Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

uuc tranny mounts = wow

just installed the black street version with enforcer cups...and all i can say is what a difference! whole car vibrates now under load...a little too much actually.. I installed them correctly (not super tight on the top nuts, can't get a torque wrench in there for 16 ft lbs) and still am getting a mad vibrate...

should i take the enforcer cups off for street driving? or should i fine tune the top nut torque? i like the feel but at times its just a bit much, I'm thinking if I take the cups off it'd be perfect for street. any input would be appreciated
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
naui16865
1st Gear Newbie

I've had the black neoprene mounts with enforcer cups from UUC on my '98 E36 M3 for about 30K Km; no issues, no vibration under any conditions. Did it vibrate before you changed the mounts? Did you change anything else?
naui16865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

didn't vibrate at all before i changed them. just did a straight swap.
I just read some good stuff on bimmerforums, i guess it's a common problem.
I didn't have any preload on the tranny when i bolted it up, actually had to use the jack to jack the brace up so i could get the bolts into the frame but that shouldn't affect anything

I backed off the torque of all 4 bolts holding down the mounts. will see how it is tomorrow morning on the way to work.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Sell them and put stock back in

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Intersted to see what the cause of the vibration is, as I was looking into these tranny mounts. I has my car into Bavarian for them to check it over yesturday and they recomended staying stock for the mounts on a street car, but as I have poly subframe and solid diff mounts I could run poly trans mounts as long as I keep the motor mounts rubber on street use.
Guess what I am thinking is what shape are the motor mounts in and without the flex at the front of the driveshaft going solid mounts is something in the driveshaft, like u joints or coupler or maybe the output shaft lined up in a way it's not liking and vibrating under load with the solid mounts. If it was the mounts themselves it would do it all the tims right? No just when things are trying to move under load?
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

i don't know what to say, they're still giving me troubles. i backed the torque right off of the mounts and it's still giving waaay too much vibration, specifically around 1500rpm.

I think the problem I have is that when i installed them, when i went to put the cross brace back into the frame i had to jack it up to get the bolts started(essentially raising the tranny up)

Will try removing the cups tonight, that should loose about a quarter or eighth of an inch of height off them, dropping the tranny back down to stock height.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
doogee
Stance is Gay.

No, having to jack the tranny up to get those bolts started is how it should be. That's the purpose of the mounts, to hold the tranny up, and yes limit movement.

You have to expect these things to happen when you start throwing poly and whatnot at the car. You're always going to increase NVH.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

ya true enough. i re-did them lastnight, with a different method, jacking the trany up, installing the brace, then lowering the tranny on top of them.(as thats what rob from uuc told me to do, he said the way i did it at first would of put them in tension) anyways..it's a bit better...still not great around 1500 rpm. will definately take the cups off next time i have some spare time.

hey doogee i saw a guy had 2 sets of red ones on bimmerforums a couple weeks ago for only $20 each, dno if he still has them if you were interested.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x Beemer View Post
ya true enough. i re-did them lastnight, with a different method, jacking the trany up, installing the brace, then lowering the tranny on top of them.(as thats what rob from uuc told me to do, he said the way i did it at first would of put them in tension) anyways..it's a bit better...still not great around 1500 rpm. will definately take the cups off next time i have some spare time.

hey doogee i saw a guy had 2 sets of red ones on bimmerforums a couple weeks ago for only $20 each, dno if he still has them if you were interested.

Can you pm me a link, and Kurt I'll split shipping if he has 2 sets
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
I suppose a set for M3 might be okay. I'll have to research how durable they are.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Unless they are the bolt through kind, be prepared for them to fail. Check often. Ploy mounts that are not bolt though are absolute shit ... be it tranny or engine mounts.

If you don't want NVH, use OE mounts (or the the "uprade" e21 mounts). Otherwise, go bolt through and they won't fail on you, but of course will not be as smooth. For engine mounts, the BimmerWorld motorsport knockoffs can't be beat (until you're ready for full solid aluminum).
Old 10-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
yea i'll look for it on bimmerforums. it was a couple weeks ago now so they might be gone.

man these things are bugging me. i installed them the correct way, and still getting too much vibration. I'm thinking it might have something to do with everyones driveshafts are balanced differently.. there should be no added NVH with this according to the uuc website and many DIY's I've read. some ppl experience this problem and others don't.

Definately would not recommend the red ones for a street car though. will report back when i take the cups off.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Unless they are the bolt through kind, be prepared for them to fail. Check often. Ploy mounts that are not bolt though are absolute shit ... be it tranny or engine mounts.

If you don't want NVH, use OE mounts (or the the "uprade" e21 mounts). Otherwise, go bolt through and they won't fail on you, but of course will not be as smooth. For engine mounts, the BimmerWorld motorsport knockoffs can't be beat (until you're ready for full solid aluminum).
Is that true of polyurethane bushings for suspension components too?

And OP, I think most likely you have a problem in your drive shaft like the center bearing or the flex disc up front which the stiffer mounts are now making more clear.

I too, have a weird vibration under load in second gear around 2k rpm... My flex disc looks fine, so I need to check the center bearing.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

ya haven't had time to dig into the problem too much and car is now parked for winter. gotta be something with the driveshaft though.

I wouldn't even get started on the poly bushings argument.... if you have some spare time read through this thread. Rob from UUC gets torn apart by another guy who definately knows his stuff. really good read

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1524975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
Is that true of polyurethane bushings for suspension components too?

And OP, I think most likely you have a problem in your drive shaft like the center bearing or the flex disc up front which the stiffer mounts are now making more clear.

I too, have a weird vibration under load in second gear around 2k rpm... My flex disc looks fine, so I need to check the center bearing.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
doogee
Stance is Gay.

I've seen it happen too many times.

Like Arek said, just about all these poly transmission and engine mounts just rip apart.

There's no reason not to stay stock. Poly is a waste of money on a street car imo.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: