Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Exclamation Calgary Farmer charged with assault for fending off thieves

Quote:

Farmer charged with assault after hatchet attack

Calgary Herald October 27, 2010 Comments (64)
A Taber farmer who smashed a suspected burglar in the face with a hatchet is facing assault charges.

On May 29, a couple arrived at their home northwest of Taber to discover an unfamiliar vehicle parked in the driveway. The 46-year-old homeowner parked behind the vehicle, trapping it, while he fetched a hatchet, RCMP said.

The man searched the house and found no one inside but soon encountered a man in his 20s trying to escape in the blocked car.

Police said the homeowner struck the man twice with the blunt end of a hatchet, smashing his teeth and face.

The injured suspect ran off but police tracked him down to his home.

Police arrested two other men on a road near the house. All three were charged with breaking and entering.

Now, five months later, police have charged the homeowner with assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm.
"Under the Criminal Code, people can use degrees of force when protecting property or a person, but there are limitations, especially if the courts determine it to be excessive force," said Sgt. Patrick Webb.

Joseph Bradley Singleton, 46, is charged with assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm.

http://www.canada.com/news/Farmer+ch...735/story.html
Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Police most likely charged him because the lawyer for the schmuck that broke in told him to press charges because of his injuries. Not surprising in the least. I don't know if hitting the guy in the face with the back end of a hatchet was necessary or not, I wasn't there, but the way the story spins it the guy was just trying to get away, not attacking the homeowner, so unless the homeowner can really convince the courts that he felt his property and well being were in danger he could be SOL. Unfortunate I agree.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Police most likely charged him because the lawyer for the schmuck that broke in told him to press charges because of his injuries. Not surprising in the least. I don't know if hitting the guy in the face with the back end of a hatchet was necessary or not, I wasn't there, but the way the story spins it the guy was just trying to get away, not attacking the homeowner, so unless the homeowner can really convince the courts that he felt his property and well being were in danger he could be SOL. Unfortunate I agree.
+1, you can't assault someone if they aren't attacking you. Especially if they are running away.
If they just killed your wife or your dog, even though not legal I would fully support bashing the ****ers face in. Breaking and entering does not warrant getting your face bashed in by law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Should of used a phone book and baseball bat.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Should of used a phone book and baseball bat.
farmer living uptown probably very low populated are soo dont think phone books are thick enough.

in all seriousness what the farmer did was extreme, and shouldve just hit the legs if anything. My uncle in Texas once told me that his neighbor once shot multiple gun shots when a guy tried reaching for his weed whacker, and got away with nothing.
Aloush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
sirex
King Sirex

like the chinese guy taht was exonerated.. wonder how much he had to pay in court fees.

what a joke society we live in, crooks get the easy way out.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
BMXWill
2nd Gear Member

The scum bag who got hit with the hatchet should just be thankful that he was hit with the blunt end and realize that he got off easy.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Thankfully we live in canada, not texas where there would be a parade for this man. I'm all for protecting your home and loved ones, but when you block someone in who's trying to escape and crack them in the face with an axe you're no longer doing that...you're trying to administer justice. Laws may be fairly liberal and this farmer will likely be convicted but I'd rather that then the other end of the spectrum. Being able to shoot people in the back when they try to run away.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
blk3
4th Gear Member

bet that guy wont be robbing anyone again.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

so the cops charged the 3 guys with Break & enter, so they had broken in, a crime.

you are allowed to perform a citizens arrest if you see a crime..
the guy blocked in the home invaders escape vehicle to hold them there till police arrived,
they didn't want to be & 'violently' ressisted 'detainment' . you're allowed to use force to defend your wife & self..
was it the smartest-safest thing to do, no. either is breaking into people houses!

It is disgusting that this homeowner was charged, like All the other cases.. it very clearly Says You have no self defense rights, or property rights and are to be a good victim - you stupid fkn Slave! so heres a criminal prosecution for having a fkn spine & not falling on your knee's and begging for them to not rape your wife, as you let them do whatever they want.

its like people that immediately pull over after they pass a cop because they were speeding. you'll see people actually post how smart they were to do that & what a break they got, cause in their minds they were getting pulled over for sure, cause they were speeding.
thats some damn good fkn Trainning...
Old 10-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
sirex
King Sirex

sigh
Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
Thankfully we live in canada, not texas where there would be a parade for this man. I'm all for protecting your home and loved ones, but when you block someone in who's trying to escape and crack them in the face with an axe you're no longer doing that...you're trying to administer justice. Laws may be fairly liberal and this farmer will likely be convicted but I'd rather that then the other end of the spectrum. Being able to shoot people in the back when they try to run away.
Really, well maybe consider for a moment that the pos theif gets whatever they get because they are being pos theives. Just because the pos decides to fleee is not imo a " game off " senario, this country is absolutely messed up, siding more with theives than victims. You think that if you broke into the Prime Ministers residence they would have to atop from shooting you or using violence if you went to flee

IMO you break into my home or property its game on and you will not leave alive, in this country you mine as well kill someone in such a case, the justice system (sentencing) is just as big a joke.

Apart from taxation the legal system is the #2 issue with Canada.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 AM   #13
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #14
325isdan
5th Gear Member

You are better off to say you thought the robber was a bear since he was not wearing a orange safety vest.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

The farmer diserved what he got. I don't think that's arguable. He must have felt threatened while the theif was trying to run away... yah right.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: