Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #16
K///Mikes
2nd Gear Member

ok so i started my car 2day after letting it sit all night to see if anything i did the other day worked, rock solid idle!! no hicups or anything, let idle to normal operating temp and no check engine light! turned the car off and did stomp test, still threw "1222" maybe i need to disconnect my battery for a couple mins n reconnect and test again? the exhaust also smells rich, one more thing i would like to add is during idle the L/100km gauge is pegged full over to the right, once u start driving it comes back down works normal, is this because i am to rich at idle? now im really starting to believe its my o2 sensor. any other suggestions or knowledge is much appreciated, ive learned more on this car alone than any car ive owned and i owe it all to this e30 community!
K///Mikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by K///Mikes View Post
one more thing i would like to add is during idle the L/100km gauge is pegged full over to the right, once u start driving it comes back down works normal
That's how they all are.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #18
K///Mikes
2nd Gear Member

well then i guess everything is normal so far! gonna start it again 2morrow n see if everything goes well, im still replacing plugs n wires, and contemplating doing the o2, juss seems im burning rich.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #19
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Just drive it and see what kind of mileage you get from it.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #20
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

O2 sensor only affects the car once it's warm, if your issue is right off the bat when idling look at the ICV first. The O2 sensor would screw the car up while off idle as well.

Something not mentioned is the TPS, this can get full of oil and get sticky in cold weather, shut the car off and open the TB by hand, listen for the click.

At the age the cars are now, not only the components (ICV,TPS,AFM,etc...) but the wiring and connectors to all those components must be checked. Disconnect both ends, and do a resistance check, and a check to see if that disconnected circuit is somehow grounding (broken wire shorting to another wire, or to the body of the car).

As a rule of thumb, I like to clean all the relay, fuse and electrical connector contacts every year before winter. Put a little dielectric grease on them if you think moisture might be an issue.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 10-20-2010 at 02:06 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #21
K///Mikes
2nd Gear Member

as for the TPS if i hear a click is that good or bad? so far i havent had any problems after cleaning my AFM and a bunch of other things, im still going to clean my ICV, and now check my TPS.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #22
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

How can you bypass the O2 sensor? My idle at running temperature is pretty crappy at times and other times it just sits idle nicely. Wondering if maybe bypassing the O2 sensor will be a better idea.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #23
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by K///Mikes View Post
as for the TPS if i hear a click is that good or bad? so far i havent had any problems after cleaning my AFM and a bunch of other things, im still going to clean my ICV, and now check my TPS.
Typically hearing a click is a good thing, it means that the switch mechanism is still functioning. The TPS is a 2 position switch on the E30s. Theres a closed throttle switch and a wide open throttle switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
How can you bypass the O2 sensor? My idle at running temperature is pretty crappy at times and other times it just sits idle nicely. Wondering if maybe bypassing the O2 sensor will be a better idea.
Unplug it, you car will just run on a default safe map.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #24
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Lol.. guess ill give the unplug a go.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #25
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Exactly like bullet ride mentions. If you have running issues while at normal operating temperature, then disconnect the O2 sensor to see if it changes, if it does inspect the wiring and connectors, lastly buy a new sensor.
If you need to save for a new sensor, run it open loop, (no sensor). Around town you'll waste more gas, on the highway it'll be fine as the car will tend to run slightly rich which for engine health is better than running lean.

I ran open loop for almost 2 years at a stretch still had great gas mileage on long trips.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 10-21-2010 at 01:36 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #26
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
^^ Hey man, your sig is too small.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #27
K///Mikes
2nd Gear Member

only at normal operating tempterature will i get the check engine only at idle, at no other time will it come up. after searching through a bit of threads i have heard of ppl replacing the o2 sensor and that was the problem, i would juss like sum hard eveidence b4 i make the purchase, also on a side note i was reading and someone correct me if im wrong but a e34 535i o2 sensor will work! (costs less and the wires are only longer)
Old 10-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #28
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I've heard people using a Bosch Mustang O2 sensor which cost like 30$.

1987 E30 325E Sensor Bosch Part #13008 (3 Wire) $124.00
1989 E30 325I Sensor Bosch Part #13064 (4 Wire) $83.99
1990 Ford Mustang 5.0 Sensor Bosch Part #13942 (3 Wire) * $35.99 *

http://e30world.com/fuel/BMW-E30-Oxy...or-Replacement

Good place to get some research done. You'll start bookmarking a lot of E30 help sites that give little bits of info here and there. Also, don't forget to get the E30 Bentley manual that you can download online.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #29
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I've heard people using a Bosch Mustang O2 sensor which cost like 30$.

1987 E30 325E Sensor Bosch Part #13008 (3 Wire) $124.00
1989 E30 325I Sensor Bosch Part #13064 (4 Wire) $83.99
1990 Ford Mustang 5.0 Sensor Bosch Part #13942 (3 Wire) * $35.99 *

http://e30world.com/fuel/BMW-E30-Oxy...or-Replacement

Good place to get some research done. You'll start bookmarking a lot of E30 help sites that give little bits of info here and there. Also, don't forget to get the E30 Bentley manual that you can download online.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #30
K///Mikes
2nd Gear Member

i have a 91 318i and im pretty sure mine is a 3wire, thanx for the link i have definitly gotta download the bently service manual!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: