Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Tips/Advice for Parting Out a Car

I've got a car with a blown engine that I really do not want to fix and since I can't sell it the way it is for a decent amount of money, I'm thinking about parting it out.

I'm going to need the spot that the car is currently occupying in about a month, so my plan is to part out what I can, then after about a month just remove whatever parts are left (not really everything but the major stuff) and scrap the rest. I do have a garage and basement to store the parts until they are sold.

I would appreciate it if someone who has experience in this could offer any tips or advice that would be helpful. I've never done it before so I really have no idea what to expect.

Does this sound like a good plan or is it a failure in the making?

A couple of questions I had...

-What is the best way to store/organize parts?

-Will scrap yards take a car that is very incomplete and will they take a car without wheels?

-Is a Service Manual a must or do I not need one since I really don't plan on putting anything together?

-Are there any websites that would be of help?

Thanks for the help!

p.s. the car is a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V that is absolutely mint and that is why I think there may be some interest in the parts.
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
defaultName
5th Gear Member

I'm sure someone here must have parted-out a car...

Nobody has any advice?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
simplycars
6th Gear Member

I would post on Nissan forum and ask what part people need and start removing what people buy. As to the left over - scrapper will pick it up but if it has no wheels they can damage your driveway when dragging it onto the flatbed. Placing plywood would help.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

You might start with a Nissan Website and not BMW. (Grin)
they won't pick up for free if there are no wheels to tow. a scrap metal guy might with a flat bed. Scrap yard will charge you. 50-100 to take it away and you might need the ownership.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Maybe I'll try to get 4 spare tires to put on the car so I can sell the rims and still move it around.

Is there a right way and a wrong way to remove an airbag? Is it possible that they will go off?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Did it and it sucked. Wouldn't do it again.

With that said, I gauged interest before buying and everyone who said they'd pick up stuff, did. I broke even in the end and everybody was super helkpful in taking off whatever they wanted. My goal was to get the parts I wanted for cheap and get everybody else a great deal on parts they needed. As long as I broke even, I didn't care.

In your case, you might want to start with pricing out an engine and then just selling the entire for the same price as ones around you minus the value of the motor. Less hassle for you and you won't have to wait for no shows or get your hands dirty.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
you might want to start with pricing out an engine and then just selling the entire for the same price as ones around you minus the value of the motor
Unfortunately, I tried that already... I had the car listed for a price where even if you added the cost of a brand new engine, it still would have been a deal. The only people coming to see it were people looking to lowball me and flip the car.

What was the worst part of it? Actually removing the parts, or dealing with all the questions?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Removing all the parts. I spent nights tearing that thing apart.

The questions weren't a big deal. Either you got it or you don't. As for stuff fitting, I left that to the buyers. I'd like to think I gave out some killer deals though...

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

what's "blown" on the engine? why not just fix it and sell the car? Probably end up being less hassle in the end, speaking from my own experiences.

edit: just read that you don't want to fix, but I still think you should consider it.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
why not just fix it and sell the car? Probably end up being less hassle in the end
The problem is that if I was going to fix the car to keep myself then I would rebuild the engine, but I don't want to put that money into the car and not have it sell. Then I'll have more money in the car. I could just dump a used engine in it, but again, if it doesn't sell...

Two other factors are space (I've got one car too many) and I would like to get back into a BMW.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

How much do you want for the complete car?
Serious question: feel free to PM it to me.

Pricing it as "running car-cost of engine" won't work, because then people aren't saving anything..and most people attach "some" value to their labour.

Nathan

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
The sentra SER just uses a regular altima motor. What did RMP quote you for a swap? I really can't see it being that expensive.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
defaultName
5th Gear Member

The labour isn't that big of a deal, about $500 is what I was quoted (not from RMP). Plus I'm sure I could do it out myself.

It's really more an issue of space. I have one car that isn't really worth very much (and has been really reliable so I don't want to get rid of it) and the Nissan. I would really like to get back into an E30, so I'd rather put money into that then the Nissan.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
cisco911
6th Gear Member

how much were you asking for the car with the blown engine? How many kms on the body. On autotrader, your car goes for anwherre between $6 and $8. I don't see the swap costing more than $1,500 (though I don't know how much these engines cost).
If you have alot of space, part out the car. I would take out:

1. Rims
2. Bumpers and skirts
3. Headlights and taillights
4. Trunk
5. Hood
6. Cluster
7. Radio
8. Steering wheel
9. Other airbags
10. interior switches
11. Seats
12. Transmission
13. Interior trim/door cartridges
14. Alternator
15. ECU
16. Doors

If you don't plan on selling atleast these items, then forget parting it out because your will make no money. Selling 2 or 3 items will net you next to nothing. Also, it will take a LONG time to get rid of all the parts. My friend had parts for a civic and it took him forever to get rid of them and had to almost give them away for free. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Everything on the car is for sale. I'm not keeping or not selling anything.

I think I may even pick up an engine crane to pull the engine out!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: