they should've been looking years ago.
__________________
__

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
chromius
6th Gear Member
 
chromius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,006
I read about this yesterday. Really unbelievable.

From one of the opinion pieces I read (written by a woman I might add):

"In 2004 an FRO staff member didn’t bother waiting for a court date to review the financial status of an out-of-work truck driver. He just suspended his license because – hey, because he could, you see. But the guy couldn’t pay, because he had no job, you FRO idiot. He had no money to pay with, you FRO moron. He was looking for work, and the FRO decided that the best way to deal with a non-paying parent was to make it impossible to find a job so he could pay the support. Nice going, FRO. His suicide note lamented that he didn’t see any way out of his situation and had lost hope. And did anyone pay for that? Of course not. The FRO is accountable to no one."

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...#ixzz14tj97sBs.
__________________
Photobucket
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
damameke
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,372
Suspending the license of a dead beat who doesnt pay child support serves no purpose at all, it is really flawed...

Pinnochio Dalton McGuity has to go....Ontario under his watch has become an expensive province... taxes taxes and fees .. electricity rate is too expensive with the freaking smart meter...

Tip to saving energy: Dont use the aircon in the winter months or lower it by a few degree...!!!!

ohh dont forget the $40,000 foreign student scholarship....and I always thought
charity begins at home.....

Last edited by damameke; 11-10-2010 at 12:18 PM.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
e30blue
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 299
I actually like this law VERY VERY MUCH

there are plenty of men in toronto with 3-5 kids but yet still drive a Ford Explorer with 22's.
e30blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
talltorontoguy
Go Topless
 
talltorontoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under my e30
Posts: 801
I don't think highly of non payment of child support either. However there's a difference between people that WILL NOT pay verses those that CANNOT pay.

The funny thing here is that in Ontario the FRO can already garnish wages of a non-paying parent without having to go through a court action. If the garnishee didn't work then either the guy is a self employed "will not pay", or (more likely) a guy that lost his job and has no income. (see previous post about truck driver suicide). So why the need to suspend a license? Is it going to spur someone to suddenly pay up? If they have no income (as evidence by a failed garnishee) how will they get the money?

The rules around license suspension / impoundment for non-payment is absolutely flawed. A summary license suspension and now vehicle impoundment is an "act now ask questions later" approach without any consideration of the context of the situation. Many people need a car to get to WORK or use it FOR WORK to earn money to PAY SUPPORT. Or how about this one... THEY NEED IT TO VISIT THEIR KIDS. Not everyone lives in a city with alternative transit.

A guy loses his job, falls behind on payments, gets a new job as a truck driver to try and catch up on his payments... in meantime his license is suspended because he's behind. Now he has no income, and CANNOT PAY. Stupid. There should be a process with consideration for the individual's situation prior to executing on the suspension.

Of course that due process won't happen because it's not politically correct to suggest that someone that didn't pay child support is anything other than a demon scumbag douche who deserves nothing, can't keep his cock in his pants, has 5 kids, and rolls on 22's in an explorer. (as evidenced by several reactions on this thread).

Furthermore (unrelated) it frustrates me that we don't see any reciprocal law suspending licenses or impounding cars of spouses that refuse parental visitation, move unreasonable distances from visiting parents area, or refuse to communicate on serious issues (education / health). All of those things affect the well being of the child as well, yet to resolve those issues one has to go to court at significant expense to the "paying" / "visiting" parent. Sadly recipient parents often gladly accept the support check but forget about the importance of visitation and cooperative decision making. Are they really looking out for the well being of the child? If not, why aren't they held accountable like the paying parents are?

I'm getting real tired of Ontario's politically correct "big brother" laws in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
why does the child need to suffer because someone is a douche. get a job closer to home scrubbing toilets to which you can take public transit. even if you earn less then at the job you require a car for, selling your car and saving on other car associated costs may be more economical. if someone drives to work from milton to toronto by car and doesn't make enough at that job to pay child support they should be looking for other work anyway...and they should've been looking years ago.
Just because someone didn't pay child support doesn't make them a douche; see my comments above. Plus, you've left out visitation. Arguably regular visitation is more important to the well being and development of the child than the amount of money paid. If a custodial parent lives near the paying/visiting parent the logistics of visitation is not a huge issue. However that's not always the case and in those cases taking a car away from someone can limit that visitation ability, hurting the child's well being.

Ever had to take a 1 year old from Mississauga to Scarborough and back, in winter, on transit, on the same day? You think that spending 4-5 hrs round trip on public transit is quality time with a parent? How would one accomplish that trip if the visit was only for the evening afterwork and not overnight? How about if the child had to be in school the next morning and the parent had to be at work at the same time? Think about it.
__________________


Join BMW Club of Canada! Click HERE

Best Engine, Bimmercruise '10 / 2nd - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '10 / 1st - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '12 www.vertnation.com

Last edited by talltorontoguy; 11-10-2010 at 03:52 PM.
talltorontoguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #15
damameke
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30blue View Post
I actually like this law VERY VERY MUCH

there are plenty of men in toronto with 3-5 kids but yet still drive a Ford Explorer with 22's.
Quote from article: "If the parent in default of child custody does not pay up, then the ministry can move forward with a licence suspension."

Moving forward with a license suspension, and what else? just suspending the license will not forced the dead beat to pay child support,(he already made up his mind not to pay child support in the first place for reason we do not know)

he will be inconvenieced for a week .. that's it .. this suspension has no teeth...you still like it Very Much !!!
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015