Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
Flipr78
1st Gear Newbie

1999 528i ABS Module Help!!!!!!

I have recently purchased a 1999 528i sedan. The car is nice and clean. It has the dreaded ABS module failure. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? The car was in limp mode when I bought it. I unplugged the ABS module and restarted the car. The previous owner was shocked when the car started up and I drove away.

The previous owner said the car was originally diagnosesed with requiring one abs/speed sensor. That senor was replaced. Its did not make the lights on the dash go out. He did not have the money to replace the remaining three sensors. Rather than replace the three remaining sensors I believe that the Module itself is flawed and I am going to send it to Module Master to be rebuilt.

I just wanted to generate some discussion on this and see if anyone else experienced this and what they did.

If I have the module repaired and the lights are still on or some of them are still on, I will replace the sensors at that time? Does this make sense to assume its the module? Seems to be very common with these cars. For three hundred bucks you get it rebuilt with a five year warranty.?????

Flipr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Fabulaz
1st Gear Newbie

Isn't it cheaper to go the other way around... just in case?

I have the same problem right now (DSC+ABS lights on sometimes,) I'm waiting until when I have to put on winter tires to deal with problem. I believe there is a DIY write up on the intrawebs that makes use of a multimeter to diagnose if it is a problem with the speed sensors. $20 for a multimeter at Canadiantire, and if you find out its actually one (or more) of the speed sensors acting up, then thats $20+$30(per sensor). If none of the sensors are faulty and its the actual ABS module, then that's just $20 used (or $0 if you have one already) + whatever you were going to spend getting the module rebuilt anyways.

Would be interested in where you plan on getting your ABS module rebuilt though, in the event that mine needs to be replaced .
Fabulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Flipr78
1st Gear Newbie

ModuleMaster.com seems to be the place to go. For $300.00 you get a five year warranty. Seem to be good guys too.

I'm not sure about you, but I have bigger problems than my sensors. Pretty confident that my module is pooched. They all seem to go on these 528i eventually
Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

There is a place in Mississauga that is pretty good, they used to be called absmodules.ca but they changed their name a year or so ago, ... no clue what it is now but they were quite good.

PS If you end up buying a new module for whatever reason, I hear Stance Factory (Max sponsor) can recode the module at a reasonable price, no affiliation.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Flipr78
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
There is a place in Mississauga that is pretty good, they used to be called absmodules.ca but they changed their name a year or so ago, ... no clue what it is now but they were quite good.

PS If you end up buying a new module for whatever reason, I hear Stance Factory (Max sponsor) can recode the module at a reasonable price, no affiliation.
Thanks for the TIP
Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
john88
2nd Gear Member

Modulemaster.com is in State, is there any shop in GTA?
john88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Thanks for the plug, MLue!

One of our E38 clients used these guys: http://www.bba-reman.com/ Plugged in and worked flawlessly.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Thanks for the plug, MLue!

One of our E38 clients...
No problem, he's one of my buds.

Last edited by MLue1; 10-14-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: typo
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote