Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Arrow police get more police state powers!! we're 1 step closer to tyranny!

'
interogated by police for about five hours, he stated five times during the questioning that he wanted his lawyer present. The officer advised Sinclair he did not have the right to a lawyer'

so he appealed, but the courts say 'yeah the cops is right - fuk the charter' its all good for cops to do this

Quote:

No right to lawyer during police interrogation: Supreme Court

By Janice Tibbetts, Postmedia News October 9, 2010 Comments (143)

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ri...#ixzz1204x8TKm

OTTAWA — A deeply divided Supreme Court of Canada refused Friday to import U.S. "Miranda rights" to Canada, ruling that it would frustrate criminal investigations and slow down the justice system to impose a constitutional guarantee for suspects to have lawyers present during police interrogations.

By a 5-4 margin, the nine-member bench said that the right to counsel entails a phone call and consultation after arrest, but it does not extend to having lawyers in police interview rooms.

"We are not persuaded that the Miranda rule should be transplanted in Canadian soil," Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin and Justice Louise Charron wrote for the majority.

"While the police must be respectful of an individual's Charter rights, a rule that would require the police to automatically retreat upon a detainee stating that he or she has nothing to say would not strike the proper balance between the public interest in the investigation of crimes and the suspect's interest in being left alone."

The majority added that the prevailing view in courts nationwide is that "we should not (and cannot) change the law of Canada so as to forbid the police to talk to a detained suspect unless defence counsel sits in and rules on each question."

Justices Louis LeBel and Morris Fish, writing a biting dissent for the minority, warned that the majority ruling "carries significant and unacceptable consequences for the administration of criminal justice and the constitutional rights of detainees in this country."

The dissenting judges asserted the majority's fear that the administration of justice would grind to a halt is groundless, since it has not come to fruition in the United States in the nearly 50 years since it adopted Miranda rights, despite dire predictions by naysayers at the time.

In a separate dissent, Justice Ian Binnie said that denying suspects the right to counsel during interrogations gives police a "trump card."

The ruling, which was the lead case in one of three similar decisions handed down Friday, was a loss for Trent Terrence Sinclair, who was arrested in Vernon, B.C., and later convicted of manslaughter for the 2003 death of Garry Grice.

The court also handed defeats to killer Stanley James Willier, of High Prairie, Alta., and Donald Russell McCrimmon, who was convicted of assaulting women in Chilliwack, B.C.

The Criminal Lawyers Association, which intervened in Sinclair's appeal, said the decision settle an "open question" that has existed for years in the criminal justice system.

"It's undoubtedly going to produce more unreliable convictions because it will embolden the police to engage in more tricks and coercion as soon as a person gets off the phone with a lawyer, knowing that the person has exhausted their right to get advice," predicted association president Paul Burnstein.

"It will do little or nothing to help protect the public and we know that because the rules in America are much more robust for making sure people who are detained in police custody have access to a lawyer, and it hasn't in any way impeded law enforcement in the U.S. because they have the largest incarceration rate in the free world."

The Supreme Court majority noted that suspects have the right to remain silent during police interrogations, which they said is not touched by the ruling.

The dissenting judges denounced the conclusion, saying the right to counsel and the right to silence are intertwined because skilled police interviewers "time and time again" persist in interrogating suspects until they eventually crack under pressure.

The three men brought separate challenges to the Supreme Court after losing in the appeal courts in their home provinces.

Sinclair was convicted of manslaughter for killing Garry Grice in 2003.

After his arrest in Vernon, B.C., he was advised of his right to counsel and he spoke to a lawyer twice, each time for about three minutes.

He was later interviewed by police for about five hours, and he stated five times during the questioning that he wanted his lawyer present. The officer advised Sinclair he did not have the right to a lawyer and eventually Sinclair implicated himself in Grice's death.

Willier, of High Prairie, Alta., spoke to his lawyer for about three minutes after his arrest, in connection with the murder of his common-law wife. He was later interviewed by police for approximately three hours. He was acquitted in court after his statement was declared inadmissible, but he lost on appeal and a new trial was ordered. The Supreme Court ruling means Willier goes back to trial.

McCrimmon, who was charged on an eight-count indictment of assaulting women during a two-month period in 2005. He failed in his court challenge to his conviction.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ri...#ixzz1204JtliJ
this is actually very alarming! as mentioned it hasn't stopped america from having the most people in prison, on earth.. but no we don't even get that 'right' sorry priveledge i guess.. oh well accused crooked cops face this too - but again its actually quite alarming

Last edited by bmdbley'sBro; 10-10-2010 at 08:28 PM.
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

slowly going down the drain.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Police can ask you questions, doesn't mean you have to answer them. The only person you have to talk to is the Judge.
325isdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
davericher20
black and blue

"you have the right to remain silent" it said.

Try doing that with 2 cops blasting you for 5+ hours. Sooner or later even the innocent will crack and implicate themselves unknowingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

man this place....
Old 10-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
arek
3rd Gear Member

lol, I hate cops..

My younger brother got interrogated by the police because he was being a smart-ass and told the cop on the bicycle to watch out for cars...

Next thing you know, they held him for 2 hours, and 5 more cops came... and asked him where he lives, ID, what he is doing, where he is going.. held him for 2 hrs!

He was being a dick though, and stood there and laughed at them.. then his friend spit somewhere and got a $100+ ticket for 'spitting', which was later thrown out in court.

I had a bunch of OPP ****s come to a cottage I rented in Manitoulin Island this year, we were partying all night long... had a bunch of friends, brought my son.. and there were 2 other children under the age of 10.. We put cartoons/ animated movies on @ 8:00pm and they were in bed before 10:00pm, my wife took care of them and stayed sober and didn't drink BTW... - while we were outside listening to music and drinking...

So anyway, next day at night OPP show up, start harrassing us.. telling us that they will confiscate our cars if we play music out of them late at night, then the one cop (he lived next door, about 200M down the road) said he doesn't appreciate me cutting trees down in the middle of the day and yelling 'TIMBER'.. and that he would charge me with 'mischief'.. I sat there and laughed my ass off, told him he doesn't know the definition of a mischief charge apparently... didn't know it was against the law to cut trees on your own property, and alert others! If I went onto his property, and cut HIS ****ing trees.. that's a different story!

They also told us they will call child services on us!.. I totally LOST IT.. told him to shut the **** up, and GO FOR IT!.. Kids are playing everyday at the beach,swimming.. eating ****ing organic FOOD, spoiled rotten.. and the driveway was packed with cars their yearly salary.. and these cocksuckers have the nerve to say shit like that.. I was offended.

Last edited by arek; 10-14-2010 at 11:07 AM.
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
sirex
King Sirex

ya its unbelievable that these are "people" too.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

yup, they stand behind the badge and think they are big sh*t.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: