Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Which one would you buy (2003-2006 model)? Keep in mind its a working vehicle
X5 3.0 10 21.28%
X5 4.4 V8 3 6.38%
X5 4.8is 26 55.32%
Other 8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #31
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

I agree with alot of the posts here boys!

I refuse to buy something that I dont like paying for.
Really tho, the X5 is a good all around option for me and I did some more reading on the 4.8is and they are sexy but painfully expensive!

I will only keep the truck another 3 years maybe a bit more thats it. I currently have a beater and my 3 series.....i get caught with calls and requests last minute (as is very common with realtors) when clients need to see me within 30mins to an Hour!

That means 8/10 I can NOT go home switch cars for presentation and go meet clients in time. Some days I NEED to do both knowingly and dont have the time to go switch cars anyway......

Thats why I have the dilema of buying ONE car for both purposes. A full size is gona be brutal on gas as much as the 4.8is, plus they are UGLY and repairs are just as costly....So really I would just get the 4.8is and LOVE the ride im paying out my ass for lol
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #32
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

if you must get a SUV consider an MDX. far far more reliable and has a lot of creature comforts to boot. i think the x5 is overpriced for what you get. and the rear seats in the MDX are more comfortable I think than the X5. The X5 rear seats feels like a bench seat off a buick.

or get an Eclass wagon. i don't know what age group your clients are but SUV in general maybe tough for them to get in and out of.

but if you want to stick with an SUV why not go all out and get a Cayenne? if you are lucky you may even find one in manual. and bling factor a Porsche for the win. reliability is a different story but since you are using for a commission based job you can write off some of it.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #33
Striker
Turbo Ready

We bought a fully loaded 4.4 V8 from Japan with 30K on the clock destined for Barbados. Spoke with a few well experienced senior techs at BMW who are friends of mine. They said this model has a few issues with the fuel pump and some suspension problems which can be replaced and trouble free.

When the SAV reaches there, I will put it up on a hoist and look at it and get the issues sorted out.

From the reviews (not all are unbiased) 4.4 seems OK and the 3.0's were well spoken about too. Have to note that most reveiws are done with the damn thing brand new, cant really tell about realibility at that point.

What I do know is that the 3.0 engines are having issues with leaky valve seals which causes this particular engine to consume oil badly. We have seen quite a few of these in the shop. The 330ci, 330xi and the 3.0 X5 all seem to be having this issue.

Good Luck.

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
THANK HITLER, BMW HAS ALL THREE
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #34
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

ChrisTO
I dont like the MDX and my client age range is 25-45.
I was actually really considering the Cayenne also, prob is I hear they are bitchs on repair and the V8's are nasty gas guzzling whores!
Although I will not exclude it as an option!! Now that is a balling ride LOL

Striker
My dad actually bought a 3.0 X5 a couple months ago and funny enough he was having problems with the oil dropping low pretty quickly too!! Other than that he really loves the truck. 600km per tank on average. His is the premium package 2003.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #35
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
^^^ you don't need a full frame unless you're planning on hauling/towing lots of heavy crap. Which doesn't sound like the OP.

Full frame trucks/SUV's ride like crap. Even the tarted up ones like the (yuk) Escalades, Navigators, etc... They drive like old steam boats.

I could never see myself owning one as an only vehicle. It would be a work horse for specific purposes and only if I really had no choice in the matter.
Yes, thats right! But towing is a big part of a "workhorse"!!! If you just need the room, get a minivan!

With independent supention, and air-ride, the ride quality is not bad at all! Wont be taking it to autocross anytime soon...but thats besides the point!

But when it comes down to practical, the X5 is not much better then a 5 series wagon....only more expensive and not as good on gas! Baller starus will suffer tho...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #36
damameke
6th Gear Member

5 series wagon would be my choice, with seats down , you can haul 2x4 and dry wall... lol... even an Audi wagon or Volvo... all are nice wagons for presenting your sales image to clients...

for SUV.. Lexus 350 RX over X5... ultimately.. its your choice...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #37
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

those are all very valid choices. It does come down to my preference as well.
I dont like the look of the lexus or the wagons. Im not a family guy so I dont want to drive a family looking vehicle either.

I was always leaning toward the cayenne and X5.

So far I must say this is the most honest and unbiased opinions I have read...especially considering this is a BMW forum! LOL
Old 11-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #38
330Hi
4th Gear Member

Buy my M3 - I'll install a roof rack for you!

Haha... I was/still am interested in an X5 for future but reading about the maintenance issues is sorta changing my mind now... "HMMMMM...!???"

---------------------
330Hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #39
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Yes, thats right! But towing is a big part of a "workhorse"!!! If you just need the room, get a minivan!
Minivan? No thanks

Quote:
With independent supention, and air-ride, the ride quality is not bad at all! Wont be taking it to autocross anytime soon...but thats besides the point!
They've gotten better, but meh all at the same time. I don't particularly like how any of the Domestic SUV's look (at least tho's in the X5, Q7, ML class).

Quote:
But when it comes down to practical, the X5 is not much better then a 5 series wagon....only more expensive and not as good on gas! Baller starus will suffer tho...
But it's still an SUV, which the 5er isn't
Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #40
maranellobmw
MaXsponsor

You will never go wrong with a 3.0!!!

*************WE SELL ONLY 100% GENUINE BMW PARTS*********
WITH MY PRICES AND A 2 YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL PARTS, WHY WOULD YOU PURCHASE ANYWHERE ELSE!!!
******************************KEEP YOUR BMW, BMW!************************************
*COMPARED TO OTHER CANADIAN BMW RETAILERS

Monday - Thurs ** 8:00 - 5:30
Friday **** 8:00 - 4:30
Sat ****** pre paid parts avail for pick up from 8:00-4:00

Christina Crichlow
MaranelloBMW
T-416.213.5699 ext 8054
F-905.856.6373

Last edited by maranellobmw; 11-03-2010 at 03:42 PM.
maranellobmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #41
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

OP, sounds like you've got your mind made up.. nothing wrong with that.
Don't listen to others when making the decision on what it is that you drive and you pay for.

To me, the extra few dollars get rewarded by driving something I thoroughly enjoy.

At the end of the day, there are more reliable choices, however, they don't provide the same level of enjoyment. Is that extra driving enjoyment worth the premium in price to you?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #42
///Maluco
5erholic

I'd say start by calculating how much driving you do (average) per week. You have an idea how much a 3.0L provides per tank and compare with a 4.4 and 4.8. Now add the extra cost for insurance and knowing that something here or there will go on the V8 as you already mentioned. If you do a fair amount of city driving then you know that V8 will suck you dry because you're always going to want to mash that throttle....after all, those V8's do sound badass.

I can tell you now that it won't be a difference of a 'few dollars'. Not only will the fuel cost differ several thousand dollars, so will the vehicle purchase price too.

Just be realistic to yourself and your current lifestyle and keeping in mind where you want to go in life. Sometimes people get caught up in the hype of wanting something thinking that the difference really isn't much but they end up loosing more at the end.

Something else to keep in mind, if you flaunt that you have too much success, certain people will look the other way because they don't want to feel as though they’re making your car payments. I've witnessed this attitude from several business owners.

Like I said before, you will still be able to achieve the same image for the average client if you're sporting a debadged 3.0l X5 with 4.6/4.8is rollers than if you were cruising with the more potent 4.8is.

Find a happy medium and you should have no problem enjoying your future success.

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #43
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

^^ Maluco and Bmwm5lover

You guys are both right!

The 3.0 is probably my option or a V6 Cayenne. I do 60% highway and 40% city driving. So I will get better Mpg at the end the day!

Thanks everyone for all your feedback.

Bc really I love the X5 and the Cayenne so its one or the other!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 AM   #44
rendered
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Lease a diesel x5. 10L / 100 while hauling ass 24/7, 3 year warranty, income tax write off. It's the only way to do business, not dealing with 5+ year old cars for your livelihood.
1+ I couldn't of said it better myself! Purchase extra KM's if need be, or just finance a slightly used diesal X5 if you can find one.

Its a no brainer!! Stop being thrifty! In business, you have to spend money to make money. You said it yourself, its all about image in your field.

Nothing better and wiser than leasing a brand new Diesal X5... save money in gas, get more sales because you're driving an economical luxurious beast.

You buy a used 4.8is you'll be spending that extra money per month, on fuel and repairs. It will even out in the end. I do like the look of the older X5's more.

Last edited by rendered; 11-04-2010 at 05:16 AM.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #45
overlordjd
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoneVR! View Post
^^ Maluco and Bmwm5lover

You guys are both right!

The 3.0 is probably my option or a V6 Cayenne. I do 60% highway and 40% city driving. So I will get better Mpg at the end the day!

Thanks everyone for all your feedback.

Bc really I love the X5 and the Cayenne so its one or the other!
I'm not sure as I may have gotten the wrong impression from all the other postings.

I'm not sure as I may have gotten the wrong impression from all the other postings.

I believe the OP may have made up his mind as he already knew what his core options were and how much he is willing to spend for it.

The decision has already been narrowed down to the 3.0 x5 or the v6 Cayenne. Don't let anyone convince you into spending money you do not want to.
If you buy the year range suv you want, it is just as easy to spend some extra money taking care of whatever issues it may have rather than be stuck spending a guaranteed amount of money on a new vehicle.

Be true to what you want as you will not be happy with your purchase if you are not. Stick to the two options you have already decided on as those are the most practical based on the mileage you would accumulate without sacrificing the bling factor.

good luck with your final choice
overlordjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: