Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
mr.rhtuner
2nd Gear Member

E46 wouldn't start yesturday, put in battery worked and now nothing

Hey everybody, I'm in a shitty situation with our only car going down. Yesturday my gf tried to turn on the car and it wouldn't start. I got home, tried it and the dash lit up, and with the key cranked the car kept making a clicking/ticking noise.

I had my friend come by, we boosted the car and it ran. I shut it down, tried to turn it on again and nothing.

After reading the forums, some people suggest to have the wipers on full to see how fast they go, which can be an indication on battery strength. I did so and the wipers were extremely slow.

Off we went to wal-mart for a new battery. Installed the battery and drove the car around for about 30 min last night. Went for food, finsihed and car turned on throughout the night perfectly.

We got home, turned it off and went to bed. This morning we go to turn it on and it seems as if the car wants to crank but it doesn't have enough power. Wipers seem slow again but we have a new battery in

Nothing was left on in the car last night as I checked when we parked it to make sure the battery won't be drained.

Any ideas? I don't know why but I'm thinking it's the alternator since it has a new battery but with the new battery this morning the car won't get enough juice to fully start.

or could it be the starter? even though I heard it trying to turn over?

Any suggestions?
mr.rhtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
grapebimmer
Keepin' it low key

Alternator

2007 e90 328i Monaco Blue
aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si Pro 5R CAI
RIP '84 e30 325e, '87 e30 325e, '96 e36 328i and 2000 e46 323i
grapebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
pawcio
6th Gear Member

i was in a similar situation earlier this year. in my situation it was the alternator.

here's how you can check. get a multimeter ($20 at crappy tire) and read the voltage at the battery terminals with the car off. if the battery is fully charged it should be around 12 to 12.6V. If its below get the car started by boosting if you can and after its disconnected from the car you boosted from read at the battery terminals again. at this point you'll be reading the voltage from the alternator not the battery. it should be closer to 14V. otherwise your alternator isn't charging the battery. after this you can take the alternator out of your car and take it to get tested somewhere to be sure its not working.

if it is charging the battery and you are sure that everything is turned off in your car there might be a relay or something else that is screwed up in the electrical system which is draining your battery. that is much harder to diagnose.

but based on what you said it sounds like an alternator. if you do it yourself its a cheap fix. good luck.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
mr.rhtuner
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys!

Well I got an Valeo alternator from part source but it doesn't have any indicaiton if it's 90 or 120 amp.

Where could I get an alternator in Ontario ASAP besides bmw???
mr.rhtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.rhtuner View Post
Where could I get an alternator in Ontario ASAP besides bmw???
AMI electric.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, battery, crank, e46, starter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: