Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
m5racer
1st Gear Newbie

Blown Cat....preformance exhaust.....what to do?

hello all.

I have an E39 01 M5 and it has a blown Catalytic converter. Im having some power loss issues and a cold idol issue and im figuring this is prob effecting the performance of the car since its slow as ass now.

Would would be my best option is replacing the cat? Factory replacement is out of the question since i was quoted 4000+ to replace it. . Should i go High flow, remove the cats completely (heard that the loss of back pressure from doing this will result in a loss of power) or is there some sort of oe style replacement.

I'm also looking in the market for a full cat-back exhaust system. I like the tubi (but they are hella expensive), but wanted to know what other people run and which brands I should consider (my daily driver is an A4 so I dont know much about BMW preformance) I already have 2 magnaflow mufflers in the back, and I want something that sounds more agressive + sexy

Some help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

* Im also looking for a shop that has a lot of experience with M5's or M's in general. This car is my baby and I only want the best for her. Something close, or semi close to Toronto
m5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
marek
5th Gear Member

How did you diagnose bad cats? Is the check engine light on? If it is what codes did it set? You could also have a bad camshaft position sensor which would give you similar symptoms. It could also be the MAF(s) which is a common E39 problem.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
m5racer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
How did you diagnose bad cats? Is the check engine light on? If it is what codes did it set? You could also have a bad camshaft position sensor which would give you similar symptoms. It could also be the MAF(s) which is a common E39 problem.
Was told they were blown during my last e-test (may 2010), it had a code for the cat. Pretty sure it was the right side
Old 10-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
marek
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
Was told they were blown during my last e-test (may 2010), it had a code for the cat. Pretty sure it was the right side
I would take it to someone to pull all the codes, as a bad cam position sensor will also throw a similar code depending on which bank it is. You don't want to start blowing money on parts that don't really need to be changed out.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
m5racer
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks Marek
Old 10-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
Thanks Marek
The occasional M5 e39 would come into the dealer with cat problems back when...So it is possible one or both are gone. But be for certain this is the case as mentioned it is costly. Also, make sure the aftermarket are legit as you'd hate to spend say 1500-2000 and then find out it won't pass emissions. However, there are ways around that too!!

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
m5racer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
The occasional M5 e39 would come into the dealer with cat problems back when...So it is possible one or both are gone. But be for certain this is the case as mentioned it is costly. Also, make sure the aftermarket are legit as you'd hate to spend say 1500-2000 and then find out it won't pass emissions. However, there are ways around that too!!
Ya, when I did my e-test i was quoted 4400 parts + labor for the right side cat (OEM Replacement). And if i could tune the car to run nicely with no cats that would be great too

Ceeker, have you ever seen these cars idol like this

Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Just remember running without cats is illegal. So if you do decide to go that route have someone make you a decoy. That way if you ever get pulled over and cops check under the car they won't suspect a thing.

I know one guy that got two aftermarket cats for his 740i $500 for both. But that was a while ago. Eurostyle is parting out an M5 as we speak, message him and buy the used ones
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
if you dont need an e-test, why you fixing this man?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

You should check and make sure this is what you need before you spend that kind of $$$...Keep in mind that cheap aftermarket cats are good for about 1-2 years, and then they fail Etest again. Finding used ones can be hard, but just so happens that i am parting one right now, cats should be off tomorrow!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: