Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
blk3
4th Gear Member

you can jump the starter and if it cranks then eliminate that and you can move on to the next possible problem which on that list for me would be the ignition switch
Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyto View Post
Sorry didnt get a chance to answer you properly....no the lights do not go dim when I am in the start position. No movement whatsoever. No clicking nothing from the starter.
First off, stop worrying about anything engine management related. Cranking is a basic electrical circuit being closed (possibly by several switches). The DME has nothing to do with this.

Start with the basics.

First check the starter relay and fuses.

Again unfortunately I don't know for a fact because I've never owned one of these, but all modern cars generally have neutral safety switches. I'm 99% sure the E39 would have one - you have to pop your clutch to start your car right? If so, check that first. Try jumping it.

Next check your ignition switch.

Finally, but very doubtfully, if all of the above is fine, your starter is being energized so your starter solenoid is dead. But I wouldn't look this way until you go through all of the above. Starter motors fry but you have no clicks or light dims indicating significant load (esp with a fried motor, a non-moving electric motor is basically a short circuit, which is why they kill batteries). So that would only leave the solenoid and those are rather resilient.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #18
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Why can't I just pull the battery or the connection to the DME? Would it not reset? I cant see how it need to be recoded by the stealer. I really don't want to deal with them if possible.

thanks
I would disconnect the battery for a few hours then give it another try. The fact that the "Engine Fail Safe" code is shown may indicate that the code needs to be cleared first before proceeding. I don't know your year but I can clear the codes on my '99 by shorting ping #7 and #19 on the round ODB port under hood for +10 seconds.

PS the Bentley Manual is of no use in this case as it does not cover the Engine Fail Safe Mode.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk3 View Post
you can jump the starter and if it cranks then eliminate that and you can move on to the next possible problem which on that list for me would be the ignition switch
how do i jump the starter?

You mean short the positive and negative terminals? Or attach a power source to it?

Or bump start the car?

BTW...I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine and he said it sounds like the alarm /immobilisers has shut starting down?

I am going to pull the alarm fuse /relay and post my findings..It may be interesting

thanks
daveyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #20
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
First off, stop worrying about anything engine management related. Cranking is a basic electrical circuit being closed (possibly by several switches). The DME has nothing to do with this.

Start with the basics.

First check the starter relay and fuses.

Again unfortunately I don't know for a fact because I've never owned one of these, but all modern cars generally have neutral safety switches. I'm 99% sure the E39 would have one - you have to pop your clutch to start your car right? If so, check that first. Try jumping it.

Next check your ignition switch.

Finally, but very doubtfully, if all of the above is fine, your starter is being energized so your starter solenoid is dead. But I wouldn't look this way until you go through all of the above. Starter motors fry but you have no clicks or light dims indicating significant load (esp with a fried motor, a non-moving electric motor is basically a short circuit, which is why they kill batteries). So that would only leave the solenoid and those are rather resilient.
Where are the starter and relay fuses? are they in the glove box or where the dme is located? I wish I had a manual.....

I will try to bump it today..
Old 10-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #21
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissembler View Post
Car may have overheated and now its in limp mode. You'll probably have to tow it to the dealer to have the dme reset.
I was able to recode the DME and ZKE modules today. I also disconnected the battery and will have it retested tomorrow and reconnect it once again and try it all over again.

This is a bit of a nightmare...
Old 10-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #22
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
I would disconnect the battery for a few hours then give it another try. The fact that the "Engine Fail Safe" code is shown may indicate that the code needs to be cleared first before proceeding. I don't know your year but I can clear the codes on my '99 by shorting ping #7 and #19 on the round ODB port under hood for +10 seconds.

PS the Bentley Manual is of no use in this case as it does not cover the Engine Fail Safe Mode.
Mark, My car is an 03 and I am able to wipe codes and reset / write to certain modules using carsoft. Interestingly carsoft was unable to scan the modules, only rewrite and reset which leads me to believe something is preventing the program from connecting. It may be the immobiliser, or the safety switch...I just need to find them to test them. So if someone knows where they are it would be appreciated if they chimed in!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Lightbulb

Just in case have you tried a different key?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #24
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Yes I have tried a non RF key that I had as a spare...same thing....nothing, no cranking

I am going to test the starter tomorrow once I get the car up.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Davey, check out this post from BF.c,...you maybe interested in post #14 and post #26.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...%27t+start

Last edited by MLue1; 10-11-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: adding info
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #26
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Davey, check out this post from BF.c,...you maybe interested in post #14 and post #26.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=won%27t+start
Thanks Mark!!!

#26 is very exciting, I will try the procedure tomorrow.

BTW...I think the CPS got doused with coolant and may have shorted right off the bat but I simply could not belive that a part like that could affect starting the car although it is one of the items I suspected based on my scan.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

David
Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #27
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
BTW...I think the CPS got doused with coolant and may have shorted right off the bat but I simply could not belive that a part like that could affect starting the car although it is one of the items I suspected based on my scan.
Maybe CPS got doused but when my drivers side CPS was bad the car still ran OK, when I did my valley pan gaskets the plastic covering on the passenger CPS fell off, I just unwound the wires and recovered the wires with black RTV... everything still OK.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #28
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk3 View Post

How do I jump the starter? You mean bump start or connect like a screwdriver or wire between the starter terminals?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #29
Daneee
be cool

Send a message via MSN to Daneee
Quote:
How do I jump the starter? You mean bump start or connect like a screwdriver or wire between the starter terminals?
don't do that if you don't know what you are doing under the car...
you can make a nice fire with that...
try pushing the car first...somebody can help to push back the car...
to change the starter you need max 2 hour...with the right tools
I just did today on my 540i...never did before on a 5 series...or V8
but
doesn't matter if the starter becomes some coolant or water...
maybe just happened on the same time with the coolant leak
on my starter was only a wiring problem on a ground cable and killed my starter
the ground wiring broke from the starter house and made some problems...

here is how can you change the starter...it's a 740i but the same engine
but...first try pushing!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #30
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneee View Post
don't do that if you don't know what you are doing under the car...
you can make a nice fire with that...
try pushing the car first...somebody can help to push back the car...
to change the starter you need max 2 hour...with the right tools
I just did today on my 540i...never did before on a 5 series...or V8
but
doesn't matter if the starter becomes some coolant or water...
maybe just happened on the same time with the coolant leak
on my starter was only a wiring problem on a ground cable and killed my starter
the ground wiring broke from the starter house and made some problems...

here is how can you change the starter...it's a 740i but the same engine
but...first try pushing!!!
I've done this before, I just don't like doing it while under the car...

What I can definitively state to everyone on the board is...No EWS...No starter..If the EWS is malfunctioning it will also disable the starter.

I am going to stick with the EWS as the culprit for now..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: