Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

E30 Speakers

Hey guys. Just wondering and wanting to confirm the stock speaker sizes. Got my hands on some Alpine speakers and wondering if they could fit.

Fronts : 5 1/4"?
Rears : 6x9"?

I'm just going to re-wire everything since last time I put a HU in and hard to re-wire power cables and such and then the speakers didn't make one sound.

Thanks for the confirmation guys.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

The rears are 5 1/4, not 6 x 9. Super unfortunate. HOWEVER: you can cut the car and fit 6x9, or just get yourself an enclosure that will fit the 6x9.

What I will be doing is going 5 1/4 so that it will fit under the premium sound grill thing I have, try to keep that stock look.

If you wait around a week or so, I'll be doing it too. We could organize a day of speaker wiring and hopefully cut down on the number of stupid issues that pop up. (for me)
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Ahahaha.... well it's a long drive to Oshawa this weekend. So I was planing on doing it at my parents house considering my dad has all the tools known to man. I will still come help out if you need the help and let you know if I hit any bumps when I return. Looks like I'll be custom fabing the rear speakers.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
dannyb
4th Gear Member

6x9 fit, you might need to be creative but i got mine to fit
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Nice, I forgot Thanksgiving is this weekend. We'll chat on Friday if you're coming to the meet.

I lack tools for even basic repairs here in Ottawa, it's really starting to piss me off. If you (or anyone else) has the stuff to replace a wheel bearing and hub, I'd like to rent/borrow the breaker bar, puller, etc.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Denny or Danny should have the tools. I live in a apartment and lack the space to do anything really. I'm glad to hear that 6x9's can fit with some tricks. It would be extremely awesome to listen to music on the drive to and from Oshawa. I'll have to go to crappy tire and get some electrical tape and some other things because I have absolutely nothing for doing even basic stereo stuff ahaha.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
dannyb
4th Gear Member

Max feel free to pm me when you need to work on your car, I love working on these cars and I have most of the tools needed. Im gone this weekend for family business but we can arrange for a later time.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Wow, Danny, I'm going to take you up on that very soon. I'm just grinding off the rust from my front behind wheel areas, trunk lid and a few other places. Paint and then time for a WHEEL BEARING REPLACEMENT.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
Wow, Danny, I'm going to take you up on that very soon. I'm just grinding off the rust from my front behind wheel areas, trunk lid and a few other places. Paint and then time for a WHEEL BEARING REPLACEMENT.
Man were talking about speakers here!

Anyways ahaha.. Looks like I'll be picking up 6x9's and 5 1/4"s for the car, for a grand total of 60$ total! brand new oh yea! Although I need speaker wire and Futureshop sells it for 43$ =\ gezzzzzzz.....
Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

$60!? For Alpine...

WHERE!?
Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

They are the stock OEM replacement ones. Futureshop sells them for 80$ each.

Anyone have a cluster? I hooked up everything and something shorted out and now my speedo doesn't work and I'm not even sure if my gas gauge or temp one works either now.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Checked the fuse for the cluster, it was blown. Changed the fuse and now everything works once again.

I took out the old 5 1/4"s in the rear and since the Alpine 6x9's do fit in the hole I was like score! But the speakers aren't shallow enough to clear the metal underneath. So it looks like I'll be rocking front speakers to Oshawa and then doing some modification to the metal in the back to get them to fit properly. Other then that, things are looking good now!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: