Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #361
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Well I'm falling a bit behind in my schedule, but thankfully I have some wiggle room on Thursday night & Friday.

Last night I wired the gauge sending units and hooked up the engine harness. I installed the intake manifold & a new Stewart water pump, so the engine should be ready to rock as soon as the new rad/overflow tank go in.

Jamie made me an awesome carbon fibre dash panel that weighs all of nothing, so I cut it up and transferred all my switch/gauges/dummy lights to that:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0422.JPG (133.5 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0423.JPG (131.8 KB, 130 views)
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

Last edited by sb_600; 05-02-2012 at 10:14 AM.
sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #362
Aero
2nd Gear Member

Looking good!

Time to go cut mine up.

My Youtube Channel
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #363
sb_600
5th Gear Member

I used a hole saw (obviously) for the gauges, but just a knife for the rest. Worked great

Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #364
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Here was my task list as of last Thursday - Sorry for the long post, but it's a good read if you're interested!):

- Paint rear bumper and front clip
- Wire gauge sending units
- Wire Wideband O2
- Plumb cooling system
- Install gauge panel
- Install seats & belts
- fabricate & install Lexan windows
- Pick up wheels & tires
- install windshield
- Install hood
-Install trunk lid
-Install fenders & flares
-Install front clip & kidney grills
-Install front and rear bumpers
-Install side skirts
-Rivet roof
-install brake controller on truck
-plug hole in trunk
-corner balance
-alignment
-replace starter
-oil change
-tranny fluid flush
-change front brakes
-bleed brakes
-install new rear-view mirror

Thursday night, Jeff and Barrie (from midnight tuning) came over and we worked on the car. I had the fenders on the car, and Jeff did a great job drilling and riveting the skirts and the flares. Barrie and I wired up the sending units for the gauges, the oil pressure dummy light and the o2 sensor, and it seemed as though everything was on track. We also picked up the fittings we needed for the cooling system and I got that all plumbed up. Well unfortunately my hoses were different sizes, and they didn’t fit. I did some macguyver-ing and got everything hooked up and the cooling system filled.

11pm – Jeff and Barrie leave, I keep on truckin’

1am - My goal was to have the car running that night. I was finally ready to go. Hit the start button.... click. Shit – battery must be dead. Hook up the charger, set it to boost mode, hit the starter again, click. WTF?!? Check all the wiring, find out I connected my fuel pump power wrong. Oops! Try the starter again, click, then all of a sudden, it starts turning, but not engaging the flywheel. Then, all of a sudden it does, and the car fires up! Wooo it runs
Shut it off, try it again, starter doesn’t work again.... Sometimes it just clicks, other times it turns, but doesn’t spin the engine. Seems as though the solenoid was seized. Well that sucks, I guess I need a new starter. Give Arek a call, he’s got an extra – will pick it up tomorrow (Friday) when I go get the tires & the car corner balanced/aligned.

3:00am – install the fenders

3:30am – install front clip

4:00am - start working on the hood. I removed all the brackets, so I was going to be using hood pins on all corners. Figured I might as well lighten it up, so I cut out the middle bracing. Turns out it’s the outer frame that weighs the most – only ended up cutting a couple lbs.

4:30am – do some touch-ups on the paint, knowing the glass guy was coming first thing in the morning.

4:45 am – go to sleep

7:45am – wake up, pull the car out of the garage, and get it ready for the glass guy. Start working on the trunk, take about 15lbs out of that, install the pins, and get it on the car. Sweet – it looks like a “real” car again!

9:30am – glass guy supposed to show up, not here yet.

10:30am – glass guy still not here... WTF!!!

11am – get ready to go run some errands (need to go to Ottawa fasteners, metal supermarkets, back to the apartment cuz I forget the plate for trailer and my sleeping bag). Oh and glass guy finally shows up.

1pm – get back from running errands, Jamie shows up, we get the seats and belts installed on the car, I get the trailer set up, and the brake controller installed on the truck. Bumper gets installed.

3:00pm – we get the car rolled out and in the trailer – on our way to Arek’s!

3:30pm – at Arek’s, get the car on the scales, weighs in at 2415lbs, with of a tank of gas. OMG YES! Finally some good news – a solid 135 lbs LESS than last year (last year I was 2503 with a tank of gas – 30L of gas is around 50lbs). Plus, the hood still weighs 30lbs, so as soon as the CF one is ready, that will be at least another 15lbs less. Start doing the corner balance/alignment, having trouble (never done it by myself before – Arek had gone to CMP with the mortgage dude). Finally get that done, get the alignment done after that, pull out the tires.

6:30pm – start working on removing the starter – have to pull have the engine bay apart (CAI, throttle body, intake manifold, fuel rail)... ugh PITA. Get under the car, start undoing the bolts. FML – stripped the head off one of them.

7:45pm – starter is still not out, Shawn is feeling like a bag of poop, Arek calls and wants to know if I want a burger, he’s on his way back? Hells yes! He shows up with a root beer float as well – I almost hugged him. With the two of us, we finally get the starter out. Put the new one in, hook it all up, OMG it runs! Then Arek says, Hey I’m not going to use these old Conti’s (already mounted). Tires are sh!t, but if you want, take the rims and tires, and bring me the rims back. AWESOME.

9:30pm – load up the car, drive back to Carp, unload the car.

10:30pm – take a break. I’m beat. I have a 20min shower. Wow so amazing – never felt so good. Chris comes back from the theory session at CMP at 11:30pm, we get back to work.

12am – start working on trunk plug. Cut two pieces of aluminum, use a bunch of sheetmetal screws, BAM – done.

1am - install wipers. Set them to low. Have a wrench on the tray below the windshield. wiper hits wrench, wrench dents windshield. SERIOUSLY?!?!? CAN I CATCH A BREAK!

1:30am – start riveting the roof. Make sure it doesn’t fly off on track

2:30am – Chris is done, put his car on the trailer, we move my car onto the lift so we can get underneath. I do a quick nut and bolt check

3:30am – fasten on the bottom of the fenders, solidify it all up, looking good! Wait what’s that water dripping? Awesome, my coolant hose fittings are leaking.

4:30am – Brakes are bled, finally got some pressure in them... hey is that the sun starting to rise?

5:30am – dad has this wicked hose clamp tool that uses wire. Works awesome for 1 fitting, the other one needs a better adapter. He’s
going to go shopping Saturday morning, and Jamie will bring it up to me Saturday evening. Chris and I pack up a bunch of tools (and by pack we mean run around the garage grabbing everything we see and throwing it into a bin).

6am – we’re on the road for CMP, with my car that still doesn’t run.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #365
sb_600
5th Gear Member

I’m instructing all day Saturday, while Chris is taking the school. Instructing was a blast – I really enjoyed it! Got to drive some student cars – 5.0L Mustang, and a Porsche Boxter.

12pm - Lunch break – get the car on jack stands, do an oil change. Barrie comes to the track, he’s done a bit of tuning for me – swap the chip, car runs, cool – let’s shut it down, there’s no water in it.

4:00pm – School is done, gotta get the car ready! Check tire pressures, one is flat. No prob, just start the car and roll it forward. WTF – car won’t start. ECU not getting power. Call Barrie – no idea. Call Arek, do a few quick wiring checks, everything seems legit. Could be the ECU decided to die, or the crank sensor. He’s at the shop and has both. Offers to bring them out. That guy is awesome – it’s now 4:30pm.

4:30pm – Jamie shows up with water and new fitting. Get it all hooked up – awesome! No leaks now, let’s just hope it doesn’t leak when it gets hot!

5:15pm – Arek shows up with new ECU. Swap the chip, plug it in, THE CAR RUNS!!!! Got moved to 2nd qualifying group – I’m on at 5:30. Andrea gets ready, I get ready, we’re on the start line! Woohoo!!! Qualify 7th - bit disappointing, but at this point, it’s the first time i drive the car, and I’m just happy to be out there.

6:30pm - Race time! Car has crazy setup issues – the rear end is way too light. Good battles with a vette while he’s waiting for his brakes to cool down, then he waves goodbye as I see vette taillights disappearing over the upcoming crest. Finish 6th. Cool. I finished

9:30pm - I sleep in the back of my Tahoe. Wake up at 4am as a complete icicle. Turn the truck on with the intent to shut it off in 30 min. Fall back asleep. Wake up again at 5:30 am in a sauna (set the heat to max). Shut the truck down, tank of gas lighter. Lovely.

7:30am – wake up, go write race license theory test. Think I did really bad.

Did some sessions in the morning, things were looking pretty good. Kuno Wittmer (factory Dodge ALMS test driver) was my first instructor. OMG so cool. Later in the day I had Pat Seguin – a World Challenger driver. This is awesome!

12pm – it’s lunch time, and my brakes are toast. Time to do a quick pad/rotor swap. Crap, didn’t bring a C-clamp or piston spreader. Seems no one has anything like that either. Ruh roh. I see what I can do with a pry-bar. One side opens up, sweet! Done. Move to next, fight with it, fight with it, fight with it.... calliper is seized? Seriously?!? It’s 1pm, I’m supposed to be on track. Sh!t. Go see Carl – tell him my day is done. Looks like I won’t be getting my license. Walk back to my paddock, dude waiting for me “look what I found- a c-clamp AND a spreader.” SWEET! The spreader works! Get the new pads & rotor on, its 1:20pm – 10 min left in the session – let’s go!

5pm – school is over, get my evaluation: I did do bad on the theory test, but they recognized that it’s just stuff I didn’t study (I didn’t do the theory course because I wasn’t “technically” signed up for the school). Got my license, but have some studying to do before I actually do a race!

If I were to describe the weekend in a few words:
-exhausting
-mentally and physically trying
-awesome
-stressful
-emotional
-awesome
-ridiculous
-awesome

What I learned: I have an amazing group of friends/family/contacts, and I would not have been able to get through everything I did without them. If you keep at it, you WILL succeed. But there were several points this weekend where I really thought I wouldn’t. Thanks to all for what you’ve helped me with – you know who you are, and my words cannot fully express my gratitude.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #366
Jeff2886
2nd Gear Member

After talking to you on Saturday, it sounds like this weekend (and the week leading up to it) could not have been more epic if it had been filmed and narrated by Morgan Freeman.

Good job buddy!!
Jeff2886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #367
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Nice work dude ... if it's one thing you need in abundence when it comes to race cars, it's patience and perseverence (well, I guess that's two). An money. And time. And an understanding wife. Well, you get the idea

Anyway, glad I could help ... you've put in the hours for us, so returning the favour is only fair!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #368
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Jesus. I need a nap just from reading this saga. Great work to you and huge props to all the awesome people who helped you out!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #369
sb_600
5th Gear Member

haha smart words Arek!

Thanks Jay, and yes definitely a huge props to those that helped me out!

This week, I'm not touching my car

Although I do have a bunch of stuff I need to get ready before the ASE Time Attack at St Eustache on May21st, so I'll be back at it next week!

I have some major setup issues to deal with, so hopefully that will get resolved. We shall see!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #370
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

lot's of power and no traction. Go over to Scotia bank place and make adjustments till your happy.
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #371
sb_600
5th Gear Member

I wish I could - car not licensed means I can't do that. Plus, the speeds at scotiabank wouldn't be high enough to dial it in properly. What I need is a good test day at a track. I might take my first time attack day at St-Eustache in a couple weeks as just that - throw the event and just dial in the car. We'll see!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #372
sb_600
5th Gear Member

This is going to be a busy weekend!

Friday-Sunday going to be at Mosport with 8Legs. Monday, I'm driving to St.-Eustache for my first Time Attack ever with ASE.

As proven 2 weeks ago, the car runs, but needs a lot of attention.

Here's what's on the list:

-build lexan windows
-fix dash cluster electrical issue (getting no tach, speedo, or fuel gauge)
-paint rear bumper
-paint front clip
-install M3 bumper and lip
-re-paint doors (bad coverage - body will get repainted next year, doors are easy to do for now)
-properly mount gauge/switch panel
-sort out rear-end issues (swaybar/shocks/lower & realign)
-lower passenger seat
-plumb dummy lights
-reassemble.

I don't expect all this to get done for Monday. Last night I got all the painting done, and the M3 bumper is ready to be installed. Tonight I'm working with 8Legs, and hoping that tomorrow night I'll be able to tackle the lexan. & electrical stuff.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #373
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Wow - another crazy weekend.

So the last update I posted was from tuesday. Here's what's happened since:

Wednesday

- work on the 8Legs cars. Things are going slower than expected but almost everything gets gone. Head home at 2am, the guys are going back to finish up Thursday.

Thursday

-Head to my place to finish up my car. Jeff comes and gives me a hand, and I wouldn't have been able to do it all without him. Kudos man.
-Finish up some wiring, Dash works. AWESOME
-Install painted rear bumper
-Install painted front clip & new front bumper
-Trace, cut, paint lexan windows. Oh and build/weld/paint supports (damn me for having cut away too much)
-Head home at 2am

Friday

Supposed to meet Arek at 4:30am at his place. Accidentally shut off my alarm, he texts me at 4:35. FACK. Pack in 5min and run out the door.

8Legs Weekend

Friday test day: rented 10 car spins a bearing in the first session . Arek & Eric decide to put Dave (driver of the rental) in the 11 car for the rest of the weekend. Turns out great cuz now they can work on dialing in the setup of that car.

Saturday quali: come in 4th. super excited
Saturday race: finish 3rd. even MORE excited! Car is pushing a bit of water - could be one of the head bolts. Nothing we can do now, just hope it lasts.

Sunday practice: car not pushing water anymore. Maybe we overfilled?
Sunday race: car behind Dave jumps the start and we end up going 3 wide into turn 1 with Dave in the middle. Contact happens, messes up the alignment, but we keep going. 2 laps later, car overheats. Head gasket is gone. Great weekend though - we had a blast.

Monday ASE Time Attack

Get home at 12pm Sunday night. Wake up at 3:45 to head to carp to pack the tools and load up the trailer. Leave at 5:30. Pick up Jamie on the way and head out to St-Eustache.

I decided to run R888 scrubs for practice while I got used to the track, planning on switching to my V710s for the 10 min Time Attack sessions in the afternoon. I tried disconnecting my swaybar, and what a difference it made. The car felt SO planted - it was awesome. Really easy to drive. Still a bit too still on corner exit, so I softened the rear rebound (as per Jamie's advice), and it worked even better during the second practice.

My best on the R888s was a 60.1.

For the TA portion, the V710s were insane. I've never had that much grip around a track. SO awesome. Ran a 57.9 in the first session, couldn't beat it in the second. Finished 3rd in class (RWD Race), with Dad beating me in his Z06 with a 57.1. He came 4th overall, I came 5th, which meant we were in the top 5 shootout.

They line me up first and things are going awesome. I'm killing it on the track, dad is sllllooowwwwlllly catching up to me but not fast enough for the 10min we're doing. Then, I mess up a braking zone and put two wheels off in the chicane on the back straight. Coming up to the carousel, on my shift I accidentally turn off my fuel pumps and the car dies.... WTF!!! By the time I figure it out, this crazy Lachute performance subaru was on my ass (he set the NEW track record earlier that day). He got by me but then I wasn't going to let him get away. He would pull like crazy but I'd catch up to him in the straights. Never had so much fun chasing someone. It was awesome! Couldn't pass him, but he never got away.

Anyways I got DQed because of my off, but it was still fun. Oh, and my fastest lap in the shootout was a 57.1. That's right Dad, I'm coming for you!

I've got a video of my first race session on the V710s - I'll post as soon as it's done uploading!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #374
Jeff2886
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
Thursday

-Head to my place to finish up my car. Jeff comes and gives me a hand, and I wouldn't have been able to do it all without him. Kudos man.
Happy to help buddy
Now it's my turn!
Jeff2886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #375
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

wow sounds crazy!!
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: