Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Krown @Catherine...

Krown @ Catherine...

Yesterday, after 2-3 days of no rain, I decided it was a good trime to get the car sprayed by Krown. Decided to go to Krown @ Catherine since its literally
2 kilometers from where I work.

So the appointment time was 11:00. I specifically told them NOT TO spray the engine bay. So while I'm sitting in the office and take a glance at the window, I see the hood is open and 2 people are wiping the engine bay fast while looking at the window hoping I didn't see. Nice try.

Since the E39 rocker panels are divided into sections (about 4 I believe), I removed all the door sills so they would be able to spray inside all of them through the holes.
After its done, I walk over, open the hood to see what the hell they did. And of course, they did spray the engine bay and they did try to wipe it down. After I talked to the "manager", he told me its the over-spray while spraying under the car. Yeah OK, that explains the oil residue on shock towers, O2 sensors and ABS module. Why the hell would they even spray oil on ABS module?

I drive the car back to work and decide to inspect more. I check under the doors and realize some plugs are missing (2 plugs per door). 2 of them were not put back in properly looked the were about to fall. Initially I thought they drilled a hole and forgot to properly plug it in. I drive back there, talk to the guy again and I am told these are the factory plugs. He was right, but what the hell happened to the other plugs? Dude claims they did not have anything to do with these plugs, they just sprayed the door through the drain hole under the door. The plugs just fell off by themselves. I specially remember when I was checking out the car prior to purchasing, I did not see any open holes under the doors.

This morning, I removed the "paper floor mat" they put in there, and BAM! There are the plugs. I still need to get 2 others.

This evening I put the car up the hoist, they did half-assed job. The exposed sections were not fully sprayed, some areas still need spraying.
The E39s have fairly large covers around fuel filter and rocker panels. They did not spray under there. They took their time spraying all over the plastic fender liners (all of them, why not tap the part to see if its plastic or metal?) all over the last muffler and resonator, shocks and struts and brake calipers. I'm sure they did not bother spraying under fender liners.

I decided to take a look inside the rocker panels. Right side was ok, left side: they just sprayed the rear section. The rest did not have any oil in there.

This is the reason why I like to do everything myself. If you have accesses to a lift or u can squeeze in under the car, you are better off buying the cans and doing it yourself. BMWs have enough holes in them to spray rust proofing stuff wherever you need to, without drilling any holes.

If you want to get someone to do it, I'd recommend Krown at Woodroffe. Those guys are friendly and knowledgeable. I'm sure they'll do this a lot better. Catherine St. Krown just wants to get your car in and out ASAP.

Last edited by zarbat007; 10-06-2010 at 09:32 PM.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear about your bad experience zman
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the tip! I also work downtown and will be looking to rust-proof my 328 - now I know where NOT to go!

I brought my last car to the Catherine St. car wash, and they locked the key inside! They had to jimmy the door lock open, and cut the tint all to heck doing it.
Bimmer p.i. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Shitty. If you're in the East End, I recommend Luxe Auto. Everybody that works there is a car guy and they treat every car like it's their own. I'm booked for November 6th. Not sure why I booked so far in advance but it is booked....

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for responses everyone. I went to Canadian Tire to pickup a bottle of my favorite degreaser (Simple Green) but they were sold out.

Oh well. I'll clean during spring!

Carjoe, thanks for the tip. Do they spray Krown or Rust Check?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Rust check. 2 step application. You get the rust proofing and a crazy thick gel to protect the undercarriage.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
ju_le_new
2nd Gear Member

Wow this sucks zarbat. seriously. thanks for sharing
I personally go to ''antirouille metropolitain'' which i think is only on quebec side.. And i've had a good experience every time i went there. I got a question though... Everytime i spray my car they do the engine bay.. but i would like, just like you, to keep it clean. Is there chances that rust develops in there if you don't spray it?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
blk3
4th Gear Member

rust does develope there if it is not protected. just wash it off and detail it in the spring
Old 10-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Hey!

I don't see salt getting into BMW engine bays. They usually have a rather large cover underneath. When I cleaned my engine bay back in July I didn't see any salt.

Just ask them to spray the lower sections. If its already rust proofed, leave it alone for now and wash it off during spring.
I like Krown because it leaves a thin oily film on surface and is easier to clean when needed. Not sure about Metropolitian stuff.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

I heard just today on the radio that Metropolitan has a location in Gatineau, and one on Merivale road
silver 2006 Dodge Charger SXT - performance chip, blue filter Cold Air Intake, 18" chrome 10-spoke rims, custom graphics, leather, custom vinyl interior dress-up, chrome trim package, chrome grill, custom "Punisher" hood badge
Bimmer p.i. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
ju_le_new
2nd Gear Member

sweet. Yep metropolitain also leaves a thin oily film on the surface im going to rust proof my car soon.. ill probly ask them to do only the lower sections since theres still oil all over my engine bay :|

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: